The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Diesel back box heat shield deleted? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=288390)

Bolin 22nd September 2018 19:50

Diesel back box heat shield deleted?

Hi folks

Anybody know if the heat shield for the back box on diesel models was deleted at some point (before Oct 2002)?

Mine doesn't have one, there is no change shown in the parts list or the Drive bulletins and I can't be sure it ever had one (however, it certainly never had the steering rack and lower tie-bar heat shields despite there being no mention of those having been deleted but they obviously were).

I also noticed in the Haynes manual that the diesel shown, late 2003 model or later, doesn't have the back box heat shield and the car would only have been 2-3 years old when photographed.

I have heard reports of cars failing MOT's due to missing this heat shield, so I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Ta, Bolin.

trikey 22nd September 2018 19:51

My diesel is 03 and it has one!

Bolin 22nd September 2018 20:04

Cheers Andy :) - do you know if the VIN before or after 270971??

Just wondering as my June 2001 V6 wasn't reg'd until Feb 2003 so you never know, maybe yours was reg'd late too and the heat shield was deleted after build?? (here's hoping..) :shrug:

Coups 22nd September 2018 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolin (Post 2671471)
Hi folks

Anybody know if the heat shield for the back box on diesel models was deleted at some point (before Oct 2002)?

Mine doesn't have one, there is no change shown in the parts list or the Drive bulletins and I can't be sure it ever had one (however, it certainly never had the steering rack and lower tie-bar heat shields despite there being no mention of those having been deleted but they obviously were).

I also noticed in the Haynes manual that the diesel shown, late 2003 model or later, doesn't have the back box heat shield and the car would only have been 2-3 years old when photographed.

I have heard reports of cars failing MOT's due to missing this heat shield, so I'd like to get to the bottom of this.

Ta, Bolin.

My 2004 Diesel 75 doesn’t have the rear silencer heat shield and has just passed an mot without it being mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trikey 22nd September 2018 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolin (Post 2671474)
Cheers Andy :) - do you know if the VIN before or after 270971??

Just wondering as my June 2001 V6 wasn't reg'd until Feb 2003 so you never know, maybe yours was reg'd late too and the heat shield was deleted after build?? (here's hoping..) :shrug:

4D298068 is my VIN

Bolin 22nd September 2018 22:17

Cheers guys - looks like it should have it then.

Some posts on here had said about MOTs being failed for missing the heat shield, I have got a good s/h one so will fit it to be certain it won't be an issue at the next MOT.

Maybe some testers are interpreting the rules differently?

Mickyboy 22nd September 2018 22:23

Seen plenty with them fitted and plenty without them, seems earlier cars tend to have them more often than facelifts, but for some reason my facelift ZT CDTI has one, but my other facelift ZT CDTI same year doesn’t :shrug:
Mick