The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Diesel or Petrol Best For Future Investment? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=286969)

Carbootboy 12th August 2018 20:52

Diesel or Petrol Best For Future Investment?

As title really, what are peoples thoughts on this?
If you had the choice of two identical Rover 75's or MG ZT's, same spec, condition, etc, but one was the Diesel and the other a Petrol, which would you buy and why?:D

BillyMG 12th August 2018 20:53

Diesel because the mpg is sooooooo good.

jonc3725 12th August 2018 21:04

Depends on mileage and usage

For the joy of driving a V6.

If a lot of motorway miles are to be had daily/weekly the probably the tractor for mpg.

chris75 12th August 2018 21:14

The title relates to future investment , and that has to mean the v6 :}
As an investment , mpg is irrelevant if it is to be a show car , and elderly diesels are likely to face an increasingly hostile future :shrug:
And as said above , there is the joy of driving a v6 ….:D:D:D

trikey 12th August 2018 21:15

Going forwards, neither will be of great value for many a year yet, it wont matter what fuel type it runs on.

Typhoon190 12th August 2018 21:19

Agree with Trikey. Unfortunately neither seem to have much of a future.

Captain Crappycrimp 12th August 2018 21:19

Diesel best engine least amount of problems

P-Nut 12th August 2018 21:26

Wrong car for investment, upkeep will consume any gained value, the only ones worth investing in are the V8s

But to answer your question, the V6, it's more pure Rover rather than the BMW unit.

SCP440 12th August 2018 21:59

If I was a betting man I would probably go for the petrol, environmental concerns will probably mean in a few years the government will start penalising diesel powered cars more and more and will probably lower the limits on the annual MOT test to the point that it will be almost impossible to get them through with out spending a serious amount of cash.

On a pure investment point of view it will be another 5 or 10 years before they are looked on as a true classic and who knows what will be happening by then with internal combustion powered cars. I suspect battery power and/or hybrids will becoming more common place and potentially a lot cheaper to run. It will be another 25 years before these cars start getting into the £0 annual tax bracket and I don't think there will be many of them left by then and if the government start charging us £1k a year to tax them that will soon see a few getting scrapped probably due to high annual running costs.

Groundsman Willie 12th August 2018 22:55

The govt won't need to hike the tax to get fossil fuel cars off the road, they'll keep gently pushing fuel duty up to coerce us into driving more and more fuel efficient cars