The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Lucky find (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=313708)

macafee2 23rd June 2021 18:04

Lucky find

1 Attachment(s)
On the way home with caravan in tow I stopped in a lay by on the A34 to check if the stabiliser handle was down as caravan was swaying.
It was but found the cable from the 13 pin plug was hanging on the ground and dragging. It had ground through 4 wires.

Wife goes into panic mode and I look at it as an opportunity to fix :)
cut back the other sheath both sides of the damage and took a small slice out of my middle finger with the Stanley knife blade, the finger with the skin graft having put a table saw through the tendons a few years ago. Stripped the wires and connected them together with these connectors, I've forgotten what they are called. I pulled them apart again when we got home as the cable was tied to the stabiliser handle I wanted to lift up.

must admit, with radio on I failed to detect that the indicators were not working.

Me and my tool box :)

macafee2

trikey 24th June 2021 20:51

Commonly known as 'chocolate block' connectors, a good get out of jail fix there.

I once lost the live feed to the caravan I was towing, hence no lights in the dark! Rather than attempt a fix, I attached the jump pack to the caravans live supply, managed to get over 150 miles home.

macafee2 25th June 2021 07:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2888117)
Commonly known as 'chocolate block' connectors, a good get out of jail fix there.

I once lost the live feed to the caravan I was towing, hence no lights in the dark! Rather than attempt a fix, I attached the jump pack to the caravans live supply, managed to get over 150 miles home.

thank you trikey for naming the type of block, knew it had to have a name but no idea what it was.

Have traced cable into caravan and have decided to cut the cable in the van and use one of these connectors. This will mean I do not "disturb" wiring into the transformer or the plug to what I suspect are the road lights. I have found a pre-drilled hole, not a gas vent I can use to bring new cable into van

macafee2

trikey 25th June 2021 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2888168)
thank you trikey for naming the type of block, knew it had to have a name but no idea what it was.

Have traced cable into caravan and have decided to cut the cable in the van and use one of these connectors. This will mean I do not "disturb" wiring into the transformer or the plug to what I suspect are the road lights. I have found a pre-drilled hole, not a gas vent I can use to bring new cable into van

macafee2

As Wallace said, make sure you have a good grommet :D