The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Upper arms how many manufacturers? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293870)

macafee2 13th March 2019 13:56

Upper arms how many manufacturers?

New rear upper arms for the suspension are now available and have been for some time.
There are a few retailers supplying them but how many manufacturers are there of these arms?

why do I ask, OEM £90 inc vat, genuine £119.99 inc vat.
Before anyone says cos genuine are more expensive I did raise a thread some weeks go about what is genuine.
My concern is that a well know distributor who distributed parts for Rover when Rover existed, is supplying parts to a retailer who is selling them as genuine because they come from the same distributor as before.

perhaps Traders have more of in idea on this.

macafee2

Jamiewelch 13th March 2019 14:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2718791)
New rear upper arms for the suspension are now available and have been for some time.
There are a few retailers supplying them but how many manufacturers are there of these arms?

why do I ask, OEM £90 inc vat, genuine £119.99 inc vat.
Before anyone says cos genuine are more expensive I did raise a thread some weeks go about what is genuine.
My concern is that a well know distributor who distributed parts for Rover when Rover existed, is supplying parts to a retailer who is selling them as genuine because they come from the same distributor as before.

perhaps Traders have more of in idea on this.

macafee2

From what I was told by rimmers "Genuine" parts are decided if they are "Genuine" by XPART. Did you see the posts about the rear bearings? Chinese bearings put into MG Rover boxes then sold as genuine (The label was changed slightly so instead of Made in France it said Made in CN). They were the aftermarket part but reboxed. When I queried it their response what that they came straight from XPART so they don't check what is in the box. So it seems is XPART can't get hold of the proper parts they just rebox the aftermarket ones and hope people don't notice.

There is a significant difference in quality between the genuine rear bearings and aftermarket. For £10 difference it's definitely worth fitting genuine (if you get a genuine one!). If the originals have lasted 15 years or so it's worth gambling that extra £10.

roverbarmy 13th March 2019 14:24

Worth reading:-
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...pper+rear+arms
;)

Typhoon190 13th March 2019 20:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamiewelch (Post 2718797)
From what I was told by rimmers "Genuine" parts are decided if they are "Genuine" by XPART. Did you see the posts about the rear bearings? Chinese bearings put into MG Rover boxes then sold as genuine (The label was changed slightly so instead of Made in France it said Made in CN). They were the aftermarket part but reboxed. When I queried it their response what that they came straight from XPART so they don't check what is in the box. So it seems is XPART can't get hold of the proper parts they just rebox the aftermarket ones and hope people don't notice.

There is a significant difference in quality between the genuine rear bearings and aftermarket. For £10 difference it's definitely worth fitting genuine (if you get a genuine one!). If the originals have lasted 15 years or so it's worth gambling that extra £10.

Hi Jamie.

I found that it's actually SNR that are now not supplying SNR genuine bearings. I specifically bought SNR rear bearings in SNR packaging. FAG bearing supplied in the box, the same as supplied by X-Part. :mad:

Jamiewelch 14th March 2019 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Typhoon190 (Post 2718910)
Hi Jamie.

I found that it's actually SNR that are now not supplying SNR genuine bearings. I specifically bought SNR rear bearings in SNR packaging. FAG bearing supplied in the box, the same as supplied by X-Part. :mad:

:eek: The guy I spoke to on the phone said it happens when XPART run out of the genuine stock, they just re-box things. Also my mate has a Disco 2 and a Range Rover Sport, and comes across the same problems, he wasn't surprised when I mentioned it. I don't know if XPART supply Land Rover parts as well, but it seems there are some questionable practices.

I'd rather be told they haven't got the genuine part and they have an aftermarket alternative, rather than being supplied with the cheaper part at the more expensive price.

genpk 14th March 2019 13:26

This practice of reboxing parts has been going on for ages.
Im in Australia and had a relative from the UK visit.
He works in the parts trade and reckons they get a pallet load of water pumps
in from china,there all in plastic bags, they then box them into whatever brand.
I remember looking into this a while ago and i think there was some dollar value
or percentage attached to a product as what constituted its point of origin ie, if the cost of the packaging and cost of wages etc exceeded the items landed cost,it could be labeled as bring produced in that country.

MSS 14th March 2019 20:31

We should just treat these arms as consumables with a 5-year lifespan. That should be longer than the lifespan of many remaining cars so not much to worry about there.

:cool:

marinabrian 14th March 2019 21:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mss (Post 2719112)
We should just treat these arms as consumables with a 5-year lifespan. That should be longer than the lifespan of many remaining cars so not much to worry about there.

:cool:

There are less than 50 of these in stock as of the end of last week, and the new stock should be coming in from a different supplier subject to quality assurance checks.

The new arms are also to be dipped, rather than sprayed to ensure coverage inside the cavity.

Anyone who says they should be treated as a consumable item, has never had the pleasure of fitting these to a car :p:

Brian :D

Mickyboy 14th March 2019 21:24

Yes them captive nuts are a right pain in the backside, Best attacked with a short half inch extension in my opinion
Mick

MSS 15th March 2019 05:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2719126)

Anyone who says they should be treated as a consumable item, has never had the pleasure of fitting these to a car :p:

Brian :D

Correct Brian - I was hoping that you or Trikey will do mine. I rely on the experts who know what they are doing! ;):}