The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tyres Goodyear vs Avon (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317681)

Vantheman 7th February 2022 19:27

Tyres Goodyear vs Avon

Sorry for another tyre thread.
I'm looking at getting 4 new tyres 215/55x16. ATS is very convenient for me as they share a car park with my work. Blackcircles equally convenient as they use ATS. Halfords not bad as just down the road. Anything else inconvenient.

I've always bought Goodyear tyres. Tyres on the car at the moment are AutoGrip which were on it when I bought it.
I can get 4x Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 for £434 at ATS, with the current £58 off 4 promotion.
Alternatively I can get 4x Avon ZV7 for £303 from Blackcircles, with a discount for being a CSMA member.
I'm inclined to go for Goodyear as I've always had them, I think they might last longer, I've read things about ZV7s cracking and I don't know if this is sorted, and Goodyear are supposedly more efficient although I don't know if this will be evident in the real world.
But they seem to be going up by the minute and are now getting on for half as much again as the Avons.
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Van

dave lincs 7th February 2022 19:52

Have you considered a budget brand I can say I have often used maxis or rapid brand as with my driving they seem as good and last just as long, had pirelli on my range rover the did 9000 miles and literally all 4 just split and fell apart then on went set of Rapid 609 did 12000 Miles still loads left on when sold it

trikey 7th February 2022 20:01

Maxxis are a good tyre, Ive used them on a few bikes, if they can keep a two wheeler the correct way up at a good lean angle, then they will be fine on a 75.

macafee2 7th February 2022 20:15

Will the Goodyear last 1/3 longer then Avon, if not then the Avon will be cheaper long term based solely on tyre price.
How do the tyres compare to each other for grip and fuel efficiency?
I have Dunlop SP sport on my two cars

macafee2

mcafee2

Pete 7th February 2022 20:21

I've had Goodyear Efficient Grips on a couple of 75s and they're very well suited. Quiet too, on a par with Contis.

Friend of mine used to swear by Maxxis on his bikes too, although I was a bit of a name snob and stuck to Bridgestone, even though the foot pegs were never in danger of getting scratched. :o

LeRich 7th February 2022 20:46

I have Avon ZV7 tyres on the front of my Conty SE (17"). They're OK but not as good as my previous Dunlops.

They are starting to crack in the depth of the treads which is really disappointing given they are quite new still.

polinsteve 7th February 2022 20:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vantheman (Post 2919613)
Sorry for another tyre thread.
I'm looking at getting 4 new tyres 215/55x16. ATS is very convenient for me as they share a car park with my work. Blackcircles equally convenient as they use ATS. Halfords not bad as just down the road. Anything else inconvenient.

I've always bought Goodyear tyres. Tyres on the car at the moment are AutoGrip which were on it when I bought it.
I can get 4x Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 2 for £434 at ATS, with the current £58 off 4 promotion.
Alternatively I can get 4x Avon ZV7 for £303 from Blackcircles, with a discount for being a CSMA member.
I'm inclined to go for Goodyear as I've always had them, I think they might last longer, I've read things about ZV7s cracking and I don't know if this is sorted, and Goodyear are supposedly more efficient although I don't know if this will be evident in the real world.
But they seem to be going up by the minute and are now getting on for half as much again as the Avons.
Wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this?
Thanks
Van

Depending on price I go for either Goodyear or Dunlop. I tend to get higher mileage out of the Goodyear. I haven't found Avon to be very good for comfort. I avoid budget tyres for several reasons:

1. The braking distance is usually not as good
2. Ride quality is lower
3. They tend to be noisier
4. Economy is normally rated worse.

Nowadays when you look online every brand has to show the ratings and for my peace of mind braking distance is a priority.

polinsteve 7th February 2022 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 2919623)
I've had Goodyear Efficient Grips on a couple of 75s and they're very well suited. Quiet too, on a par with Contis.

Friend of mine used to swear by Maxxis on his bikes too, although I was a bit of a name snob and stuck to Bridgestone, even though the foot pegs were never in danger of getting scratched. :o

I think the Goodyear are excellent in all areas of performance. A soft quiet ride and excellent for fuel economy and braking.
On my Kawasaki GPZ 550, I swore by Maxxis on the front and Bridgestone on the rear. They really kept the handling A1. Not so keen on Bridgestone for cars.

Bazzateer 7th February 2022 22:50

Having been a tyre fitter in a previous life I will always go for Michelin when I can afford to. You won't go far wrong with any of the more well known and established brands like Goodyear, Avon, Dunlop etc. I try to avoid budget brands.

Pistons_and_processors 8th February 2022 07:46

I’ve just changed all 4 corners of mine to a budget Triangle Sportex for less than £300. Couldn’t get anything too expensive as all 4 needed doing and I also have other expenditure for this months MOT.
However surprised so far. Road noise is expected for price and handling has been pretty good also. Only broken traction once on a damp road with a camber change. Time will tell how many miles I’ll get out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk