The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technology Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Windows 11 compatibility ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=317556)

Arctic 31st January 2022 11:08

Windows 11 compatibility ?

Hi computer wizards on the forum, how many have a laptop that is not compatible with windows 11 for one reason or another, we have three in our house which are only 3yrs and 4 yrs old.

Maybe they want to be enabled or they just do not have the 2.0 TPM or only the 1.2 TPM.

Any and all advice is welcome.

ceedy 31st January 2022 18:37

this are ways round round this , where you make a Install USB Drive for win 11 and copy over a file from win10 that removes the need for tmp2,

i'm used this method to install 11 months ago ..

lots of info on the net .

or you can using the MS upgrade assistant and once its told you you can 't run win 11 use regedit to change the registry as per this page

C

mbonwick 31st January 2022 20:06

There is absolutely no reason to have Windows 11; in fact I've just bought a new laptop and downgraded back to Windows 10.

The UI changes are a matter of preference, but I do not like the changes Microsoft have forced here - e.g. the requirement to have an internet connection and register a Microsoft account when you first set the PC up; and how hard they've made using any browser besides Edge.

bikerdude666 31st January 2022 20:36

Not strictly what this thread is about, but carrying on from your comment in the thread in the other forum... I've had apple computers for around 18 years now, and wouldn't have anything else for my use. Ok, if you like gaming then there simply isn't the range of games for Mac. But my use is storage of music, family photos, general internet browsing, as well as storing reference photos for various hobbies, plus STL's and slicers for 3D printing.

According to the info screen on my current laptop it's an early 2015 model, but I could've sworn I got it before my middle son was born and that was early 2015. Anyway, it's still running fine, not had any issues at all, I've not wanted to update to the latest versions of OS, so haven't, it reminds me, but I've always got the option not to.

Only problem I have had is when I dropped it, and broke the screen/bent the lid. Luckily covered on house insurance, initially they were going to replace it but then arranged for a repair, it came back with a nice new screen and lid.

Now in fairness, you could buy several windows laptops for what I paid for my Mac, I think it was in the region of £1800, by the time I'd upgraded bits, but I'd rather buy something more than I need in the hope it'll last that bit longer. Which so far, it has.

I've also got a 2011 iMac in the garage that a friend gave me. That is also used for 3D printing, file storage and playing music in the garage, 11 years old and still working fine.

Arctic 31st January 2022 23:26

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2918833)
Not strictly what this thread is about, but carrying on from your comment in the thread in the other forum... I've had apple computers for around 18 years now, and wouldn't have anything else for my use. Ok, if you like gaming then there simply isn't the range of games for Mac. But my use is storage of music, family photos, general internet browsing, as well as storing reference photos for various hobbies, plus STL's and slicers for 3D printing.

According to the info screen on my current laptop it's an early 2015 model, but I could've sworn I got it before my middle son was born and that was early 2015. Anyway, it's still running fine, not had any issues at all, I've not wanted to update to the latest versions of OS, so haven't, it reminds me, but I've always got the option not to.

Only problem I have had is when I dropped it, and broke the screen/bent the lid. Luckily covered on house insurance, initially they were going to replace it but then arranged for a repair, it came back with a nice new screen and lid.

Now in fairness, you could buy several windows laptops for what I paid for my Mac, I think it was in the region of £1800, by the time I'd upgraded bits, but I'd rather buy something more than I need in the hope it'll last that bit longer. Which so far, it has.

I've also got a 2011 iMac in the garage that a friend gave me. That is also used for 3D printing, file storage and playing music in the garage, 11 years old and still working fine.

Hi Derrick.
Thank you for your input i too am carrying on from my comment in the thread in the other forum... about apple i am most certain that i will be going down that road, i think i may try one of the laptops with the windows 11 work round once i feel i have the confidence to so.

Therefore an easy layman's terms instruction would be good if anyone knows of one.

Also great would be any or all advice on what Apple laptop or deck top are best or good to have as above will not be used for gaming.

MSS 1st February 2022 09:48

Steve - We'll start a new thread in this section purely for information as opposed to preferences.

To the naysayers. There is every reason to have Windows 11 when one has the desire to have windows 11.

Come January 2025, unless you wish to go over to Apple or Linux, it would be foolish not to run a Win 11 PC as there will be no security upgrades for Win 10.

Personally, I will always run the latest windows versions when on the internet and older versions of windows offline. I also run Lubuntu or Linus Mint on older PCs. Apple is too restrictive for me as I like to tinker with the hardware.

bikerdude666 1st February 2022 10:26

If needed you can actually partition the drive in a Mac so you can have Mac OS on 1 part and windows on the other. I did this for a time, but rarely used the windows partition so deleted it and had it all back for Mac OS.

