The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Warning Re Passenger Air Bag (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=309503)

Teflon 26th November 2020 20:41

Warning Re Passenger Air Bag

A quick heads up to anyone who bought their '75 or ZT with a replacement dash already fitted: Check that the passenger air bag cover is still attached to the air bag via the webbing.

A chap over on facebook was swapping his dash back to standard and discovered that a previous owner had cut the webbing on the passenger airbag cover, presumably as they didn't have the right Torx bits to undo the screws :eek:.

With the dash in place, you'd never know there was anything wrong, but if the air bag went off with someone in the passenger seat the results don't bear thinking about.

Cliff

trikey 26th November 2020 20:49

A good shout Cliff, anyone cutting the webbing on a road going car should have the airbag set off as they are sat in the passenger seat as a lesson to them.

Teflon 26th November 2020 21:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2850637)
A good shout Cliff, anyone cutting the webbing on a road going car should have the airbag set off as they are sat in the passenger seat as a lesson to them.

Absolutely. They wouldn't do it twice, that's for sure.

Mickyboy 26th November 2020 21:35

Anybody who fits one like that without the webbing shouldn’t be near a car let alone working on one, words can’t describe dangerous that is, I see quite a few 75’s and ZT’s that the passenger airbag has deployed in my business.
Mick

Briodyjl01 27th November 2020 08:39

I saw the post you are on about and know the owner personally. I was shocked when he sent me the photos.

clf 27th November 2020 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teflon (Post 2850633)
A quick heads up to anyone who bought their '75 or ZT with a replacement dash already fitted: Check that the passenger air bag cover is still attached to the air bag via the webbing.

A chap over on facebook was swapping his dash back to standard and discovered that a previous owner had cut the webbing on the passenger airbag cover, presumably as they didn't have the right Torx bits to undo the screws :eek:.

With the dash in place, you'd never know there was anything wrong, but if the air bag went off with someone in the passenger seat the results don't bear thinking about.

Cliff

My first walnut dash arrived with the webbing cut, via a breaker on ebay (story behind it somewhere in my earlier posts regarding a demand for more postage cost after arrival lol).

I have the tools, so I did swap them over with the webbing correct.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Briodyjl01 27th November 2020 11:16

cutting the webbing on a scrap car when it is in a breakers yard is fine if you don't have the tool on you but someone did it on a car that was being used on the road. The previous owner then tiger sealed the cover back on

trikey 27th November 2020 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 (Post 2850709)
The previous owner then tiger sealed the cover back on

That is scandalous

clf 27th November 2020 12:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 (Post 2850709)
cutting the webbing on a scrap car when it is in a breakers yard is fine if you don't have the tool on you but someone did it on a car that was being used on the road. The previous owner then tiger sealed the cover back on

Tigerseal is even worse than just using the clips! That's a guarantee of a wooden face implant!

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

COLVERT 27th November 2020 12:36

How do you find out if the webbing is intact ???-----:shrug: