The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Captain Tolley - I salute you! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=311234)

ZedTeeTee 22nd February 2021 10:19

Captain Tolley - I salute you!

During a pleasant spell yesterday, I managed to get several applications of Creeping Crack Cure applied to the boot seams where the panels overlap, and along the side where the sealant was originally applied.

I've been mopping up water since I got the car, making good on previous attempts and refitting things correctly, and gradually traced the leak to somewhere above the HK Amp.

This morning, when I went out to check, I was pleased to see no evidence of water despite the overnight rain. I don't want to proclaim it fixed just yet as I'll give it another couple of treatments to be sure, but, I'm pretty chuffed with the results so far :D

macafee2 22nd February 2021 10:26

glad you had success. Last year I used most of a bottle around the two rear side windows of the Tourer.... still leaking like a sieve.

macafee2

Thunderbolt 22nd February 2021 11:18

It’s great stuff isn’t it?

COLVERT 22nd February 2021 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2866782)
It’s great stuff isn’t it?

Ian in the post above yours doesn't seem to be as convinced as you are. Perhaps you could give him some hints ???---:D

3disco 22nd February 2021 21:13

If Rover had gone onto making seive’s they would still be in existence today!:eek: I am trying to fix rear leaks on the Rover at the moment I bought the large bottle of Captain tolley so far I have fixed the shark fin leak removed the rear bumper and resealed the square vents, removed the o/s roof strip and dropped some Tolley jollop into a couple of slightly suspect areas, removed the rear plastic hinge panel and used a liberal amount of CP1 sealer in the plastic body fixings,I have a couple more seams to tackle but if all else fails will probably end up drilling a couple of holes to let the water out!

3disco 22nd February 2021 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2866771)
glad you had success. Last year I used most of a bottle around the two rear side windows of the Tourer.... still leaking like a sieve.

macafee2

Are you sure it’s the windows?

macafee2 23rd February 2021 07:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3disco (Post 2866906)
Are you sure it’s the windows?

The near side, yes. The offside, very good question. There seems to be an inner skin and an outer skin when inside the car and below the window.
It pours in between these two skins. I don't think it is the chrome trim along the outside. I have removed the roof rail strips and applied seam sealer ling the seam and I have had a go around the trail gate hinge.
I don't have a sun roof and am a bit lost.

I will in summer ask the wife to help and using a hose pour water along certain places to see if it comes in.
I keep towels tucked in where the air vents are to soak up the water so the car does not flood

macafee2

rab60bit 23rd February 2021 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZedTeeTee (Post 2866769)
During a pleasant spell yesterday, I managed to get several applications of Creeping Crack Cure applied to the boot seams where the panels overlap, and along the side where the sealant was originally applied.

I've been mopping up water since I got the car, making good on previous attempts and refitting things correctly, and gradually traced the leak to somewhere above the HK Amp.

This morning, when I went out to check, I was pleased to see no evidence of water despite the overnight rain. I don't want to proclaim it fixed just yet as I'll give it another couple of treatments to be sure, but, I'm pretty chuffed with the results so far :D

Having resisted for at least 2-3 years the temptation to give it a try I've finally weakened and ordered a nice big size bottle for £15 - here's to a nice dry boot sometime soon:bowdown:

Frogmella 24th February 2021 14:17

Over the last few years I've used two bottles of CaptainTolley's underneath the rear rubber window seal all around the rectangular clips, replaced both rear light cluster seals and sealed up the rear window clip pins from underneath using small lengths of hosepipe filled with silicon sealant.

Water still pours in when it rains. Now I just keep a large towel beside the nearside rear light cluster and wring it out regularly. Sick of it.

I got rid of my Omega Elite partly because the spare tyre well was always a swimming pool after rain, then bought my Rover, silly boy, should have come here first.

MacRob 28th February 2021 18:03

I had a serious amount of water get inside mine over the time it had been sat up and with not using it hadn’t noticed it. It was only when I found mould on the passenger carpet that it came to light. At 1st I thought it was the normal rear light seals, so changed both but still water getting it. The forum recommended Capt. Trolly and I used it along the lower rear window strip. This reduced the water coming in but didn’t stop it.
I then ran it down the sides of the rear window several times and that did the trick. That was 4 weeks ago and not a single drop of water has got in the car.