The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How can a garage push this stuff ????? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307929)

Mogodon 16th September 2020 20:06

How can a garage push this stuff ?????

Took the Micra to get some tyres bought online fitted (green flag tyres are very good).

Their fitter is my local Hi-Q motorist centre.

Surprised to find they were advertising and pushing Steel - Seal !!!!!!!!!

Amazed to find anyone in the trade pushing this snake oil stuff !!!!!

BoroRover 16th September 2020 21:18

A local motor factors are displaying a large poster in their window for SteelSeal ...the permanent repair solution.

Never to be used in any car of mine, no siree !!

cossie dunc 16th September 2020 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogodon (Post 2836944)
Took the Micra to get some tyres bought online fitted (green flag tyres are very good).

Their fitter is my local Hi-Q motorist centre.

Surprised to find they were advertising and pushing Steel - Seal !!!!!!!!!

Amazed to find anyone in the trade pushing this snake oil stuff !!!!!

Are you an expert in the design of this particular product ?, I’d be interested to hear what you think is so wrong with it

Mogodon 17th September 2020 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by cossie dunc (Post 2836982)
Are you an expert in the design of this particular product ?, I’d be interested to hear what you think is so wrong with it

Then do you recommend it for customers cars instead of replacing the head gasket in cases of failing ?

Along with Radweld /Bars instead of replacing a leaky water pump/Radiator say ?

cossie dunc 17th September 2020 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mogodon (Post 2837031)
Then do you recommend it for customers cars instead of replacing the head gasket in cases of failing ?

Along with Radweld /Bars instead of replacing a leaky water pump/Radiator say ?

I’ve used it twice, once on a 300k Miles Mercedes sprinter fruit and veg van, it was a stop gap attempt to allow the customer to keep trading, the van is now on 411k and still running well. 2nd time was on an elderly couples 2007 Ford Fiesta, they couldn’t afford a head gasket repair so at £40 to keep them mobile, was a worthwhile gamble.

It’s not snake oil or automotive poison, the reason garages push it is because it can work.

So if it’s a choice between £500 or£40 to save you’re beloved 75 and you don’t have £500 I would suggest it’s a 40 quid gamble worth taking :}

Typhoon190 17th September 2020 20:52

From the little I understand about this particular product, it is the best option over k-seal or radweld as it is less likely to completely clog the cooling system.

K-seal / radweld is like tyre gunk imo. It may get you home if the initial damage is not too major, but once added the tyre / engine is most likely u/s afterward.

ceedy 18th September 2020 07:42

We used this once years ago for cost reasons on a car that had a hgf a few weeks before.
Did the gasket and it weeped a bit a few months later on an edge waterway. Popped in half the reccomended amount of radweld and it stopped leaking .that motor did another 60-70 k without a prob before it was moved on.

ceedy 18th September 2020 07:48

Also our current 1.8t got hgf a couple months after purchase on a 22k. MLS :duh:

All done with an elastomer Now.
But did find the water full of copper particuls, so probably radweld again.
We did replace the old radiator as well and just to see I pulled the rad to pieces to look at all the "clogging" this stuff does.

There was none.just the coppery particles again. So another old wives tale :D:D
And does take some flushing out tho ;)
But doing the gasket is still the best option.

:getmecoat:

mcd840 23rd September 2020 21:23

Perhaps the folk that use these products simply treat there car as a mode of transport. I know I do.