The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   No coolant in tank - but no overheating (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=310788)

theluckyexplorer 30th January 2021 21:01

No coolant in tank - but no overheating

Hello everyone,

I own a Rover 75 2.0 CDT manual, which I'm currently restoring. It's been in the family for almost 20 years now! Unfortunately, it has been stored away for almost 10 years, during which it didn't run. (in a cool and dry place - plenums well empty :bowdown:)

Anyways, since it is back in running condition for some time now, I went to check the levels of oil and coolant. Oil was ok, looking sharp and level, however when I went to check the coolant... there was none! :eek: The tank was bone dry. Nonetheless, the car has been running flawlessly - it isn't overheating, and there's no "low coolant" warning.

FYI, the thermostat's brand new. The coolant has been flushed and changed , lines have been double checked and there's no leak, as well as no mixing with oil.

Now here's the question... where's my coolant?! :shrug:

stocktake 30th January 2021 21:15

There is no low coolant warning system on our cars as standard. it may be you have a small leak or an air bubble may have worked its way out but regardless of that top up the water to the max mark which is almost at the bottom of the tank and keep an eye on it.

theluckyexplorer 30th January 2021 21:25

I will, for sure. The only thing is that it seems like there's water in the system. The hoses are hot and when I drive, the needle reaches the middle of the gauge and stays there. If I were to drive a car with no coolant in it (the tank I assure you was bone dry)... I think it would at least overheat! Or switch the fans on!

stocktake 30th January 2021 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by theluckyexplorer (Post 2862528)
I will, for sure. The only thing is that it seems like there's water in the system. The hoses are hot and when I drive, the needle reaches the middle of the gauge and stays there. If I were to drive a car with no coolant in it (the tank I assure you was bone dry)... I think it would at least overheat! Or switch the fans on!

Quite understand what you are saying but essentially the tank you are looking into is the expansion tank and not part of the main circulatory route. there will be a window where the expansion tank is empty but the water can still circulate.

The temp gauge is not the best tool either, it shows mid range from 75 degrees up to 115 IIRC, far better to use the on board diagnostics system to give an actual accurate temp ;)

YHT 30th January 2021 21:38

The header tank isn't part of the cooling system where coolent circulates. The pipe from the header tank is connected to the circulation part of the cooling system and will add coolant or take coolant that has expanded due to heat. As above post you may have accumulated air from the system in the header tank, try topping it up with water and antifreeze to the high level mark and keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed that its as simple as that! Good luck and keep well!

stocktake 30th January 2021 21:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by YHT (Post 2862532)
The header tank isn't part of the cooling system where coolent circulates. The pipe from the header tank is connected to the circulation part of the cooling system and will add coolant or take coolant that has expanded due to heat. As above post you may have accumulated air from the system in the header tank, try topping it up with water and antifreeze to the high level mark and keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed that its as simple as that! Good luck and keep well!

Far too slow a typist Norman :D :D :D

theluckyexplorer 30th January 2021 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by YHT (Post 2862532)
You may have accumulated air from the system in the header tank, try topping it up with water and antifreeze to the high level mark and keep an eye on it. Fingers crossed that its as simple as that! Good luck and keep well!

Will do! Also, I'll keep an eye on actual temp rather than the gauge. Again, hopefully it's just a bit of air and me being overprotective! :D Thank you all!

kaiser 31st January 2021 05:40

The coolant system on the 75 uses the expansion box almost like an appendix. It is a parking space for water in excess of requirement.
The shape of the expansion box also hides a great part of what is going on, and it is impossible to see through so all in all not a very good indicator to tell how little water is left.

The first question you should ask is maybe not "where did the water go?". But rather fill the system and keep an eye on it and notice how much it takes to fill up!

If I took a car out of storage after 10 years, a check of all liquids and a few other things would be done well before the key is turned!

The Diesel model is not bad regarding overheating. I am not sure you would have gotten away this easy had it been one of the Otto derivatives!

With late Rovers you are always paying attention to the cooling system as they are marginal prone to leaks and the temperature gauge largely ornamental in scope and function!:o

Oh, and a reading of the instruction manual is often a good idea, even before everything else fails. Having done that, you would realize that there are no low level coolant warnings on these cars. It would have been a very good idea, but alas, none were offered standard!:shrug:

YHT 31st January 2021 06:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2862533)
Far too slow a typist Norman :D :D :D

Blame the. Hunter - Pecker school of typing! N

SD1too 31st January 2021 07:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by theluckyexplorer (Post 2862522)
FYI, the thermostat's brand new. The coolant has been flushed and changed ...

Hi Francesco,

Did you follow the official MG Rover procedure when refilling and bleeding?

Simon