The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Battery Isolator (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292847)

davidbooker 11th February 2019 17:19

Battery Isolator

Other than disabling the Symphony radio code, is it safe to fit a battery isolator switch?
The car is only used at weekends, and the battery often won't quite start the engine, and needs help from a power pack. Obviously, I know the alarm won't be active, buy can anything else be damaged by disconnecting the battery?

COLVERT 11th February 2019 18:15

NO.---However the battery is either in very poor condition or needs a 24 hour charge.

If the plates in the battery are in good condition a charge up is ESSENTIAL.--Not charging it will allow the plates to deteriorate after a few months and will drastically reduce its working life.

davidbooker 12th February 2019 06:50

Trouble is, she is only driven about twenty or thirty miles at weekends, often with the lights on at this time of year. There is no problem in summer months. If the weather is dry (I do not have a garage), I do occasionally give the battery a good charge, and this lasts a few weeks. My garage has checked for any background current loss, but all seems normal

Ross R75 13th February 2019 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2710618)
NO.---However the battery is either in very poor condition or needs a 24 hour charge.

If the plates in the battery are in good condition a charge up is ESSENTIAL.--Not charging it will allow the plates to deteriorate after a few months and will drastically reduce its working life.

:wot:

Thirty miles at a weekend should be enough to keep it ticking over, assuming the alternator is doing its job. Put it on charge for 24 hours, otherwise it probably won't last through the winter.

COLVERT 13th February 2019 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross R75 (Post 2711156)
:wot:

Thirty miles at a weekend should be enough to keep it ticking over, assuming the alternator is doing its job. Put it on charge for 24 hours, otherwise it probably won't last through the winter.

The trouble is 30 miles equates to about 1 hour on a charger.---:eek:

A reasonable sized solar panel charger would be a really good idea.

The need is to start with a fully charged battery. The panel then will offset any loss through the cars electronic system plus any natural discharge in the battery itself.

The OP says the car is outside and not in a garage.

COLVERT 13th February 2019 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidbooker (Post 2710729)
Trouble is, she is only driven about twenty or thirty miles at weekends, often with the lights on at this time of year. There is no problem in summer months. If the weather is dry (I do not have a garage), I do occasionally give the battery a good charge, and this lasts a few weeks. My garage has checked for any background current loss, but all seems normal

David. In the technical section of the forum have a look in the thread called-----Really, really useful information.

Have a read of two of my posts there about caring for your battery.---:D

Colvert.

Ross R75 13th February 2019 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2711188)
The trouble is 30 miles equates to about 1 hour on a charger.---:eek:

A reasonable sized solar panel charger would be a really good idea.

The need is to start with a fully charged battery. The panel then will offset any loss through the cars electronic system plus any natural discharge in the battery itself.

The OP says the car is outside and not in a garage.

Remove the battery from the car and charge it indoors :shrug:

COLVERT 13th February 2019 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross R75 (Post 2711193)
Remove the battery from the car and charge it indoors :shrug:

Would that disable the alarm and the dead lock system to the doors ?

Ross R75 13th February 2019 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2711201)
Would that disable the alarm and the dead lock system to the doors ?

The alarm, yes, not the deadlocks. It's likely the least desirable car on the planet for a would be thief, and probably won't go far without a battery anyway.

I normally just park mine in front of my garage and run an extension cable under the door. Hook up the charger and let it do its stuff.