The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Water Problem. (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=293557)

bilsan330 3rd March 2019 16:23

Water Problem.

I have just had head gasket fitted but I still seem to be topping up with water.Also had new radiator fitted at the same time...I have checked all the hoses and there is no water on the drive when parked. There is no water inside on the carpets.
But on checking the expansion bottle the water drops down to under the mark so I top up with at least 2/3 cups of water every week. I dont understand where the water goes.,.the car drives perfect.

The temp gauge is always at the half way mark and I have lots of long runs so its not over heating.

I have had a new heater matrix but I can hear gurgling of water passing around the tubes. It as if it is taking water from the coolant system...is that possible??? could it be I am losing water as I go along from sort sort of overflow ??? contacted to the heater.

Any advise Thanks

markypicks 3rd March 2019 16:33

may be when you had the new gasket fitted the garage didnt bleed the system to allow for air and sounds like the system is using water to compensate for this . also make sure its not the head gasket repair thats faulty , ie check for water in oil etc , and no milky substance on the oil filler top also check for water leaking out of the expansion tank top etc when under pressure . just a thought rgds mark

bilsan330 3rd March 2019 16:41

water

Thanks anything helps...theres no water lose from the cap or hoses and no water in the oil.

I am trying to find out from all the guys out there if the coolant system is in any way connected to the heater or air con system something going on because I can hear water in the pipes going around as if its drawing water from somewhere...

markypicks 3rd March 2019 16:44

try and contact marinabrian he may able to point you in the right direction rgds mark

Lovel 3rd March 2019 17:14

You have a 1.8T ?

I would check the inlet manifold gasket for sealing effectiveness. Even though they may have fitted a new inlet manifold gasket the seal may not be getting sufficient clamping force due to either the manifold being warped or the bronze ferrules slipping in the manifold itself and no matter how hard you tighten the nuts the gasket will never be clamped with enough force for an effective seal.

Do you have:
Coolant level dropping but cant be seen where from?
Uneven idle when cold?
Super clean spark plugs on cylinder 1 and 4?
Vacumm leak?

Have a look here on a fix.https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...Inlet+manifold

The best long term solution is to fit a VVC alloy inlet manifold and mounting bracket.

If you have eliminated the leak then when you fill up use this simple no cost reliable procedure to bleed the system.https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...light=Bleeding

bilsan330 3rd March 2019 20:03

water

Can some just confirm yes or no can the coolant water enter into the heater system water and if so could it drain out of the car

trikey 3rd March 2019 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilsan330 (Post 2716369)
Can some just confirm yes or no can the coolant water enter into the heater system water and if so could it drain out of the car

The coolant water is the heating water, I think you have an airlock somewhere, does your car have a PRT fitted?

Dallas 3rd March 2019 21:01

Is the heater matrix slowly leaking from the joins and soaking into the carpet, the backing sponge is very thick and will absorb a lot of water and fill your floor pan without you even noticing for sometime to come yet.

planenut 3rd March 2019 23:08

As has been suggested, check the inlet manifold for leaks, these are only obvious when cold and the best way to check is by running fingers or tissue along the base of the manifold. If still nothing, and you are sure that you are not losing any coolant from the expansion tank cap, then I would suggest dropping a n amount of oil from the sump drain plug and examine that oil. If it's okay, you can put that oil back into the top filler orifice. It would confirm whether there is any coolant leaking into the oil. If there is coolant then that might suggest the wet liners have been disturbed during the gasket replacement and the matter should be taken up with the mechanic/garage who carried out the job.

Good luck.

drewbie 10th March 2019 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilsan330 (Post 2716369)

As already explained the coolant water is used in the heater system. You may well see a damp patch under the car after a run, its just the condensate drain from the evaporator, not to be confused for a leak.