The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Bulb quality (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=301144)

patrolman pete 28th November 2019 21:41

Bulb quality

Got in the tourer today and the bulb warning light came on when I switched on the side lights . Out I jumped to do a check and the o/s/f side lampbulb had failed but I can't complain as it was the original fitted at Longbridge more than 17 years ago ! It was a bit fiddly to replace due to it's location within the lamp but a few twists and it was out.

There's still a few factory fitted bulbs to the car such as main beam , rear number plate lamps and a couple of bulbs still in the rear lights so lets see if we can get to 20 years ! :p:

robbrooks 28th November 2019 22:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by patrolman pete (Post 2778606)
Got in the tourer today and the bulb warning light came on when I switched on the side lights . Out I jumped to do a check and the o/s/f side lampbulb had failed but I can't complain as it was the original fitted at Longbridge more than 17 years ago ! It was a bit fiddly to replace due to it's location within the lamp but a few twists and it was out.

There's still a few factory fitted bulbs to the car such as main beam , rear number plate lamps and a couple of bulbs still in the rear lights so lets see if we can get to 20 years ! :p:

You're very lucky -unbelievable! I've change around 10-20 in mine in 17 years! Bulb quality today is not a patch!

VVC-Geeza 28th November 2019 23:00

I have had my 200 coupe 20 years next month and have never had a bulb failure of any description,internal or external.In saying that,it has never been a daily.Still a testament to bulb quality.

patrolman pete 29th November 2019 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbrooks (Post 2778611)
You're very lucky -unbelievable! I've change around 10-20 in mine in 17 years! Bulb quality today is not a patch!

The surprise is how long the little 501 capless bulbs have lasted. I still have an original bulb in the n/s/f and o/s/r side lights and to think how many times the side lights have been switched on over the years !

roverbarmy 29th November 2019 14:59

My 20 year old car had its first failed bulb changed last year. It was a brake light bulb.:shrug:

Richard1973 29th November 2019 15:32

I fitted Osram nightbreakers for the headlights on my ZT and they were shocking. Swapped to Philips in the end and didn't have one go.

Discofan 29th November 2019 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by roverbarmy (Post 2778719)
My 20 year old car had its first failed bulb changed last year. It was a brake light bulb.:shrug:

Shocking unreliability if only there was still a manufacturer to complain to :shrug:

jonc3725 30th November 2019 21:25

That's some going.

My first R75 absolutely ate bulbs and was the worse car I had owned for bulbs failing. It was so bad my wife used to comment on it:D. Had that car from the dealership for 5 years.

My current Zed has had a couple go in 4 years (indicator, number plate, Xenon, brake and rear light) so not exactly brilliant. My Sup has never had a bulb failure in the 9 years I have owned it.
Go figure:shrug:

Lee T 30th November 2019 21:38

I acquired my ZT in 2014 and she would eat headlight bulbs. But since replacing the alternator in 2017 I've had no blown bulbs at all. I have quite a few spares in case NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- or Murphy read this post :D

marinabrian 1st December 2019 15:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza (Post 2778613)
I have had my 200 coupe 20 years next month and have never had a bulb failure of any description,internal or external.In saying that,it has never been a daily.Still a testament to bulb quality.

I got pulled over in the 214 just before I laid it up, one of the 5W capless wedge bulbs in the back light was a bit dim.

Upon inspection, the bulb still worked despite having silvered inside.

That was the only bulb in nearly 400,000 miles.......absolute rubbish I tell you :getmecoat:

Brian :D