Personally I prefer the laptops. In reality I could easily just use a MacBook air, around £900 and then add a bigger SSD and it'd do everything I need, so if your use is similar that would probably do. My wife is a teacher and uses her MacBook air every day, she's got all her lessons and resources stored on there, plus all her own personal stuff, music, photos, general browsing. It's her 1st Mac, she got it last September and she's really happy with it. It runs silently as there are no moving parts in it at all, and the battery will last a full day of teaching, and evening of work, and still have power left for the next day.

My dad has gone a slightly different route, much the same use as me, except he also uses it for films. He's got a mac mini connected up directly to his TV with a good set of computer speakers, and uses it with a wireless keyboard and track pad.

Best thing to do if/when you are thinking of buying, is go in to the nearest apple store and try them all. The iMac's look great, but for me I like the ability to move from room to room.

My only issue with Apple is their insistence on forcing new port types people with new models, and then charging a small fortune for an adapter. My MacBook pro is old enough to still have 2x standard USB ports, 2x Thunderbolt ports, 1x SD card slot, and HDMI port, plus I like the Magsafe charger connector as if someone trips on it, it simply pops off with no damage. My wife's MacBook air has just 2x USB 4 ports, and she had to pay £75 to get an adapter to convert 1 USB-4 to HDMI and USB-A.

It's very old, but I do have a Mac mini in the garage, not even sure if it works, but you could have a play with that if you want, I doubt I'll ever use it now.

Arctic 1st February 2022 10:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by bikerdude666 (Post 2918881)
If needed you can actually partition the drive in a Mac so you can have Mac OS on 1 part and windows on the other. I did this for a time, but rarely used the windows partition so deleted it and had it all back for Mac OS.

Personally I prefer the laptops. In reality I could easily just use a MacBook air, around £900 and then add a bigger SSD and it'd do everything I need, so if your use is similar that would probably do. My wife is a teacher and uses her MacBook air every day, she's got all her lessons and resources stored on there, plus all her own personal stuff, music, photos, general browsing. It's her 1st Mac, she got it last September and she's really happy with it. It runs silently as there are no moving parts in it at all, and the battery will last a full day of teaching, and evening of work, and still have power left for the next day.

My dad has gone a slightly different route, much the same use as me, except he also uses it for films. He's got a mac mini connected up directly to his TV with a good set of computer speakers, and uses it with a wireless keyboard and track pad.

Best thing to do if/when you are thinking of buying, is go in to the nearest apple store and try them all. The iMac's look great, but for me I like the ability to move from room to room.

My only issue with Apple is their insistence on forcing new port types people with new models, and then charging a small fortune for an adapter. My MacBook pro is old enough to still have 2x standard USB ports, 2x Thunderbolt ports, 1x SD card slot, and HDMI port, plus I like the Magsafe charger connector as if someone trips on it, it simply pops off with no damage. My wife's MacBook air has just 2x USB 4 ports, and she had to pay £75 to get an adapter to convert 1 USB-4 to HDMI and USB-A.

Quote:

It's very old, but I do have a Mac mini in the garage, not even sure if it works, but you could have a play with that if you want, I doubt I'll ever use it now.

Hi Derrick.
I have sent you a PM regarding your very kind offer

mbonwick 2nd February 2022 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2918877)
Come January 2025, unless you wish to go over to Apple or Linux, it would be foolish not to run a Win 11 PC as there will be no security upgrades for Win 10.

A fair point, however the end date is 3 years (and 6 releases of Windows) away. Hopefully by then Microsoft will have seen some sense and toned down some of their latest ridiculous ideas...

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSS (Post 2918877)
Personally, I will always run the latest windows versions when on the internet and older versions of windows offline.

You are of course aware that Windows 10 and 11 are built on the same kernel? Windows 11 really is just Win 10 with start menu removed, curves added and even more junk!

MSS 3rd February 2022 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbonwick (Post 2919044)
A fair point, however the end date is 3 years (and 6 releases of Windows) away. Hopefully by then Microsoft will have seen some sense and toned down some of their latest ridiculous ideas...

You are of course aware that Windows 10 and 11 are built on the same kernel? Windows 11 really is just Win 10 with start menu removed, curves added and even more junk!

Yes, I am aware.

At the end of the day, each person has to decide their approach. Some of us are early adopters, if only to play, whilst others desire stability before committing. Both approaches and everything in between is perfectly valid.

MS will always try to restrict choice, e.g. browser choice, insofar that they can whilst staying only just legal. Personally, I find such approaches by large companies distasteful and Firefox is my browser of choice for this very reason. If non-MS browsers are practically locked out of Win 11, I will still have a Win 11 machine except that all but one of my machines at home will be on Linux. Currently, the machine that I spend most of my time on runs Lubuntu LTS.