The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   ZTT tailgate release (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=297612)

deltic08 19th July 2019 20:00

ZTT tailgate release

Firstly I have to apologise for only posting when I am in trouble and need help.

I bought an unloved facelifted V6 ZTT se in August 2018 as a project only because it was in Poseidon flip paint. I assumed there are few of these left although I know Fusilier has one. It had a valid MOT until May 2019, 113,000 on the clock with rusty front wings and sills. It is SORN'd because I had a stroke in early 2018 and still cannot drive on the highway. It is regularly started and moved up and down my drive and battery kept in tip top condition on charge every other weekend.

It has always been slow to release but last time I opened the whole tailgate from the lower handle, the release was a long time, 3-4 seconds, activating after squeezing. The next day it wouldn't activate at all. Now I can only use the glass release to get into the load space.

Is it just a dicky release handle that needs replacing and how do I release the tailgate to get at it or is there a fuse that may have blown? Electrics are not my thing.

Many thanks in anticipation,

Adrian.

Frogz 20th July 2019 07:46

Not that I have an answer, but I have a similar issue. I have never in the 4 years of having my car, been able to open the glass. The tailgate button used to be slow like yours, but has now stopped working altogether. The release for the glass (the one under the wiper), has only ever also only opened the tailgate, never the glass.

I am thinking mine has been repaired at some point in it's life and wired wrongly. If anyone knows a fix it would be great to know.

raykay 20th July 2019 08:26

There is an 'Emergency' tailgate release in the corner of the warning triangle housing in the tailgate, open the housing and in one corner is a plastic tab attached to a length of cord. Release the tab and pull the cord, it will release the tailgate.

smudge.g 20th July 2019 10:59

Sounds like a strip down of the lock mechanism is needed. I have been lucky with my Tourer, both buttons open their respective locks quickly and have never failed. My scrapper Tourer cargo window button was hard to get opened but then the car has been sat in a garden for 3 years.

deltic08 20th July 2019 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by smudge.g (Post 2749010)
Sounds like a strip down of the lock mechanism is needed. I have been lucky with my Tourer, both buttons open their respective locks quickly and have never failed. My scrapper Tourer cargo window button was hard to get opened but then the car has been sat in a garden for 3 years.

So it is more likely to be the locking mechanism than the handle?

Mickyboy 20th July 2019 18:00

Unfortunately the release handles seem a little unreliable on the Tourers, The first thing I would check is that the rubber is not obstructing the switch from operating correctly, I have come across that a few times, I have however had to replace quite a few of these as they have failed probably due to a number of factors age and usage etc
Mick

Tenesmus 20th July 2019 21:39

Can you not unlock the tailgate by holding down the unlock button on the fob? That's what I'm doing as the switch has failed.

Mickyboy 21st July 2019 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenesmus (Post 2749157)
Can you not unlock the tailgate by holding down the unlock button on the fob? That's what I'm doing as the switch has failed.

If it’s a facelift, then yes the OP should be able to do this, if not the release button will be just below the bonnet pull release.
Mick

Tenesmus 21st July 2019 16:43

Ah, didn't realise it was facelift only that you could do this with.

deltic08 22nd July 2019 09:46

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unaware of being able to use the fob to release tailgate.

Tried manually yesterday before trying to dismantle and it worked and worked every time I tried. Now in a quandry!