The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   I finally have a 75 - and here's what I think of my 1.8 Classic SE (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299780)

ashy90 6th October 2019 20:37

I finally have a 75 - and here's what I think of my 1.8 Classic SE

Ive owned many modern day Rover's. My every day car that I keep long term has always been a Rover, but also alongside that I have bought many Rovers that are non runners, spares or repair or needing attention. I like to fix them and save them from being scrapped. I think it's around 20 I have owned. But never have I had a 75. Until now.

I recently rescued a w reg 1.8 saloon that was going to be broken up. It's quite a low spec model (classic se I believe) but it has only done 43k miles! It had an external coolant leak from the head gasket. I have replaced the head gasket and just started driving it, these are my first impressions;

-lovely interior

-very comfortable seats and driving position

-quite a few interior creaks and rattles etc which is a suprise I must admit. There's more creaks and rattles than my 2002 Rover 45 has which has done double the mileage. The doors/door cards, centre arm rest and clutch pedal all seem to creak or squeek.

-the 1.8 engine is not that bad! I do not think it is particularly underrpowered. It might be a bit sluggish initially, but it goes quite nicely when pushed. The engine noise is more hushed than the k series in other Rover's, which is good, however it is still fairly noisey at higher speeds. There's no getting away from the k series booming away at 70mph it seems. Did I read the autos are quieter as they sit at a lower rpm cruising at 70?

I must admit I am concerned about driving it for one reason. The clutch hydraulics. Are they that bad?

Rogue 6th October 2019 20:41

It's only really the diesels you need to worry about the clutches.

COLVERT 6th October 2019 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2767065)
It's only really the diesels you need to worry about the clutches.

Excuse me, WHY ???

My R75 diesel hit the road in 2003 and still has the original clutch which is working well.

16 years !!!! I mean, what do you expect ???---:shrug:---:D:D:D

bl52krz 6th October 2019 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2767079)
Excuse me, WHY ???

My R75 diesel hit the road in 2003 and still has the original clutch which is working well.

16 years !!!! I mean, what do you expect ???---:shrug:---:D:D:D

And mine was on the road December 2002. Same clutch as far as I know. 106,000 miles.

macafee2 7th October 2019 07:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashy90 (Post 2767061)
Ive owned many modern day Rover's. My every day car that I keep long term has always been a Rover, but also alongside that I have bought many Rovers that are non runners, spares or repair or needing attention. I like to fix them and save them from being scrapped. I think it's around 20 I have owned. But never have I had a 75. Until now.

I recently rescued a w reg 1.8 saloon that was going to be broken up. It's quite a low spec model (classic se I believe) but it has only done 43k miles! It had an external coolant leak from the head gasket. I have replaced the head gasket and just started driving it, these are my first impressions;

-lovely interior

-very comfortable seats and driving position

-quite a few interior creaks and rattles etc which is a suprise I must admit. There's more creaks and rattles than my 2002 Rover 45 has which has done double the mileage. The doors/door cards, centre arm rest and clutch pedal all seem to creak or squeek.

-the 1.8 engine is not that bad! I do not think it is particularly underrpowered. It might be a bit sluggish initially, but it goes quite nicely when pushed. The engine noise is more hushed than the k series in other Rover's, which is good, however it is still fairly noisey at higher speeds. There's no getting away from the k series booming away at 70mph it seems. Did I read the autos are quieter as they sit at a lower rpm cruising at 70?

I must admit I am concerned about driving it for one reason. The clutch hydraulics. Are they that bad?

if you are a dab hand with a spanner, it is more frustrating and time consuming then difficult to do a clutch.

macafee2

FLYING BANANA 7th October 2019 07:36

Original clutch in Banana, 1.8t, and is currently on 206,500 miles.

macafee2 7th October 2019 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA (Post 2767120)
Original clutch in Banana, 1.8t, and is currently on 206,500 miles.

show off:D. changed slave and master in my diesel last year and something has failed this year. Not yet sure what is wrong, hoping with help to "prove" today

macafee2

cantabro75 7th October 2019 12:06

223.456 klm,,,,cluch change twice

Bogbrush82 7th October 2019 12:33

105k before mine needed doing.

DMF is still fine though.

Comfortably Numb 7th October 2019 18:39

My 2001 CDT clutch finally expired at 132,000 miles. Hydraulics still worked, but thrust bearing had gone, as had the rivets on the driven plate. Still had full drive, with floating friction material!