The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   something everyone should check - especially newbies (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=268245)

Rick-sta 31st May 2017 20:23

something everyone should check - especially newbies

Evening all, thought I'd make a post about this as I keep coming across this time and time again. I've had an instrument cluster in today to have some work done. After taking the clock set apart, I noticed that the LED for the airbag warning light had been removed by a previous owner of the car in order to get around the airbag warning light staying on. The current owner had bought the car like this and had no idea that the airbag warning light wasn't working. I've now installed a replacement LED for the airbag warning light, and chances are the light will probably illuminate when the clocks are refitted to the car signalling a fault with the airbag system.

I've come across many customer instrument clusters with either the Airbag warning light or the ABS system warning light covered up or removed completely to hide a fault, with the current owner having no knowledge of this.

As you can imagine this is extremely dangerous, especially when owners are not aware of warning lights being covered up. My understanding is that if the airbag warning light is on the airbag system is disengaged, meaning no airbags will go off in the event of an accident. Also, I know from experience that when the ABS warning light is on the ABS braking system is disengaged.

If you're viewing a 75 or ZT to potentially purchase, or are not sure whether the airbag light or ABS light on your own 75 or ZT works, it is very easy to check. When you turn the key in the ignition to position 2, the ABS and airbag warning lights will both light up for a couple seconds and the go out (unless you have a fault in which case the light will stay on). If you try this and find the warning lights do not illuminate, this means the LED has either been covered up or removed. It's something to always check when making a new purchase.

Both of these faults are fairly easy and inexpensive to fix in most cases. The airbag warning light is usually caused by the airbag plugs under the driver's seat becoming loose. Pulling the plugs apart, cleaning and plugging them back in usually cures it, or replacing the plugs completely is a good fix. The ABS warning light is usually caused by a faulty sensor on one of the wheels. If it's the front driver's side sensor that's faulty you lose your speedometer with it, if it's the front passenger side you lose your cruise control (if you have it). So this makes it a little easier to track down which of the 4 sensors are causing the issue.

If you're struggling to locate these faults, take your car in to be checked with someone who has a t4, as that flags up what is causing the issue. Something that I've had to do in the past to help me locate a airbag and ABS fault.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/3...bce7c496_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/3...ae04d878_c.jpg

stevestrat 31st May 2017 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2500142)
The airbag warning light is usually caused by the airbag plugs under the driver's seat becoming loose. Pulling the plugs apart, cleaning and plugging them back in usually cures it, or replacing the plugs completely is a good fix.

Can I just add the airbag warning light can also be triggered by a problem with the plugs in the seat belt pre-tensioner wiring under the seat and the airbag/pre-tensioner plugs are present under BOTH front seats not just the driver's.

flying_pig 31st May 2017 20:48

It's every car not just 75 my astra failed mot on 2 tell lights after taking clocks apart discovered bypass on airbag eml and service leds butchers work
Set of clocks £14.99 from scrappy and £100 for coding

trikey 31st May 2017 22:58

I have seen this a few times, once had an ipk that was fitted with bits of cork to prevent the light shining through!

Beena wild 1st June 2017 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying_pig (Post 2500152)
It's every car not just 75 my astra failed mot on 2 tell lights after taking clocks apart discovered bypass on airbag eml and service leds butchers work
Set of clocks £14.99 from scrappy and £100 for coding

Had this problem recently - dismantled down to bulb circuit board and took to electronic vehicle teccie - €20 :cool:

Seanalf 1st June 2017 08:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2500142)
Evening all, thought I'd make a post about this as I keep coming across this time and time again. I've had an instrument cluster in today to have some work done. After taking the clock set apart, I noticed that the LED for the airbag warning light had been removed by a previous owner of the car in order to get around the airbag warning light staying on. The current owner had bought the car like this and had no idea that the airbag warning light wasn't working. I've now installed a replacement LED for the airbag warning light, and chances are the light will probably illuminate when the clocks are refitted to the car signalling a fault with the airbag system.

I've come across many customer instrument clusters with either the Airbag warning light or the ABS system warning light covered up or removed completely to hide a fault, with the current owner having no knowledge of this.

As you can imagine this is extremely dangerous, especially when owners are not aware of warning lights being covered up. My understanding is that if the airbag warning light is on the airbag system is disengaged, meaning no airbags will go off in the event of an accident. Also, I know from experience that when the ABS warning light is on the ABS braking system is disengaged.

If you're viewing a 75 or ZT to potentially purchase, or are not sure whether the airbag light or ABS light on your own 75 or ZT works, it is very easy to check. When you turn the key in the ignition to position 2, the ABS and airbag warning lights will both light up for a couple seconds and the go out (unless you have a fault in which case the light will stay on). If you try this and find the warning lights do not illuminate, this means the LED has either been covered up or removed. It's something to always check when making a new purchase.

Both of these faults are fairly easy and inexpensive to fix in most cases. The airbag warning light is usually caused by the airbag plugs under the driver's seat becoming loose. Pulling the plugs apart, cleaning and plugging them back in usually cures it, or replacing the plugs completely is a good fix. The ABS warning light is usually caused by a faulty sensor on one of the wheels. If it's the front driver's side sensor that's faulty you lose your speedometer with it, if it's the front passenger side you lose your cruise control (if you have it). So this makes it a little easier to track down which of the 4 sensors are causing the issue.

If you're struggling to locate these faults, take your car in to be checked with someone who has a t4, as that flags up what is causing the issue. Something that I've had to do in the past to help me locate a airbag and ABS fault.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4248/3...bce7c496_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/3...ae04d878_c.jpg

I saw this on the Facebook group last night, I had it with my first 75, airbag light with black felt over the led! New controller, sorted.

Question for you Rick, I've got a spare set of dials that need to be de-lined, really badly (like the last one you posted pics of), they will also need to be virginised to be fitted to my car. Am I best getting them programmed first then sent to you for repair or the other way around just in case they are najered? Can the digi speedo be put on via T4 after they have been fully sorted?

Jakg 1st June 2017 08:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanalf (Post 2500306)
Can the digi speedo be put on via T4 after they have been fully sorted?

I don't think the T4 can do this - only the BMW Scanner or I think Phil T4's tool.

Seanalf 1st June 2017 09:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg (Post 2500319)
I don't think the T4 can do this - only the BMW Scanner or I think Phil T4's tool.

I had my last dials by Klartzy with digi activated, hence why I'm checking :D

Rick-sta 1st June 2017 10:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seanalf (Post 2500306)
I saw this on the Facebook group last night, I had it with my first 75, airbag light with black felt over the led! New controller, sorted.

Question for you Rick, I've got a spare set of dials that need to be de-lined, really badly (like the last one you posted pics of), they will also need to be virginised to be fitted to my car. Am I best getting them programmed first then sent to you for repair or the other way around just in case they are najered? Can the digi speedo be put on via T4 after they have been fully sorted?

I'd say send them to me first to attempt a deline just to make sure it's a repairable set :) I can also virginise it for you and yes I can add the digital speedo for you :)

The only part I can't do is program it in to your car as I don't currently have a t4, but one of our t4 guys can do that for you :)

Seanalf 1st June 2017 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick-sta (Post 2500356)
I'd say send them to me first to attempt a deline just to make sure it's a repairable set :) I can also virginise it for you and yes I can add the digital speedo for you :)

The only part I can't do is program it in to your car as I don't currently have a t4, but one of our t4 guys can do that for you :)

You are a gent sir, would you like to send me a price? I shall send it to you once you are back from holiday :D:bowdown:

It's a diesel auto clocks going into a diesel manual, but I assume that's no problem as it will be cleared anyway?