The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brake bleed nipples (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306020)

maxi_crawf 29th June 2020 20:45

Brake bleed nipples

I'm planning on having all the brake fluid replaced on my ZT and think it will be a good idea to replace all the nipples possibly with stainless, does anyone know the size or are they a standard size regardless of car?

Thanks,
Roy

Mike Noc 29th June 2020 21:20

Just replaced mine Roy and they were standard M8 thread. I didn't go down the stainless route but gave them a coat of Copaslip instead.

JerseySteve 30th June 2020 13:50

Just did mine or at least tried to. Bought 2 x M7 and 2 x M8 based on ebay description for vented front and solid rear. However after doing the rears with the M8 I found that the front were also M8 and not M7 as expected. Maybe an anomaly, and not much help but thems the facts.

alan richard 30th June 2020 14:00

You may want to give them a few days for penetrating oil to soak in if they've not been disturbed for a while, Roy.

It doesn't take much effort to twist their heads off.

I discovered:duh:

a

Edit: Nipped to the garage and found my front one - std. M8 thread 9 A/F, For ref 20mm from hex to pointy end.

maxi_crawf 2nd July 2020 15:06

So now I'm a bit confused, is it m6 or m8? and are they same front and rear?

El Del Monte :D

Mike Noc 2nd July 2020 16:00

M8 and apologies for the typo which I have now corrected. The eyesight isn't what it was. :getmecoat:

On my car, a diesel, both front and rears were the same.

xsport 3rd July 2020 17:00

trying to order a new set myself without undoing and checking mine. are fronts and rears the same or bigger on the front. i suppose 180 190 and tourers may vary. i have r75 kv6 saloon 2.5 so not sure if they are the same as 1.8 t or not. i will order some but no point if they dont fit. and i dont want cheap alloy tat like those that came from big red when i did a cylinder and caliper refurb they wouldnt take much breaking off !! any ideas where and of course the sizes. i have standard brakes front and rear incidentaly. .... thanks.

xsport 4th July 2020 17:28

all sorted gents . winging their way from rimmers ... not a bad price really. ;)

Devilish 4th July 2020 19:37

Using copper grease is ok to cover them AFTER the nipples have been tightened. Do not use it on the threads, it causes overtightening.
Snapped off bleed nipples are 50% rust, 50% overtightening.
An Ogre I knew many decades ago would trash new ones tightening them

A little copper grease applied to say ZT wheel bolts, torque down to 75 lb/ft. Actual torque is 90-100 lb/ft.

marinabrian 4th July 2020 22:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devilish (Post 2822921)
Using copper grease is ok to cover them AFTER the nipples have been tightened. Do not use it on the threads, it causes overtightening.
Snapped off bleed nipples are 50% rust, 50% overtightening.
An Ogre I knew many decades ago would trash new ones tightening them

A little copper grease applied to say ZT wheel bolts, torque down to 75 lb/ft. Actual torque is 90-100 lb/ft.

It doesn't cause overtightening Steve, but it does make breaking out the thread in future an awful lot easier ;)

Most people don't understand that these only need a little "nip" 5 Nm, as they are a tube not a bolt.

The rough calculation in terms of torque applied to achieve a similar clamping load to a fastener differential between dry and lubricated is a reduction of 40% so 3Nm for the bleed screws.....as I say just a nip ;)

Brian :D