The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Led bulbs (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312308)

Rover04 11th April 2021 12:13

Led bulbs

I know this has probably been done to death but has anyone found a source of good, reliable, canbus friendly LED rear lights? I have replaced the reversing lights (I know they are not on the canbus) but would like to replace the indicators and rear lights as well.

AndyN01 11th April 2021 12:25

Hi and welcome along :}

Take a look here:

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=311277

Rick is very well known & regarded on here.

sewerman 11th April 2021 12:58

For the indicator I use standard Osram chromatic , just a bright as led in my opinion and no canbus issues.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Rick-sta 11th April 2021 13:06

Thanks for the mention Andy :)

I done quite a bit of testing on various LED tail light and indicator bulbs last year and am now able to offer sets which all work plug and play with no resistors needed and no canbus issues. See the link in Andy's reply above :)

stevestrat 11th April 2021 14:35

I'm not keen on LEDs. I had LED sidelights in the old 1.8T, one of them went but, presumably because of the internal resistor maintaining a through circuit, it didn't trigger the bulb failure warning. Just happened to notice as I was putting the car in the garage one evening.

VVC-Geeza 11th April 2021 17:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2876261)
Thanks for the mention Andy :)

I done quite a bit of testing on various LED tail light and indicator bulbs last year and am now able to offer sets which all work plug and play with no resistors needed and no canbus issues. See the link in Andy's reply above :)

Hi Rick

did you ever look into led main beam bulbs?

Mike Trident 11th April 2021 17:30

I think the new MOT Rules on headlights have put paid to that.

stevestrat 11th April 2021 17:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2876295)

Correct. The following was posted by Mickyboy earlier this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickyboy (Post 2859430)
Direct from my online testing manual.

4.1.4 Headlamps - Compliance with requirements - Changed sentence from 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with HID bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.' to 'Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.'

So Yes it would be a fail, our VOSA guy told me a few days ago that they are going to get tough on conversions.

Hope that helps
Mick

steve-45 11th April 2021 17:56

I find the main beam on my facelift 75 bright enough.

Rick-sta 11th April 2021 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2876273)
I'm not keen on LEDs. I had LED sidelights in the old 1.8T, one of them went but, presumably because of the internal resistor maintaining a through circuit, it didn't trigger the bulb failure warning. Just happened to notice as I was putting the car in the garage one evening.

That depends on the quality of the LED bulbs. The ones I've fitted over the last several years have always given a bulb warning when they fail and need replacing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2876292)
Hi Rick

did you ever look into led main beam bulbs?

No I've not tested any LED main beam bulbs myself, although I have fitted main beam LED projectors to our Kuga and 75 and work really well, although work best with a bi-xenon or bi-LED dipped beam projector set up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2876295)

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevestrat (Post 2876296)
Correct. The following was posted by Mickyboy earlier this year.

That's only for DIPPED BEAMS. LED bulbs fitted to halogen dipped beams is now a MOT failure since January this year. That's the only change. LED sidelight bulbs, main beam bulbs, indicators, tail lights, number plate bulbs etc are all fine and unaffected.

Basically the update in the MOT test manual has just the extended the HID kit dipped beam mot fail rule to LED dipped beam bulbs now.

Not surprising with the amount of people who've fitted LED dipped beam bulbs to the wrong type of headlights. They were mean't for projector lens headlights same as HID kits, but to many people fit them to reflector style headlights and blind oncoming cars with all the glare this causes.