The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Front strut Bolt Size ? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=282280)

Sheraton 19th April 2018 09:50

Front strut Bolt Size ?

How'do folks :}

I'm going to purchase a decent 1/2 drive socket so i can have a go at replacing my front strut assemblies :cool:

I'm not able to check the car for bolt size - can anyone confirm the socket size required ? - 15mm comes to mind, but i'm not sure :shrug:

*lol.....forgot to say which bolt - the pinch bolt holding the strut to the hub ;)

cheers

Paul.

EastPete 19th April 2018 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraton (Post 2621121)
How'do folks :}

I'm going to purchase a decent 1/2 drive socket so i can have a go at replacing my front strut assemblies :cool:

I'm not able to check the car for bolt size - can anyone confirm the socket size required ? - 15mm comes to mind, but i'm not sure :shrug:

*lol.....forgot to say which bolt - the pinch bolt holding the strut to the hub ;)

cheers

Paul.

It is 15mm - get a good quality 6 sided socket and a long breaker bar to shift this. Plus releasing fluid and heat if required.

Pete

Sheraton 19th April 2018 12:13

:cool: cheers Pete

I just picked up a Halfords Advanced 15mm deep socket - 6 sided ;) as i learnt my lesson with 12 sided sockets - I've found the Halfords Advanced range to be decent DIY'er Quality for the price - and lifetime Guarantee :cool:

I also have a decent breaker bar and some plusgas - so hoping all will go Well :}

Paul.

trikey 19th April 2018 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraton (Post 2621151)
:cool: cheers Pete

I just picked up a Halfords Advanced 15mm deep socket - 6 sided ;) as i learnt my lesson with 12 sided sockets - I've found the Halfords Advanced range to be decent DIY'er Quality for the price - and lifetime Guarantee :cool:

I also have a decent breaker bar and some plusgas - so hoping all will go Well :}

Paul.

Don’t use a deep socket on this bolt use the shortest 6 sides one you can find, if you use a long socket you risk it stripping the hex off the bolt.

Mickyboy 19th April 2018 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2621184)
Don’t use a deep socket on this bolt use the shortest 6 sides one you can find, if you use a long socket you risk it stripping the hex off the bolt.

Couldn’t agree more the closer you are to the bolt head the better the “break-away” torque should be.
Mick

goltho 20th April 2018 17:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheraton (Post 2621121)

I had this excuse to buy a decent breaker bar and a new set of ½" drive sockets a couple of weeks ago.:D Great advice above about getting a short 15mm socket too. Happily, the bolt didn't argue.

Dougie.

Frogmella 20th April 2018 19:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by goltho (Post 2621649)
I had this excuse to buy a decent breaker bar and a new set of ½" drive sockets a couple of weeks ago.:D Great advice above about getting a short 15mm socket too. Happily, the bolt didn't argue.

Dougie.

You lucky beggar.

Sheraton 22nd April 2018 09:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2621184)

:cool: Good Call, cheers ;)

Halfords advanced shallow socket seems to be a 12 sided socket - i'll check out their impact sockets and see what they have. :}

I'm awaiting replacement bolts to replace the front strut assemblies - the assemblies came with drop links but no nut to secure them to the anti roll bar and i damaged the pinchbolt connecting the hub to the control arm balljoint :duh:

Paul.

Sheraton 25th April 2018 23:42

:cool: I did get a shallow or standard socket, 6 sided 1/2" ;)

And i managed to get the o/s front strut replaced :D (n/s tomorrow :shrug:)

I used an old 3/8" bar and socket and a couple of knocks with a hammer each direction before using the 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar :}

Paul.

Mike Noc 26th April 2018 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastPete (Post 2621124)
It is 15mm - get a good quality 6 sided socket and a long breaker bar to shift this. Plus releasing fluid and heat if required.

Pete

Well both of mine started off at 15mm, but one of them ended up being filed down to 14mm after rounding off. :getmecoat: