The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   advice, running a diesel low on fuel (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=296629)

macafee2 16th June 2019 09:02

advice, running a diesel low on fuel

If I ever knew the answer or asked the question I've forgotten so I apologise in advance.
From previous threads there is an issue about running diesels below 1/4 tank. Does this only apply to those with the under bonnet fuel pump by the bulk head or both those with and without the under bonnet pump?

I don't run mine below 1/4 as I'm unsure but neither of my cars seem to have the under bonnet pump

macafee2

Mike Noc 16th June 2019 09:23

It only applies to cars with both a UBP and ITP Ian, and then only if the ITP has packed up.

With the system working as it should you can go down to the alarm light no problem at all.:}

macafee2 16th June 2019 09:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2740916)
It only applies to cars with both a UBP and ITP Ian, and then only if the ITP has packed up.

With the system working as it should you can go down to the alarm light no problem at all.:}

thank you Mike. Not sure I'll go down to the light but I may go a bit more in that direction.

At the end of a round trip to Mansfield with running about a 1/4 tank is close to fill up time and its not always something I want to do ant the end of a long drive.

I know my wife starts to stress in any car she is driving at 1/4 tank

macafee2

marinabrian 16th June 2019 18:34

I run mine to the bottom, then fill up to the top........both pumps work, and on a single pump car then always until the bottom.

The swirl pot is at the very bottom of the tank, and so is the pickup for the pump ;)

Brian :D

Mickyboy 16th June 2019 18:39

I to run mine from top to bottom, no problem with a genuine pierburg or TI Automotive pump fitted on a twin pump system, and then of course if you’ve got a single pump system it’s top to bottom never needing to think about the intank pump as they just do not fail. Plus on a single pump system the pressure is higher anyway
Happy days
Mick

macafee2 16th June 2019 19:47

cheers guys, I've been so unsure.

can you get £100 of fuel in? :)

macafee2

Sprinter 16th June 2019 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2741079)

macafee2

Do you like wet shoes?

marinabrian 16th June 2019 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2741079)
cheers guys, I've been so unsure.

macafee2

62 usable litres...................so I'm currently paying £1.30 per litre so around £80.

Brian :D

Mike Trident 16th June 2019 20:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sprinter (Post 2741089)
Do you like wet shoes?

:clap::clap::clap:

Pueblo_Boy 17th June 2019 01:59

"I run mine to the bottom, then fill up to the top........both pumps work, and on a single pump car then always until the bottom.

The swirl pot is at the very bottom of the tank, and so is the pickup for the pump

Brian "

I ran around with a five litre tin of diesel in the boot, to check if mine was going to let me down...but then Brian confirmed I have the pump in the tank that never fails, which made me happy! Such great value for money these Rovers!