The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   oops! I think i've broken the wireless on the laptop (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=99551)

patrolman pete 7th December 2011 09:44

oops! I think i've broken the wireless on the laptop

Yesterday i noticed the screen and keyboard on our laptop were quite dusty, so i gave them a rub with the duster and caught the power and wireless button and the laptop shut down. No problem i thought, so i finished cleaning and swiched it back on. Once it was back on i noticed i had no internet and that the bars of the wireless indicator had an X through them so i checked the troubleshooter to find that the wireless button needed to be pressed to switch it on. This i did and the wireless light came on but the trouble shooter still says no wireless connectivity and i still have a X through the indicator bars .I also checked my router as it wont even detect my next doors signal but my desktop upstairs can still connect via it's wireless dongle to my router so it's obviously okay.
I've switched the laptop off and on a few times but to no avail and the only way i can now connect to my router is via an ethernet cable and i noticed that my F keys appear to be inop (F10 has a wireless symbol on it) but i've never used them in the past so this may be a red herring.

Thanks Peter (computer numpty!):rant:

stevemac 7th December 2011 10:02

Sorry if this is stating the obvious, but have you right clicked on the wireless icon in the bottom right corner and listed available wireless connections. Then highlight your connection and connect?

mh007 7th December 2011 11:07

First of all, is there a separate switch anywhere on the laptop for the wireless on/off ?
Secondly, have you tried pressing the FN (function) key near the bottom left at the same time as your F key with the wireless symbol on (F10 you say) ?
You could always try a system restore to take it back to an earlier day/time but try the things above first.

patrolman pete 7th December 2011 11:26

Thanks for the reply. I've checked and the wireless is switched on ,tried both the wireless button and also the Fn and F10 button which i've just found switches it on and off too ( thanks for that tip) The system has looked but can't find any available connections. It's appears that the wireless is switched off even though the switched on symbol is showing! As said earlier my router is transmitting ok as my upstairs desktop with it's dongle is picking it up with a good signal it's just our laptop that has lost connectivity with it and other networks. I thought i'd just pressed a wrong button but i think i've probably 'knacked' it as we say around here.

MN190 7th December 2011 11:35

What is the Laptop type and model?

If the wireless symbol is on it might be that you have dislodged one of the antenna cables.
Have you checked that the laptop is connected to the network.

geoffd 7th December 2011 13:02

Key stuck down ?

patrolman pete 7th December 2011 13:15

No Keys stuck down and i assume that the ariel is internal. The model is an Advent Roma 2001. Just tried again by removing the ethernet lead and still getting no connections available even though there is a list of them available.

MN190 7th December 2011 22:40

What does it say on the wireless network connection when you double click on it?

patrolman pete 8th December 2011 18:50

Not connected . No connections available. And it also gives the option to troubleshoot but i've been through all those options! The wireless light is on and can be switched on and off and it also displays it's status on the screen too but it still has no effect as the wireless indicator bars still have a X through them.

Andyd358 9th December 2011 09:18

Have you tried a sytem restore to when it was working?