The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Battery warning indicator (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318363)

Rickshaw 22nd March 2022 16:50

Battery warning indicator

Car started ok BUT the battery warning indicator on dashboard stayed on. There were brief instances when it went off - as if a loose connection - but was mainly on whilst drove to a meeting 20 miles away. Same situation on way back. My records suggest this is a 2017 battery so it may be on way out? but might it be another problem ? Appreciate any views before I look into a replacement.
All the best.

Popcorn 22nd March 2022 17:03

If you have a multimeter check you have 14v at tick over on the battery if not could be a failing alternator ;)

Mike Noc 22nd March 2022 20:32

Worn commutator brushes? How many miles has the alternator done?

Rickshaw 23rd March 2022 19:59

Appreciated

Thanks for the observations so far. Re the Alternator , I am not aware of it ever being changed. The car has done 120K miles - not sure how many miles an alternator should last but I think it increasingly looks like this may be on way out since I understand the dashboard battery warning light normally means that it just is not getting it's regular top up from the alternator. Will look around a bit more and welcome any more observations.
All the best

COLVERT 23rd March 2022 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickshaw (Post 2925407)
Thanks for the observations so far. Re the Alternator , I am not aware of it ever being changed. The car has done 120K miles - not sure how many miles an alternator should last but I think it increasingly looks like this may be on way out since I understand the dashboard battery warning light normally means that it just is not getting it's regular top up from the alternator. Will look around a bit more and welcome any more observations.
All the best

Alternator brushes more likely than anything else.---If so, they need to be changed ASAP before they damage the slip rings by arcing and destroying the rings.

COLVERT 23rd March 2022 20:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2925297)

Armature brushes ????????---;););)

Rickshaw 24th March 2022 15:27

Update

Thanks for that COLVERT . I find that the Alternator I have is a Valeo YLE 102500 and that DMGRS sell a replacement Regulator with Brush/slip ring/bearing kit and may purchase once Alternator is removed and inspected.
Cost is around £30 . The alternative of a new Diesel compatible complete Alternator unit from Rimmers is around £183 - YLE 000261.

MSS 24th March 2022 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rickshaw (Post 2925492)
Thanks for that COLVERT . I find that the Alternator I have is a Valeo YLE 102500 and that DMGRS sell a replacement Regulator with Brush/slip ring/bearing kit and may purchase once Alternator is removed and inspected.
Cost is around £30 . The alternative of a new Diesel compatible complete Alternator unit from Rimmers is around £183 - YLE 000261.

There is no need to remove the alternator for inspection and regulator pack replacement. It can all be done easily enough with a set of long 1/4 inch extensions and sockets plus preferably an inspection mirror with light.

Mike Noc 24th March 2022 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2925415)

I stand corrected Jon. :bowdown:

MSS 24th March 2022 23:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Noc (Post 2925297)

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2925415)

Single segment commutator!!!!! :D