The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   MG ZT-T 135 2003 goes off high revs (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290845)

JSubtil 8th December 2018 17:19

MG ZT-T 135 2003 goes off high revs

Hi,

First of all want to apologize for my bad english, i'm a Portuguese recent owner of a MG ZT-T 2.0 CDTI 136cv of 2003 with 230.000km.
I'm pleased with the buy as it just had one owner until i bought it.
The problem appeared today, as i was travelling with my familly and when entering a high way i've puched 2nd gear a litle bit more and at about 4000 rpm it basicaly loose all power and did not response until i pull out and turned off and started again the engine.
After that as i was far from home, i did the trip with carefull and didn't noticed any failure neither smoke but just traveled at about 130km/h at maximum.
So anyone can help to figure what could have been the cause of it?

Thanks.

COLVERT 8th December 2018 18:57

Diesel engines normally don't like to be revved that high. It was probably just complaining.--:icon_lol:

There is no advantage to treat the engine like a petrol engine as the diesel motor will put out its maximum pulling power at around 3,000rpm. After that the power starts to drop off and you will actually accelerate faster if you change up a gear.

If it is running OK at the moment you probably haven't done it any harm.

marinabrian 8th December 2018 21:45

That is a classic sign of a leaking injector, it's time to perform a leakback test ;)

Brian :D

trikey 8th December 2018 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2692876)
Diesel engines normally don't like to be revved that high. It was probably just complaining.--:icon_lol:

There is no advantage to treat the engine like a petrol engine as the diesel motor will put out its maximum pulling power at around 3,000rpm. After that the power starts to drop off and you will actually accelerate faster if you change up a gear.

If it is running OK at the moment you probably haven't done it any harm.

It was only 4000rpm, no issues at all going over that if everything is as it should be.

JSubtil 9th December 2018 02:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2692942)
That is a classic sign of a leaking injector, it's time to perform a leakback test ;)

Brian :D

Thanks Brian, I'll start for checking that

COLVERT 9th December 2018 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2692943)
It was only 4000rpm, no issues at all going over that if everything is as it should be.

Totally agree. The injector probably couldn't keep up with the demand at high revs with a leak.

Just trying to save the guy some money as 3,000 rpm is well over the speed limit in top gear. --( even in Portugal. --:shocked: )

PS. 230,000 km mileage on the engine.---' bout as old as I am and I hate to be revved.---Soon run out of puff.