The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover MG Prices (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=303629)

Jay 18th March 2020 03:02

Rover MG Prices

I bought my Rover Contemporary SE CDTi Manual in 2010 for £4,000. It was well maintained and still was when I came to sell it 8 years later.
Put it for sale on the forum for £1500.....Nothing...:shrug: Down to £1000 and again .....nothing..:shrug:
Part exchanged it for £750 in the end with the garage having to pay out £250 for the 300c I had on repairs. Now selling the Porsche hoping I can get at least half the money I paid for it last year...:shrug:

Any one else had this problem.

These lovely cars seem so undervalued now days looking at the Members cars for sale :(

Les4048 18th March 2020 04:47

Some pristine examples are making decent money but the rest will be a very long time before they do. Even what people think of sought after cars ie a supercharged or even a standard V8 version are difficult to move on. I think we need to remove the rose tinted spectacles as most of the car buying public do not rate these cars the same as enthusiasts do and therein is the problem, a very very limited market

coab 18th March 2020 05:46

Its the same with every car of similar age and size. People are now driving much smaller more economical cars that do 40 odd mpg around town and very low road tax.
You listen to the radio here and you can drive a 3 or 4 year old car such as a Focus etc from Trade Centre UK for £5995. Makes very little sense to be driving a larger car thats 15 years old and will have a load of problems waiting to happen. Times move and certain cars get left behind.

coolguy 18th March 2020 09:34

New car purchases were already falling before the Virus has forced many car manufacturers to cut or stop production all together. Ultimately this will mean that second hand car prices will rise, but ours are already too old. However, apart from my original Tourer which was 4 when bought, my others have only cost about £1k each, so I will put up with the odd bill in lieu of depreciation happily!

Kevin Williams 18th March 2020 14:06

Picking up on Coab's valuable points, a friend in the trade said he went to an MG presentation recently on one of the new MG models and almost everything was technical and not straightforward to access, plus you have to plug into a computer to get many parts to be accepted by the car...and a new fuel filter as a part of your service is £200 sir! That said, it's a competitively priced new car and will depreciate quickly [perhaps more so in current times], so the philosophy appears to be "go for your new/recent car with a PCP deal and change it for another in 3 years time before the big bills roll in".

Looking at it from the other end, you could run a classic with no computer and little depreciation [normally] but with occasional manageable bills hopefully.But you are likely to need something modern for long trips or use the train or hire a car.

The 75/ZT is somewhere in the middle of this, despite the technology on the car, and there is the expertise in this club to resolve virtually all the problems apart from cars written off with severe crash damage.And, if you keep on top of the jobs, it helps to solve the reliable low cost local and long distance transport.

Nonetheless I didn't realise that, after replacing a rear brake light this week, the light on the display staying on was not telling me the fault was still there, but it would go off after driving a short distance as the Computer reassessed the new bulb fitted!

Olde faithful 18th March 2020 14:07

Yes agree
my R75 Tourer is worth £1.99P However what it does do is be depreciation free, you can't lose what its not worth, i feel in the next 24 months, you will barely see a R75 car, like we do now, checked Carlogbook, com better than How many left just 17100 R75 still MOTd and operating it also gives what regs too right up to 2008 08 regs

losing around 6000 R75 a year to the crusher gives us 3 years of any volumes, left of this magnificent car.

Tim 18th March 2020 16:38

Call me mad but in the last 10 months spend around £1800 on my 75 tourer. Not to brag but a commitment to the car. Was originally saving for an XF then the new HS, but took a cold hard look at the 75, did a detailed inspection and drew up a list of repairs and improvements and came to the conclusion that in perfect running form its the best car for me (other than the ZTV8) for me. Still have things to do but 100% sure it will still be running for the next ten years with me in it. :bowdown:

Yorkshire GOC 18th March 2020 17:52

Its same with Jags of the same age - both S and more so X Types - even Range Rovers/BMW's of the same age are lowly valued.

SCP440 18th March 2020 18:01

Most cars drop to a point where they are probably worth more as parts than as a vehicle. Eventually most will pick up to a point and some eventually go crazy. Who would have thought a few years ago an Allegro or Capri would fetch some of the prices that have been paid recently?

I was lucky to pick up my Interceptor for what was 3 months wages about 20 years ago, at one point the value was 2 years wages for most people, with things as they are now I think I would be lucky to get half of that now.

Going back to our cars, some models will always fetch a premium price but the sad thing as has been said most people think they are just '' old rovers''. The choice, buy or lease a new car that will cost you at least £200 a month or a lot more and its worth if you are lucky a third of what you have paid in 3 years. Buy the best ''old Rover'' you can find and even if you have to spend £500 a year to keep it on the road work the maths out. Yes it might not do 40mpg but the difference does not justify the extra cost in buying a new car and in truth not many of these new cars do the advertised MPG in the real world. A mate recently swapped his 6 year old car in for a new one that claimed it did 10mpg more, so far he has not even matched the old cars MPG and the dealers explanation is '' it will settle down once it has done some miles''.

mileshawk56 18th March 2020 18:01

Some recent figures were quoting 70% depreciation on new cars after 2/3 years. Chris S.