The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Wheel not moving freely when jacked up (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280937)

Ravinder 21st March 2018 11:14

Wheel not moving freely when jacked up

Had the front end of the car up as brakes were being changed. Noticed that the front passenger side wheel does not spin freely and needs a fair bit of force to get it to turn. Driver side is opposite and spins nice and freely when in the air. Gears were in neutral position. So, this will make the car work more to get the wheel to turn and potentially use more fuel. Any idea what the cause of this is? Thanks.

klarzy 21st March 2018 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2609501)
Had the front end of the car up as brakes were being changed. Noticed that the front passenger side wheel does not spin freely and needs a fair bit of force to get it to turn. Driver side is opposite and spins nice and freely when in the air. Gears were in neutral position. So, this will make the car work more to get the wheel to turn and potentially use more fuel. Any idea what the cause of this is? Thanks.

If not a tight bearing or c.v joint then may just be mechanical play in the diff or the tire or rim rubbing when car is jacked up...

One drive shaft is longer than the other do this could be an issue with rubbing and the suspension hanging loose...

planenut 21st March 2018 12:20

Could you move the brake pads, i.e. piston, a fraction and see if there is a significant difference? it may help to point the way?

It's not the quickest in that you would have to get the wheels off.

Ravinder 21st March 2018 12:26

i should of mentioned as well as the brakes being changed, the passenger front caliper was also changed as my caliper was sticking for the past few days causing problems. The replacement seems ok so far...I think the wheel was still hard to turn even after the replacement caliper was fitted...I’ll double check.

rustymotor 21st March 2018 12:30

Check the disk see if it's not warped by the sticky caliper maybe ?

Ravinder 21st March 2018 13:09

Ok. It’s still the same. New discs and pads fitted yesterday and replacement caliper. Out come is still the same - the wheel needs considerable force to get it to turn round.

klarzy 21st March 2018 13:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravinder (Post 2609537)
Ok. It’s still the same. New discs and pads fitted yesterday and replacement caliper. Out come is still the same - the wheel needs considerable force to get it to turn round.

is it rubbing on the strut or is the drive shaft touching the suspension?

Ravinder 21st March 2018 13:39

Doesn’t appear to be I don’t think. I’d imagine there would be some sort of noise when turning the wheel. There’s no noise. Just that the wheel needs force to turn it unlike the other side.

m2n 21st March 2018 14:57

Drive shaft ?

AndyN01 21st March 2018 15:11

A bit of a faff but try popping the brake pads out completely.

If the wheel now spins freely you've identified that it's to do with pads/calipers/disc. Hopefully not but maybe the replacement caliper is a bit sticky - piston properly lubricated?

If the wheel is still hard to turn then it's drive train/bearings.

Good Luck.

Andy.