The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rain sensing wipers question (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=105298)

R.Lewis 15th February 2012 21:43

Rain sensing wipers question

Can the rain sensing wipers be switched off? I really don't like them much! I intend to use Rain-X on screen as I've found it very effective and rain sensing wipers will really mess things up I feel.

T-Cut 15th February 2012 22:16

Only by setting the stalk to one of the continuous wipe modes. Or don't switch them on at all.

TC

Simon.h 16th February 2012 13:55

Wipers controls are-

Position 0 - off
" 1 - Intermittent wipe, if rain sensors fitted then this is auto.
" 2 - Normal speed
" 3 - Fast speed.

Why turn them off?

vitesse-chris 16th February 2012 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon.h (Post 927058)
Wipers controls are-

Position 0 - off
" 2 - Normal speed
" 3 - Fast speed.

Why turn them off?

I was thinking the same! I am in the middle of retro fitting the rain sensor ;)

chipsceola 16th February 2012 14:08

The only 'drawback' I can see with rain sensing wipers is:

1. You switch them to intermittent, where they operate on auto basis according to water on screen.

2. If it stops raining, and you forget to switch them off, it is not obvious they remain 'on'

3. The first time you select reverse, the rear wiper will drag across a dry rear screen!

Remedy, always switch off before removing ignition key.

Chips

coolcat 16th February 2012 14:17

When I got my first Zed in 2007 and found out it had rain sensing wipers...I thought what a stupid gimmick, how hard can it be to switch wipers on.
After the first rain storm I encountered I thought...What a brilliant invention, how did I ever drive a car without them:D
Perhaps the Op's wiper blades are making a noise or not cleaning the screen effectively and thats why he doesn't want to use them.
Each to their own I guess.

rich17865 16th February 2012 18:32

I have rain sensing wipers, when I use speed 1 instead of intermittent speed, after a while they will revert to the intermittent setting and eventually back to the off (on in the background) setting on their own. This is without moving the stalk to another position.

I am not convinced they can be turned off completely, maybe the sensitivity can be changed to something ridiculous so that they will not sense the rain using T4?

vitesse-chris 16th February 2012 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by rich17865 (Post 927269)
I have rain sensing wipers, when I use speed 1 instead of intermittent speed, after a while they will revert to the intermittent setting and eventually back to the off (on in the background) setting on their own. This is without moving the stalk to another position.

I am not convinced they can be turned off completely, maybe the sensitivity can be changed to something ridiculous so that they will not sense the rain using T4?

I don't think it can, some one might confirm this...

If you don't want the rain sensor working and just want intermittent wipers, prehaps just unplug the sensor? :shrug:

R.Lewis 17th February 2012 07:40

Makes more sense now. Guess I did not now how they worked!!! I thought they were a bit erratic.....

David3807 17th February 2012 07:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon.h (Post 927058)
Wipers controls are-

Position 0 - off
" 2 - Normal speed
" 3 - Fast speed.

Why turn them off?

Cos if you run a Tourer and the front wipers are ON then the rear wiper gives a wipe or two every time you select reverse which could be worrking on a dry and dirty screen.