The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   centre nut on top od shock absorber (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312023)

bigdaddystew 29th March 2021 16:19

centre nut on top od shock absorber

Anyone know if the centre nut on top of the shock absorber FX112041LP - M12 (now FX112041LP - M12 aftermarket ) be changed to stainless steel ones..Are there any precautions with this or is it just a straight swap...thanks for any help.

madeupname 29th March 2021 16:43

I know the three smaller ones need to be the self locking type.
Can't help with the big one tho, soz.

rrobson 29th March 2021 17:13

You could put whatever you wanted on as a replacement provided the thread is the same. They should also be a nyloc or self locking with something like a nordlock washer.

Will be a very straightforward job

bigdaddystew 29th March 2021 17:40

Thanks guys..I have some in mind I am hoping they are the right ones..
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M4-M5-M6-...53.m1438.l2649

M12 like originals but not sure about the thread...cheap enough so nothing ventured nothing gained ..already have domed stainless covering the three small nuts..

FantasticMrFish 29th March 2021 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrobson (Post 2873961)
You could put whatever you wanted on as a replacement provided the thread is the same. They should also be a nyloc or self locking with something like a nordlock washer.

Will be a very straightforward job

Need to be careful with such a load bearing nut, tensile strength of stainless is significantly less than plated mild steel.

I'm not saying it can't be swapped out but it would need some calculation as you would be reducing the FOS the original design intended.

madeupname 29th March 2021 18:09

Rimmers would be my choice. Just be wary of postage costs :eek:

Typhoon190 29th March 2021 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by FantasticMrFish (Post 2873972)
Need to be careful with such a load bearing nut, tensile strength of stainless is significantly less than plated mild steel.

I'm not saying it can't be swapped out but it would need some calculation as you would be reducing the FOS the original design intended.

:wot: I wouldn't use stainless on suspension. You should stick with oem specified in my opinion.

suzublu 29th March 2021 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon190 (Post 2873997)
:wot: I wouldn't use stainless on suspension. You should stick with oem specified in my opinion.

I concur:bowdown: had stainless with chrome domed cover nuts on and was told to take them off as they weren't strong enough:cool:

rrobson 29th March 2021 19:55

The shock absorber rod is stainless, a stainless nut won’t adversely affect strength. And it’s under compression, if it were holding weight there would be two or three individual fasteners.

FantasticMrFish 29th March 2021 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrobson (Post 2874012)
The shock absorber rod is stainless, a stainless nut won’t adversely affect strength. And it’s under compression, if it were holding weight there would be two or three individual fasteners.

The stainless rod is essentially absorbing a static axial load, and the cross section is significantly more that the nut and the threaded component.

If you then think or the nut applying and equally receiving a torsion load then the tensile strength has a significant part to play.

Worst case design scenario would have a factor of safety of 0.5 (this is unlikely but I have seen it before) and then consider moving to stainless would drop this roughly to 0.2 and that would be getting far to close for comfort for my liking.

Like I said I'm not saying you couldn't do it safely but I know personally I would be going no where near a stainless fastner when suspension is concerned.