The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front brake disc warp (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=298002)

Jeff Turbo 1st August 2019 15:36

Front brake disc warp

Hi Guys, got a problem with my ZTcdti. Ever since I bought it last year the front brake discs keep warping.
I've now had 3 sets of discs, put new hubs, pads, calipers and flexy pipes but they still warp after about 3 months. The calipers weren't binding but I changed them anyway
As I've changed all at the front I've run out of ideas, Can anyone throw some light on this problem as its getting expensive.
Thanks

RoverP480 1st August 2019 15:45

Are you sure its warping or disc thickness variation . Not knowing you journeys but stopping with ones foot on the brake, especially with the discs hot can cause localised heat variation which can warp the disc.

Jeff Turbo 1st August 2019 16:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoverP480 (Post 2751842)
Are you sure its warping or disc thickness variation . Not knowing you journeys but stopping with ones foot on the brake, especially with the discs hot can cause localised heat variation which can warp the disc.

Thanks but definitely warping, with new discs on its smooth when braking but after about 1000 miles I can feel a vibration through the steering wheel that gets worse the more miles I do. I drive about 30,000 miles a year

HarryM1BYT 1st August 2019 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoverP480 (Post 2751842)

Correct, it can.

OP - What makes you thin your discs are warping, is it juddering a bit on braking?

A solution I found some years ago, which has worked several times for me...

On an empty bit of road, get it up to 70 and brake as hard as you can, without actually locking the wheels, but (important) do not come to a complete stop. Repeat twice more.

Idea is, that the stops with your brakes applied, causes differences in ability for the disc to cool and sets up stresses in the steel and it warps. Getting them good and hot relieves the stresses - the not stopping completely, prevents more stresses being set up.

Jeff Turbo 1st August 2019 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2751849)
Correct, it can.

OP - What makes you thin your discs are warping, is it juddering a bit on braking?

A solution I found some years ago, which has worked several times for me...

On an empty bit of road, get it up to 70 and brake as hard as you can, without actually locking the wheels, but (important) do not come to a complete stop. Repeat twice more.

Idea is, that the stops with your brakes applied, causes differences in ability for the disc to cool and sets up stresses in the steel and it warps. Getting them good and hot relieves the stresses - the not stopping completely, prevents more stresses being set up.

After about 3000 miles when braking the steering shakes quite a bit on braking and when stopping it's not smooth, . I've never had a problem like this in 45 years of driving and it's a big of a pain

Mike Noc 1st August 2019 17:26

If you have a clock gauge worth checking the run out when you next change the discs.

I had a recurring fault and it turned out to be a bent hub, but I see you have already replaced those.

Mike Trident 1st August 2019 17:30

I had a similar issue with our VW UP, it turned out to be the pads. Fake mintex we think.

We went through 3 sets of discs before we found the problem

HarryM1BYT 1st August 2019 20:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Turbo (Post 2751852)
After about 3000 miles when braking the steering shakes quite a bit on braking and when stopping it's not smooth, . I've never had a problem like this in 45 years of driving and it's a big of a pain

Well, try the fix I suggested, its quick and minimal effort. I didn't believe it could work, the first time I read about it, but work it certainly did. I was on the point of swapping the disks.

Just get them good and hot, then allow them to cool gently.

BigRuss 1st August 2019 20:20

What discs and pads have you been using?

Russ

The Rovering Member 2nd August 2019 02:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2751944)
Well, try the fix I suggested, its quick and minimal effort. I didn't believe it could work, the first time I read about it, but work it certainly did. I was on the point of swapping the disks.

Just get them good and hot, then allow them to cool gently.

I just tried this as l have had what feels like warped discs on my car a few months after l replaced the front discs & pads. Three times on an empty A127 at 2am.
As far as l can tell it does seem to have made a difference. I'll see how it is on my way to work tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion, Harry.