The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   broken folding mirror-adhesives? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=299150)

mileshawk56 11th September 2019 16:12

broken folding mirror-adhesives?

My MGZT electric folding mirror (nearside) has been broken off in car park today -how?? I cant work out. all the bits are there, has anyone knowledge of the material type and the suitable adhesive to stick it together and have they tried it? Thanks Chris.S.

trikey 11th September 2019 16:45

If I recall correctly the mirror housing is glass filled nylon, and the mirror backs were initially a pc abs blend, although I believe this was changed later to just abs.

Plenty of adhesives out there but they don’t really like to stick 100% to nylon.

Can you not find a replacement unit?

mbrenn 11th September 2019 19:25

Probably clipped by another car. Happened to me years ago. Depending on where it is broken you may be able to fix it. If the mirror unit is broken off from the lower arm, you may be able to add a long screw from the bottom of the lower arm up into the mirror unit. If not then contact Mickyboy on the forum who will get you a replacement.

T-Cut 12th September 2019 09:57

Try a good quality cyanoacrylate type adhesive such as Locktite Super Glue.
When done right, this will stick ABS and GRP/nylon types pretty well.

TC

stocktake 12th September 2019 10:03

If you can purchase a standard mirror then you can swap your powerfold assembly on to it ;)

Canonite 12th September 2019 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2761626)
If you can purchase a standard mirror then you can swap your powerfold assembly on to it ;)

I’d do this too as had to do it before, just transplant everything across

mileshawk56 12th September 2019 17:44

Thanks everybody for you help, at the moment Ive changed the brown parcel tape for black gaffer tape-matches the PBlack. Chris.s

gozo ken 12th September 2019 20:00

If you are looking for second hand ones,I believe rover 25 and maybe 45 are the same housing,I certainly transplanted a mirror from a 25 to 75.(post 2002)
Ken.

Terryf 12th September 2019 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canonite (Post 2761655)
I’d do this too as had to do it before, just transplant everything across

Is this as easy as it sounds?

mileshawk56 13th September 2019 09:34

Thanks everybody- I forgot to say its a powerfold type. I examined it carefully and it looks it might have been repaired before, maybe maybe not. I have now sourced a replacement?waiting confirmation of that and holding my breath on the final costs! Thanks everyone for your help. Chris.S.