The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Camshaft sensor replacement (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318240)

Fred Byrne 14th March 2022 15:24

Camshaft sensor replacement

My car (2.5 V6) stopped last Saturday March 12th at a petrol station and would not restart. I returned the following day with an Autel diagnostic tool. There was a fault code - camshaft sensor failure. I cleared the fault and the car started ran very well until I got to 120 miles from home. I had stopped at a fuel station on the motorway. Car would not restart. Autel showed camshaft sensor wiring fault got taxi and train home.
I have ordered a new sensor from Rimmels but it is different from the one on the car. The one on the car has the lead as an integral part of the sensor itself. The new sensor has a male socket on top so requires a suitable connecting lead. I also ordered the link lead which appears to go with it. It has a socket at one end that connects with the sensor the other end has a male plug which I hope will connect with the engine harness.
My question is- will this sensor and lead marry successfully with the engine? It certainly looks more robust than the current sensor and lead that are on the car at present.
I don't want to travel 100 miles on a wild goose foray. I hope someone can tell me whether I am on the path of righteousness or evil.

Fred

Dorset Bob 14th March 2022 16:07

As you have spotted, the early sensors had the lead integral but the later ones have a separate lead.
It plugs into the same place and is a straight forward installation.

They do look quite different, here is a shot of my old one and the new one that requires a link lead to plug it in.

https://live.staticflickr.com/960/40...2bbf5a3a_z.jpg

Fred Byrne 15th March 2022 16:47

camshaft sensor

hello Bob,
Well, I got a new sensor and lead and made the long 120 mile journey with a very obliging friend but it turned into a wild goose chase. I installed the new sensor plus lead and cleared the error on my Autel machine. Car wouldn't start and came up with sensor fail again. I noticed that the petrol pump was not starting up. I disconnected the battery and shorted the battery leads together for about 5 seconds. That seemed to clear the ECU memory but car still would not start so abandoned the project.
Do you have any ideas. I thought the cam sensor failure meant that the ignition system did not initiate but the petrol pump would work. I think I recollect that a faulty crankshaft sensor can cause the petrol pump not to start.
Do you have any theories? The frustrating thing is that the car was running beautifully until I stopped to check oil and water.

Fred

Bazzateer 15th March 2022 21:30

Did you check for the common fuel filter fault? If it separates pressure will be lost and the car won't start.

Fred Byrne 15th March 2022 21:33

Thanks for your reply but how do I do that and would I need a new filter?

Fred

vitesse 15th March 2022 21:36

Strange that the same fault reappeared even with a new sensor + link lead. There was a problem with one of these link leads being incorrectly wired but I can't remember if it was the cam or crankshaft lead, only that it was Made in Egypt!

Does the rev counter needle move at all during cranking?

Good luck

Bob Walker 16th March 2022 06:36

Error code

Hi Fred
When my V6 decided to stop working, the breakdown guy plugged in his reader and he said its the camshaft sensor, turned out to be a seized water pump with shredded the timing belt and various other things, I really hope it isn't this.
Bob

Fred Byrne 16th March 2022 08:49

I don't think it's the water pump. It was replaced with new cam belts 2000 miles ago and there is no water leak. I am puzzled about the fuel pump not starting. Is the fuel pump disabled if there is a cam sensor fault? If not, then I have a fuel pump problem. The car is 120 miles away and I really can't spend another wasted day running back down to it unless I am reasonably confident of success. A faulty fuel pump relay failure seems to be unlikely to me. The car has only 60,000 miles on the clock so is relatively young.

I am getting too ancient for these wild goose chases!

Fred Byrne 16th March 2022 09:05

Hi Vitesse
I have another sensor and lead that I ordered a while ago by mistake.I am in a quandary as it takes most of a day to drive to the car and return in failure. it looks like I'll have to get the car recovered and go from there. Just more expence! Ouch!!:duh:

SD1too 17th March 2022 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred Byrne (Post 2924475)
Is the fuel pump disabled if there is a cam sensor fault? If not, then I have a fuel pump problem.

Hi Fred,

No it isn't and the problem is unlikely to be the fuel pump.
  1. Either lift the rear seat cushion or remove the fuel filler cap so that you can listen to the pump on the offside.
  2. When an assistant turns on the ignition, do you hear the pump running for 2 seconds only?
  3. Now ask the assistant to operate the starter motor. Does the pump now run continuously whilst the key is held in the "start" position? If not, suspect the crankshaft position sensor.
  4. If the pump is running normally, loosen the ring securing the fuel filter housing; you'll find it on the nearside under the rear seat cushion.
  5. Carefully lift the housing a few inches (you'll need to remove the fuel hose so there will be spillage). Attempt to tighten the two housing sections which can separate slightly. Do not dismantle the housing. Look to see if a small orange or white clip has been fitted to the side of the housing (a modification to prevent separation). Replace the filter housing and try the engine again.

Simon