The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front Lower Arm Bushes (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292995)

planenut 16th February 2019 18:11

Front Lower Arm Bushes

Luckily, I don't urgently need this project car and it's taken weeks of having a go with various tools to release the bush housing bolts to free them today.

Yipee, well not quite, having set the car up on stands and ramps, now cannot get the housing out of the space available. Will now have to get the wheels off and try to release the inner ball joint in the hope it gives me enough room.

roverbarmy 16th February 2019 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2711872)
Luckily, I don't urgently need this project car and it's taken weeks of having a go with various tools to release the bush housing bolts to free them today.

Yipee, well not quite, having set the car up on stands and ramps, now cannot get the housing out of the space available. Will now have to get the wheels off and try to release the inner ball joint in the hope it gives me enough room.

Have an assistant push the front wheel forward a bit with a lever (lump of wood or such) and you will have room to get it out. I managed without an assistant but with the help of a ratchet strap. Don't overdo it or risk damaging the strut. Just enough will be fine! ;)

planenut 17th February 2019 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2711876)
Have an assistant push the front wheel forward a bit with a lever (lump of wood or such) and you will have room to get it out. I managed without an assistant but with the help of a ratchet strap. Don't overdo it or risk damaging the strut. Just enough will be fine! ;)

Thanks for that and special thanks to a member who phoned me this morning to offer assistance. I have now got one of the bushes off, and am now in the "struggling to get the bolts lined up" mode. The main problem is the actual angle of the mounting in relation to the bolt holes. So, taking a break then out to find my G clamps.

Shock horror when I took the two new bush mountings out of the delivery box to see that both plastic wrapped units had "R/H SIDE" printed on each, but luckily on examination, I have one of each.

roverbarmy 17th February 2019 10:45

A pair of mole grips clipped onto the bracket help you to "twist and wiggle" the whole thing whilst getting the bolts started (twist upwards, then forwards and back until it lines up). Clean the bolts up well with a wire brush first. ;) Don't force the bolt or you may get it cross threaded. Slow and steady wins the race!

planenut 17th February 2019 15:19

Finally managed to finish about half an hour ago, having had to saw the centre ring of a bush off the arm, but finally finished. Yes, I did struggle getting those bolts lined up.

roverbarmy 17th February 2019 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by planenut (Post 2712111)
Finally managed to finish about half an hour ago, having had to saw the centre ring of a bush off the arm, but finally finished. Yes, I did struggle getting those bolts lined up.

Well done. You've joined the front suspension rear bush club! :D

planenut 17th February 2019 16:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2712132)
Well done. You've joined the front suspension rear bush club! :D

Ironically, I did a pair about five years ago (not this car), goodness knows why I struggled this much again.