The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Wind Noise - New Windscreen - What Do You Think? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=124796)

Frank Incensed 16th September 2012 19:32

Wind Noise - New Windscreen - What Do You Think?

I've always liked the fact that I thought there was very little wind noise in my Tourer - even from the roof rails.
I had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass the other week and the wind noise became noticeable above 20 mph. I took the car back to them and they refitted the screen. Although it's definitely a lot better, I still don't think it's as good as it was with the original screen. Autoglass have basically said I can keep bringing it back until I'm happy, but I don't know if I'm being over sensitive about it and I'm obviously listening for it now.
Has anyone else had this problem? What was the cause/solution? How much wind noise do other owners suffer/tolerate?
It doesn't bother me when I'm on my own as I usually have the audio on, but, in general, I don't have music on when I have passengers.

Parker 16th September 2012 19:34

Can't say I notice much wind noise in the saloon. Is the trim refitted correctly, properly seated all round?

James.uk 16th September 2012 19:35

Drive someone else's car for a comparison Robert.. :} pref a tourer..

pab 16th September 2012 19:40

This is why the quality of replacement windscreens concern me.Some of these companies seem to rush the process,one broken clip on the window surround trim will cause wind noise at speed.

Dorset Bob 16th September 2012 19:43

I once had a Cavalier. It was a new company car and it had a noise that was driving me mad.
Eventually it was traced to the windscreen with a the lack of bonding adhesive in a small area. This was causing an effect like blowing air through a flute.
The screen was replaced and it cured the problem.

HarryM1BYT 16th September 2012 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Incensed (Post 1100317)
I've always liked the fact that I thought there was very little wind noise in my Tourer - even from the roof rails.
I had a new windscreen fitted by Autoglass the other week and the wind noise became noticeable above 20 mph. I took the car back to them and they refitted the screen. Although it's definitely a lot better, I still don't think it's as good as it was with the original screen. Autoglass have basically said I can keep bringing it back until I'm happy, but I don't know if I'm being over sensitive about it and I'm obviously listening for it now.
Has anyone else had this problem? What was the cause/solution? How much wind noise do other owners suffer/tolerate?
It doesn't bother me when I'm on my own as I usually have the audio on, but, in general, I don't have music on when I have passengers.

There is absolutely no wind noise from mine. It is one of, if not the quietest car I have driven from that respect.

vindaloo 16th September 2012 21:03

No discernible wind noise on my Tourer or Saloon.

rich17865 16th September 2012 21:13

I have to say there is no wind noise even from my battered old example.

ziggy72 16th September 2012 21:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorset Bob (Post 1100342)
I once had a Cavalier. It was a new company car and it had a noise that was driving me mad.
Eventually it was traced to the windscreen with a the lack of bonding adhesive in a small area. This was causing an effect like blowing air through a flute.
The screen was replaced and it cured the problem.

as bob says. there will be a small area where the windscreen bond isn't the correct thickness which will be letting in the wind through a small gap. take it back until they get it right.

X10Rich 16th September 2012 22:04

I just had a new screen fitted to my VVC Coupe. This replaced one fitted by RAC Autowindscreens in 2004. When the screen was removed, the glue hadn't bonded the screen properly, in an accident, it would have just popped out. The glass was terrible as well, easily scratched and chipped.

I used a small local firm this time, who use Pilkington glass. The quality difference was amazing. Fitted by people who knew what they were doing too.

Just because your insurance company put you straight though to autoglass, etc, you don't have to use them

Why fit cheap glass just because someone else is paying - even if you have to pay a little more for it? Glass IS NOT all the same