The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Tourer spare wheel covers (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=307196)

BRG75 14th August 2020 14:13

Tourer spare wheel covers

It appears that these were available with either a shallow or deep wheel recess.

Looking at page 77 of James Taylor's "Rover 75 and MG ZT" it actually looks as if possibly the shallow one is like a lid, to the deep one. The photo of the curved end gives this impression.

Could someone clarify for me please, and additionally, were there both beige and grey, or just the latter, which again the photo possibly indicates.

On the same subject, can the earlier two piece tool mouldings be fitted to later cars, in place of the saloon style of wheel centre moulding.

Regards

Mike

Sonic ZS 14th August 2020 21:51

I believe there was only one height to the trays, but very early Tourers also came with a lid that dropped in. This was soon deleted, I assume to save money.

Trays were available in both light and dark grey, I've never seen or heard of a beige one.

BRG75 15th August 2020 06:24

Many thanks Sonic,

Your answer confirms what my (limited) research was suggesting.

Page 77 certainly shows a grey tray, in a beige (sandstone) interior; indicative of no beige trays being produced. Being under the main floor panel, not really required.

Regards

Mike

Sonic ZS 15th August 2020 11:42

James Taylor mentions that a spare wheel won't fit when the tray is in place......but I'm pretty sure a space saver will, not sure about a full size, maybe 15" ??

BRG75 15th August 2020 12:19

Yes, I read that with a pinch of salt.

There was no logic in producing a neat storage box, only to have to discard the spare in order to use it.

Regards

Mike

ardvark 15th August 2020 12:34

Were the early tourer issued with full sized spare wheel?
If this is the case then the full sized tray would have fit.
The tools would have fitted in the plastic strips either side of the wheel well.

sewerman 15th August 2020 12:39

Ive got a tourer with a full size (not from new) spare wheel and the tray fits fine

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

BRG75 15th August 2020 14:14

Thank you sewerman,

My tourer will end up with Crown Wheels, which I imagine is the smallest diameter of internal wheel dish.

I think I'll be very unlucky if the tray isn't a nice snug fit; unless anybody tells me otherwise.

Regards

Mike

snowman 15th August 2020 15:26

me to i got 18 inch spare wheel and it fits ok
regards paul

sewerman 15th August 2020 15:29

Should have said mines a 16" union wheel fits now problem

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk