The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   has anyone reduced ZT wheel size and got better ride? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=322863)

paulonsite 7th February 2023 11:51

has anyone reduced ZT wheel size and got better ride?

I'm interested as would like to get a softer ride in everyday driving. I have a later MK2 BUT it has no suspension codes anywhere. When springs broke I had to do a LOT of research to find the right ones. I am not sure though if they are comfort or sport as the OEM reseller my mechanic used had no idea either.

So my first thought was buy or swap for a 75, which I'm actively exploring.

But I wondered if anyone with a Zed had reduced their wheel size and noticed a meaningful, objective ride improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.

torque2me 7th February 2023 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulonsite (Post 2960114)
I'm interested as would like to get a softer ride in everyday driving. I have a later MK2 BUT it has no suspension codes anywhere. When springs broke I had to do a LOT of research to find the right ones. I am not sure though if they are comfort or sport as the OEM reseller my mechanic used had no idea either.

So my first thought was buy or swap for a 75, which I'm actively exploring.

But I wondered if anyone with a Zed had reduced their wheel size and noticed a meaningful, objective ride improvement?

Thanks,

Paul.

#
I've not had any experience of reduced "wheel" size on my ZT but only reduced tyre height from 45 to 40. I was glad when the 40's wore out.

On my Rover 820 Vitesse Sport the handbook recommended 16" wheels (17" from factory) if snow chains were to be fitted.

Kev

tony g 7th February 2023 17:34

if you are not totally bothered about the ZT handling what about 75 suspension and keep the look with the ZT wheels ?

Matt_75 7th February 2023 17:59

A surprising amount of ride compliance comes from the tyres, with a taller sidewall giving a softer ride. I don't have any experience of trying different wheels on the ZT but I did once buy a cheap Fiesta with 17" aftermarket alloys on. I didn't like the way they looked or rode so swapped them out for factory 15" alloys. The improvement in ride comfort was considerable. That said, as Tony suggested, changing to 75 suspension might yield a more significant benefit.

tony g 7th February 2023 19:34

I did it the other way round, I converted my 2nd 75 into a ZT, it was just wheels,bumper and rear spoiler. when i put the wheels on i didn't notice much difference TBO it was still a smooth comfy ride.

https://i.postimg.cc/5tVpS6PB/010.jpg

rrobson 8th February 2023 07:37

I’ve got hairpins on my 75 at the moment simply due to refusing to buy a new set of tyres for the wheels that were fitted. It’s important to note the tyres fitted to these wheels is 225/45/18, a slightly larger profile than standard. I haven’t noticed much change in comfort, there is slightly more road noise but again difficult to notice.
On my zs I did the same as you’re proposing, fitted some 15” wheels instead of the 17’s and the ride is still firm and the road noise is still unbearable on long journeys.
I would say the biggest factor is the suspension, good suspension tuned to the tyres and requirements of the ride will yield a good ride with any tyre and wheel combination. However I never had an issue with the zt I had a few years ago, I thought it was perfectly compliant.

paulonsite 10th February 2023 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony g (Post 2960140)
if you are not totally bothered about the ZT handling what about 75 suspension and keep the look with the ZT wheels ?

I must admit the ZT handling is brilliant. But the ride and tyre noise on long journeys is too much now.

I did ask a very competent mechanic about doing what you suggest and it can't be done. Spring and damper length turned out to be different meaning the existing arms wouldnt fit the new parts. The suspension would effectively stop the arms from working. Maybe others did make it work but we couldn't.

Mr bountyfull 10th February 2023 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulonsite (Post 2960427)
I must admit the ZT handling is brilliant. But the ride and tyre noise on long journeys is too much now.

I did ask a very competent mechanic about doing what you suggest and it can't be done. Spring and damper length turned out to be different meaning the existing arms wouldnt fit the new parts. The suspension would effectively stop the arms from working. Maybe others did make it work but we couldn't.

I selected these tyres and there was a slight drop in road noise compared to the Michelins.
https://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s557..._Noise%3A_67dB

Azur 10th February 2023 18:55

My experience is that tire sizes and wheel sizes do make a difference in comfort. Having both serpent alloys with R17 225 45 tires with exactly thesame tires as on y spokes and crown alloys but size R15 195 65 makes a lot difference in better comfort. I prefer the comfort wheels and tires. (All Michelin crossclimate plus from 2022).