The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Valeting Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Cleaning the Sills ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=195477)

FezzyFox 16th September 2014 11:12

Cleaning the Sills ?

I've been wondering for ages how best to clean my Sills (the rough bit at the bottom).

They are Longbrodge ones (Body coloured) and the dirt doesnt want to shift.

ive seen plenty of other ZT's with pristine sills.

I've tried simply washing, scrubbing with a nail brush and even spraying on engine de-greaser and hitting it with the Karcher.

the nail brush and karcher approach removed the worst, but they still look very dark.

Any top tips ? :shrug:

Jordan Apex 16th September 2014 11:21

Autogylm tar remover, rub it in with a nail brush again, let it soak in, wash it off, repeat until it looks cleanish then clay bar :)

FezzyFox 16th September 2014 11:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Apex (Post 1788166)
Autogylm tar remover, rub it in with a nail brush again, let it soak in, wash it off, repeat until it looks cleanish then clay bar :)

Will give that a go this evening, I think ive still got half a bottle of AG Tar shifter. Ta :cool:

Jordan Apex 16th September 2014 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by FezzyFox (Post 1788171)
Will give that a go this evening, I think ive still got half a bottle of AG Tar shifter. Ta :cool:

No worries, could always go down the solvent route if it fails ;) don't see how it would fail though :) let us know how you get on

FezzyFox 16th September 2014 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jordan Apex (Post 1788184)
No worries, could always go down the solvent route if it fails ;) don't see how it would fail though :) let us know how you get on

I've got loads of brake and clutch cleaner at home, but i really dont like the idea of letting that soak on my paint :D

Trevor1975 16th September 2014 11:50

How about steam cleaning :shrug: just a thought...

Jordan Apex 16th September 2014 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by FezzyFox (Post 1788186)
I've got loads of brake and clutch cleaner at home, but i really dont like the idea of letting that soak on my paint :D

You don't let that soak it should wipe off with a little encouragement, if you're brave enough :getmecoat:

FezzyFox 16th September 2014 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trevor1975 (Post 1788187)
How about steam cleaning :shrug: just a thought...

I do have a small, mains steam cleaner. It does a good job of shifting grease in the engine bay, but just seemed to wet the sills :shrug:

Jordan Apex 16th September 2014 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by FezzyFox (Post 1788214)
I do have a small, mains steam cleaner. It does a good job of shifting grease in the engine bay, but just seemed to wet the sills :shrug:

You will still need to use tar remover or such a product to loosen the adhesion between the dirt and sill then you can steam them off! A lot of work but if you want it shiny it takes time unfortunately :(

pab 23rd September 2014 16:38

I just attacked mine with a scrubbing brush, hot water and detergent. Worked well. :}