The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Help! (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=198197)

Mikeal1 16th October 2014 17:17

Help!

I have a new caravan. I'm a total novice.

I have been doing some work in it today, with a cable from the van to my house. Everything has been working fine. But now the lights won't work. They won't work on the mains or the battery?
The plugs work fine, I currently have a battery charger plugged into one of the plugs charging the van battery.

There is a fuse board with a large and 2 smaller breakers (all in the on position) then there is a Zig board. The rocker switch is the central position at the moment, the pump lights and aux are all in the off position, but nothing happens if I switch the lights on. Each light has its own switch, but again nothing happens when I switch them?

Please help!

reworht 16th October 2014 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeal1 (Post 1816094)
I have a new caravan. I'm a total novice.

I have been doing some work in it today, with a cable from the van to my house. Everything has been working fine. But now the lights won't work. They won't work on the mains or the battery?
The plugs work fine, I currently have a battery charger plugged into one of the plugs charging the van battery.

There is a fuse board with a large and 2 smaller breakers (all in the on position) then there is a Zig board. The rocker switch is the central position at the moment, the pump lights and aux are all in the off position, but nothing happens if I switch the lights on. Each light has its own switch, but again nothing happens when I switch them?

Please help!

You'll have a mixture of lighting - some 12 volt and some 240 volt mains. Most caravans have a three position rocker switch that tells the Zig wherre to take power from:
  1. from the 'vans own 12 volt battery
  2. OFF (usually the central position on the rocker switch)
  3. from the car's battery when hooked up to the 12s socket, for fridge use etc.
Double check that you haven't got that rocker switch in the totally OFF position.

Mikeal1 16th October 2014 18:00

1 Attachment(s)
AAttachment 41151t the moment it is on the van battery position, but I'm using mains supply. I have a light plugged into a socket.
Nothing changes, whatever position I put the switch in. Nothing lights up

reworht 16th October 2014 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikeal1 (Post 1816149)
AAttachment 41151t the moment it is on the van battery position, but I'm using mains supply. I have a light plugged into a socket.
Nothing changes, whatever position I put the switch in. Nothing lights up

Stupid question - but are those three fuses at the bottom all OK?

Mikeal1 16th October 2014 18:03

Yes, all in intact

Georgies Dad 16th October 2014 18:48

When you say you have a battery charger plugged in charging the battery,have you not got a built in charger in the van?

It should charge automatically whilst you have power attached to the van via the hook up cable.

Most ceiling lights run via 12 volt battery so have you got the battery connected to the van,it needs to be connect to complete the circuit.

Thats a starter for 10

macafee2 16th October 2014 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by w44nty (Post 1816218)
When you say you have a battery charger plugged in charging the battery,have you not got a built in charger in the van?

It should charge automatically whilst you have power attached to the van via the hook up cable.

Most ceiling lights run via 12 volt battery so have you got the battery connected to the van,it needs to be connect to complete the circuit.

Thats a starter for 10

I'm not sure by this, I never had a battery in my swift.
macafee2

macafee2 16th October 2014 20:08

mmm right have you checked that you have 240 volts at the caravan end of the cable from the house?

have you checked that the battery is good or is it so duff that there is no power in it to run anything?

is the transformer under the seat where the power lead from the house connects, have you checked that?

Mikeal1 16th October 2014 20:27

Thanks for your replies.
I have the caravan battery plugged in, I have another battery on charge. Using an extra charger. So I know the plugs are working from the house mains. I also have a light plugged in. The fridge is working from the house mains.

At the moment the zig thingy is switched to "caravan battery" all the other switches are off. (Although nothing happens if I switch them on.) neither the red nor the green light are on.

Likewise there is a switch just as you walk in, nothing happens whichever way I switch that.

The inbuilt battery charger is on. Both breakers are on.

I believe the battery is good, but I don't have any means to test it, especially as the lights arn't coming on.

oldcarguy 16th October 2014 20:42

Double check your glass fuses, that's the most likely cause.