The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Plastic petrol container in boot (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295006)

doopydug 17th April 2019 11:08

Plastic petrol container in boot

I like to keep a container of fuel in the boot as a precaution but the smell of petrol gets into the car at times. It seems that the can swells in the heat and some of the fumes are able to escape.

Is it better to fill it to the absolute brim so there is less air inside to expand?

Any other suggestions?

Sheraton 17th April 2019 11:29

:shrug: Seems more risky to cart a potential Molotov Cocktail in the boot - than to run out of Fuel ?

I thought the idea was - you carry an EMPTY Container in the Boot. in the event you run out of fuel you can walk/hitch to a filling station.

Paul.

doopydug 17th April 2019 12:36

No doubt - I have been doing it for over 30 years - just the way I am I suppose lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraton (Post 2727453)
:shrug: Seems more risky to cart a potential Molotov Cocktail in the boot - than to run out of Fuel ?

I thought the idea was - you carry an EMPTY Container in the Boot. in the event you run out of fuel you can walk/hitch to a filling station.

Paul.

myfirstrover 17th April 2019 13:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 2727470)
No doubt - I have been doing it for over 30 years - just the way I am I suppose lol

Just out of curiosity , how many times have you actually ran out of fuel ?

MSS 17th April 2019 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstrover (Post 2727486)

And, how many fires have you observed in the rear view mirror? :D
This is a question for the OP.

Ennine 17th April 2019 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 2727443)
I like to keep a container of fuel in the boot as a precaution but the smell of petrol gets into the car at times. It seems that the can swells in the heat and some of the fumes are able to escape.

Is it better to fill it to the absolute brim so there is less air inside to expand?

Any other suggestions?

If you really must carry fuel around in the boot, invest in a jerry can.

doopydug 17th April 2019 16:08

Probably about 4 or 5 times, mostly when Rover diesel fuel pumps have been on the way out and 1/4 tank wasn't enough lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by myfirstrover (Post 2727486)

neilb740 17th April 2019 16:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydug (Post 2727443)

Any other suggestions?

When I was doing my glider training with the ATC (powered gliders, so they did have an engine/fuel tank) The last thing we did each day before the aircraft went back into the hangar was to fill the fuel tanks to the brim.
The reason was, liquid fuel doesn't explode, VAPOUR explodes. So therefore if there is no airspace in the tank then there is no room for explosive vapour.

slovcan 18th April 2019 02:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilb740 (Post 2727525)
When I was doing my glider training with the ATC (powered gliders, so they did have an engine/fuel tank) The last thing we did each day before the aircraft went back into the hangar was to fill the fuel tanks to the brim.
The reason was, liquid fuel doesn't explode, VAPOUR explodes. So therefore if there is no airspace in the tank then there is no room for explosive vapour.

Very true, but back down on earth don't forget (for the OP) fuel volume changes depending on ambient temperature. If you fill a plastic gas can to the brim and then leave it in a sun-baked trunk (OK, boot :} ), it will soon reshape itself into a big red basketball. Will it leak or burst? :shrug:

Maybe the OP ought to give some more thought to fuel management planning. Fill it when it goes under half a tank and never worry again. Bonus, the car will smell good.

roverbarmy 18th April 2019 07:34

When my daughter passed her test, I told her that I had stuck a tenner behind the sun visor, so that she never needed to run the car on empty. It's never been there since! She dare not ring me to rescue her!:D