The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hiring a large motorhome (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314483)

AndyN01 3rd August 2021 08:00

Hiring a large motorhome

Hi all.

It's a "big" birthday for me next year and we're looking to go to Le Mans.

Thinking of a 6 berth (?) motorhome to drive down and be our base so we're not at the mercy of the on site facilities and avoid some of the queues for food etc.

Anyone done something similar?

Good places to hire from?

And, of course, hints and tips very welcome.

Cheers

BRG75 3rd August 2021 10:57

I don't know how big your birthday is, but should it be 70 then the standard 70+ driving licence will limit you to a less than 3500KG vehicle.

I say standard 70+, because I think that there is a way to carry forward some categories, particularly mini buses.

Sounds a nice idea though, hope it all fits.

Mike

AndyN01 3rd August 2021 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRG75 (Post 2894116)
I don't know how big your birthday is, but should it be 70 then the standard 70+ driving licence will limit you to a less than 3500KG vehicle.

I say standard 70+, because I think that there is a way to carry forward some categories, particularly mini buses.

Sounds a nice idea though, hope it all fits.

Mike

Cheers Mike.

I've been called an old person breaking wind on several occasions - something to do with driving a Rover 75 and being focussed on comfort but it's not my 70th.

Nor my 80th before any of the Nano crew jump in ;).

It's been something I've fancied doing for a while. Don't really follow F1 anymore and have marshalled several Silverstone 6 hour races including one in the pit lane long before any speed restrictions :eek:.

To give you an idea of how long ago it was Derek Bell & Jackie Ickx who were in the works Porsche's and the Lancia that won with Alboreto & Patrese (the other one blew up!). It was reckoned that they were into 3 figures as they came past us with the safety barrier being a line of white paint........

Ah, the good old days :D.

stocktake 3rd August 2021 13:13

Just make sure it has space to stand your birthday card from the Queen :D

stevestrat 3rd August 2021 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyN01 (Post 2894132)
Don't really follow F1 anymore and have marshalled several Silverstone 6 hour races including one in the pit lane long before any speed restrictions :eek:.

Ah, the good old days :D.

Must have been a privilege watching Fangio in his prime.

grout20 3rd August 2021 16:23

Hi Andy

Have a look at "Just Go" motorhome hire. They are good and will probably have a 6 Berth Roller Team MH for hire.

They will also have a solar panel fitted so you can rely on Leisure Battery 12V power and not need EHU (Electric Hook Up) as long as you are careful.

Just Go are in Dunstable so may be a convenient place to drive south to on your way to ferry/tunnel crossing with your tourer fully loaded with your stuff!

They will also have all the tips/info needed to drive safely and legally in France too.

Research what you can and can't take with you now since Brexit......

Cheers
John

Dorset Bob 4th August 2021 11:18

I have never done it, but toyed with the idea.

Another option is to hire a left hooker on the other side of the channel.
There are hire companies in the port areas of France and also in and around Paris.
Saves on the ferry costs, or you could go by train.
If you whip out your Senior Railcard, you could get a sparkling deal! :D

stevestrat 4th August 2021 12:18

My aunt and uncle used to have camper vans . . . . normally well past their best :eek: The last one they had (can't recall the make) had a piece of cardboard on top of the battery to stop it shorting out against the underside of the driver's seat.

AndyN01 4th August 2021 17:24

Thanks everyone for the useful info......

And the wildly inaccurate age guessing.....

And the reason why the folks on here are the great and the good. ;).

Cheers.

BRG75 4th August 2021 17:48

Best I apologise for the incorrect age guess.

Delighted to hear that it was wildly out, but does that mean that you missed the great era in Rock n Roll.

10 years old in 1957, so I missed a few of them myself.

Regards

Mike