The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Creaky steering (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=295949)

bikerdude666 21st May 2019 18:38

Creaky steering

I've been meaning to ask about this for a few weeks but kept forgetting (not been using the car much). At low speed, with the window down and the radio off, I can hear a creaking coming from the front when I turn the steering wheel. When I'm stopped at home, it makes a really loud creaking if I turn to the right, then still creaks but a lot quieter when I turn the wheel to the left. Is this likely to be the inner/outer track rods or possibly something else? Need to get it sorted soon as the MoT is out in 5 weeks.

Cheers.

Ps. I've got a video on my phone, I'll try and upload to youtube when I get home from work and then link it here.

marinabrian 21st May 2019 18:43

Strut top bearings perhaps Derrick?

Worth a look, as these can be checked (with assistance) by rocking the steering wheel, while placing a hand on one of the spring coils and feeling for roughness.

Brian :D

Mickyboy 21st May 2019 18:55

Brian as usual is spot on, boy do they “twang” when you have your hand on the spring.
Mick

bikerdude666 21st May 2019 21:39

Thanks, I’ll see if I can get my hand in that gap and check, if it is those, are they especially tricky to replace? Need spring compressors for it I guess?

Mike Trident 21st May 2019 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2735220)
Strut top bearings perhaps Derrick?

Worth a look, as these can be checked (with assistance) by rocking the steering wheel, while placing a hand on one of the spring coils and feeling for roughness.

That would be my educated guess as well.

RogerHeinz57 21st May 2019 22:51

Nice easy fix !

bikerdude666 22nd May 2019 08:14

Just got my son to turn the wheel for me before I dropped them off at school, there’s a definite knock on the drivers side. I’m sure I’ve got a spare strut top bearing somewhere too. Though I’m wondering if I should take the opportunity to do the spring as well, 170,000 miles and still on the originals.

RogerHeinz57 22nd May 2019 09:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2735314)
Just got my son to turn the wheel for me before I dropped them off at school, there’s a definite knock on the drivers side. I’m sure I’ve got a spare strut top bearing somewhere too. Though I’m wondering if I should take the opportunity to do the spring as well, 170,000 miles and still on the originals.

If you wanted to do the top bearing fairly effortlessly, you could simply comress the spring, release the top nut , leave the spring compressed to the strut, swop over the bearing and re-assemble. The spring condition cannot really be judged over mileage or visuallly to any real degree. Surface corrosion is normally found due to powder coating rubbish. If the corrosion is well set in and the effect has reduced the material diameter substantially - then yes change it as a matter of course.

COLVERT 23rd May 2019 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 (Post 2735325)
If you wanted to do the top bearing fairly effortlessly, you could simply comress the spring, release the top nut , leave the spring compressed to the strut, swop over the bearing and re-assemble. The spring condition cannot really be judged over mileage or visuallly to any real degree. Surface corrosion is normally found due to powder coating rubbish. If the corrosion is well set in and the effect has reduced the material diameter substantially - then yes change it as a matter of course.

Just to be clear. Do you mean you can access and replace the top bearing without actually removing the strut from the car ???

marinabrian 23rd May 2019 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2735521)
Just to be clear. Do you mean you can access and replace the top bearing without actually removing the strut from the car ???

No you can't, well certainly not safely ;)