The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Vibrations coming up Steering Column on CDTi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=225705)

Edward Huggins 10th September 2015 17:36

Vibrations coming up Steering Column on CDTi

Some days back I posted this problem most noticable on my (just purchased) 55 plate CDTi, built 16/3/2005 (Thanks Reebs!).

Members sent a number of suggestions which were all welcome and I have now followed them all up. The front wheel tracking has been checked and is fine. I have had replaced (at some expense!) the steering rack and also had checked the steering column end bearing which was OK.
Sadly, no improvement at all. The top and bottom engine mount "acorns" on the driver's side were also checked for perishing and/or glycol leakage, but all fine.

So am stumped and a few hundred quid the worse off.......Arghhhhhh.

I have been advised that there is a Steering Vibration Damper part fitted as standard until 2002, but removed under the dreaded Project Drive. It was sited behind the steering column air bag. I will try to seek one out on the "Parts Wanted" thread.

So my plea goes out again for any other ideas/suggestions? Hopefully this sad tale might be instructive to those with a similar problem. In the meantime, I shall be crying into my Adnams Ale tonight.......ED

klarzy 10th September 2015 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Huggins (Post 2093048)
Some days back I posted this problem most noticable on my (just purchased) 55 plate CDTi, built 16/3/2005 (Thanks Reebs!).

Members sent a number of suggestions which were all welcome and I have now followed them all up. The front wheel tracking has been checked and is fine. I have had replaced (at some expense!) the steering rack and also had checked the steering column end bearing which was OK.
Sadly, no improvement at all. The top and bottom engine mount "acorns" on the driver's side were also checked for perishing and/or glycol leakage, but all fine.

I have been advised that there is a Steering Vibration Damper part fitted as standard until 2002, but removed under the dreaded Project Drive. It was sited behind the steering column air bag. I will try to seek one out on the "Parts Wanted" thread.

So my plea goes out again for any other ideas/suggestions? Hopefully this sad tale might be instructive to those with a similar problem. In the meantime, I shall be crying into my Adnams Ale tonight.......ED

I just fitted a new crank pulley to mine and I notice a greater vibration in the engine, I think it may not be perfectly centred...
I will try redoing it this weekend, but it could be somewhere else to look if your pulley is starting to go...

suzublu 10th September 2015 17:41

Part no. 6 is the steering damper ;) http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002018

tourer 10th September 2015 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Huggins (Post 2093048)

Certainly, on my car at least, it is not the steering column end bearing that has play, but the bush half way down the column.
I have the same vibration and will be replacing the complete column some time in the near future. If it works, it works. If not, not a lot wasted after Rich found an excellent source of new columns and produced an excellent how-to. My column has vibrated since car nearly new at around 6000 miles but just at the time Rover and their warranty went belly-up.
I think you were advised that the new rack might be a waste of money, unfortunately.

Edward Huggins 11th September 2015 05:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzublu (Post 2093054)
Part no. 6 is the steering damper ;) http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID002018

Many thanks for this and the link. It looks as if Rimmer Bros may soon have stock. I am assuming that whilst MGRover stopped fitting this in 2002, it will still fit the revised steering wheel on a "Facelifted" model. Thanks again for your help. ED

Steve1966 11th September 2015 06:24

The vibration on your column would theoretically be worse if it is fully extended towards the driver. It's possible that you could manage with it pushed further in and/or in a slightly different position up/down. When we tested steering wheel vibration we always extended the column out and down to test for the worst case (especially in Drive / reverse on autos when stationary). If you need it where it is it is still worth trying to see if it has any effect.

Steve.

wuzerk 11th September 2015 08:14

steering damper

As I already posted, fitting the steering damper on my CDT auto made no difference at all but if you do try then you should find that the holes are already drilled and threaded for it(they were on mine)

Yella Fella 11th September 2015 08:22

I had a similar vibration issue but it was a simple solution. A lead weight had fallen off the wheel, so the balance was out. A fiver at my local tyre center and the vibration had gone. It was amazing how much vibrations there were due to a poorly balanced wheel.

tourer 11th September 2015 10:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yella Fella (Post 2093501)
I had a similar vibration issue but it was a simple solution. A lead weight had fallen off the wheel, so the balance was out. A fiver at my local tyre center and the vibration had gone. It was amazing how much vibrations there were due to a poorly balanced wheel.

A lead weight will have no effect on a vibration up the column at idle.

tourer 11th September 2015 10:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve1966 (Post 2093427)
The vibration on your column would theoretically be worse if it is fully extended towards the driver. It's possible that you could manage with it pushed further in and/or in a slightly different position up/down. When we tested steering wheel vibration we always extended the column out and down to test for the worst case (especially in Drive / reverse on autos when stationary). If you need it where it is it is still worth trying to see if it has any effect.

Steve.

Up/down and in/out had no effect on mine.