The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Need Help When Buying A Car Some Distance Away? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63839)

Reebs 4th July 2010 00:25

Need Help When Buying A Car Some Distance Away?

Buying a used 75 or ZT that is some distance from where you live, can at best be an inconvenience, and at worst a complete waste of money and time.

I myself wanted to buy a ZT which was for sale in Sheffield some months ago. Not a problem, unless like me you live in Southampton. However, with the help of fellow member Duotone who lived nearby, I was able to get an initial heads up on the car which then enabled me to decide whether to travel the 200 miles and pay the considerable train fare to see the car for myself.

Duotone, who I value as a friend, gladly accepted my request to take the initial inspection for me, and he was able to take photographs showing the actual condition of the vehicle, not just the images supplied by the seller.

On the strength of his report, I did make the trip, and purchase the car. This experience has prompted me to post a suggestion which other members might find useful.

Namely that If you are a club member who has spotted a car for sale on the forums, ebay or Autotrader, but that is located at the other end of the country, why not consider asking any members listed below, who live close by, to take the initial look for you. If the area is not covered, then an appeal in the General forum should be the next best option.

With any private sale, one mans 'perfect' may be another mans 'poor', so written descriptions could disappoint, but the beauty of this suggestion is that everyone here has a good eye for our cars, knows what to look for, and can quiz the seller with a detached manner that they couldn't if they themselves were considering buying it.

In addition, asking whoever volunteers to view the car for you, to take a few pictures would certainly help in ascertaining the true condition of the car for sale.

So please don't be afraid to ask on the off chance, in the long run it could save you a considerable amount of time and money. If there is no volunteer in your area of interest, then please post a request in the General Forum.

EDIT:
rrobson has compiled an excellent check list of things to look for when viewing a used car, print off and take along if required
:smilie_re: General Car Checks

Further to this, below is a list of members who would be happy to view a vehicle if approached by another club member, click on their user-names to send them a PM request:

UK -

England

The South

Hantsdave -Portsmouth, Havant, Petersfield and Chichester
Houxboy - Poole and Wimborne
MangoMan - Southampton, Fareham and Eastleigh
Petetourer - Buckinghamshire and Berkshire... Possibly others
Redfive - Weymouth Dorchester area
Reebs - Southampton
thomas 75 connie - Plymouth to Brixham

The South East

Sonestarick - Folkstone Kent

The South West

arnosvale65 - Bristol
Barry Emmens - Wiltshire
Dorset Bob - North Dorset
operamagorum - 50 mile radius of Blandford Forum, North Dorset
DragonFly - Bristol area
Ratty - parts of Devon & Cornwall
Windslore - West Dorset/ Devon region
Flying Banana - Saltash & Cornwall
Fadows - South West Cornwall

The Midlands

1gp - Derby and Notts area
Bernard LPG - borders of Worcesterhire, Warwickshire and Gloucestershire
Buccaneer - West Berkshire and South Oxfordshire
Colbo68 - the Midlands
Coolguy - north Northamptonshire
Jezzer 1 - Warwickshire / West Midlands
john493 - North Oxfordshire / South Warks
Kiltman - Stoke, Staffordshire, Crewe,South Manchester
Mark2000cc - Sutton in Ashfield, Mansfield, Mansfield Woodhouse, Skegby, Kirkby in Ashfield, Oak Tree, Edwinstowe (all in the Nottinghamshire area) but not all of Nottinghamshire
philm - herefordshire/gloucestershire/worcestershire
spawn666 - Peterborough area
trebor - Walsall & Wolverhampton
Trophy Blue Tourer - Bletchley/Milton Keynes
victorgte - Gloucestershire/Worcestershire (South)

The East

championdaddy - Letchworth North Herts
Drewski - East Anglia
guru - Norwich and surrounding areas
trikey - Bungay - Norfolk

Yorkshire

Canonite - West Yorkshire
Monty1 - Middlesbrough
rrobson - West Yorkshire
sikelsh - South Yorkshire Area
stocktake - Leeds

The North West

Frank Incensed - Manchester
jonathan63 - South Cumbria & Furness
Ken Lion - Radcliffe near Bury, North Manchester
prezz1 - Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria

The North East

bazza004 - 20 mile radius of Newton Aycliffe Co. Durham
bobred9 - Northumberland
suzublu - Hartlepool & North East

Northern Ireland

andymc - mid & north Antrim/east Derry area
Colin_NI - Northern Ireland (General Antrim area, but will help out elsewhere!)

Eire

trojan - Midlands area, Eire

Scotland

allan t -Aberdeen area
Captain Leisure - Aberdeen, South Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire and maybe a bit further
Ennine - Portmahomack & Inverness
FrazzleTC - Dumfries and Galloway
GRAHAM1961 - Edinburgh and the Lothians
Les4048 - Elgin, Moray and surrounding area
Ravinder - Fife, Perthshire, Lothians and Glasgow
Rover 75 Tourer - South West of Glasgow
Terrorfex - Perthshire / Tayside area

Wales

dabber5411 - Cardiff
spider13 - Newport, Gwent (SE Wales)

International -
joel antonio - Segovia & Central Spain

Disclaimer:
The members listed on this thread will view cars in their local area on behalf of fellow club members entirely in good faith, and AT THE PURCHASER'S OWN RISK, no liability can be attributed to the person who viewed the car, or to the Club, if they do not discover any potential fault at the time of viewing, which may arise after purchase. All purchases are made at buyer's own risk, the viewer can only give their honest opinion and their comments should reflect the true status of the vehicle as seen.

Richy 4th July 2010 00:31

I would support this. I know only too well what its like to travel hundreds of miles to view something and it be a total waste of my time and fuel costs.
Great idea.

Richy 4th July 2010 00:34

Perhaps it might be an idea for all those willing to look at a vehicle on another members behalf to put their name on a list with where they live and the list be made sticky.

Regards
Paul

Reebs 4th July 2010 00:36

A Foot Note

Additionally members could, if requested by the would be buyer, take a glance at the car's documentation so that there aren't any nasty surprises waiting later down the line ;)

kissifer1972 4th July 2010 01:02

Certainly wish I'd done this with mine.

I turned up to view mine, having bought a one way train ticket from Bradford to Birmingham, on my son's birthday.

It did influence my decision to buy. If the car had been closer to home I am certain I would have walked away and not bought it.

Roverowner 4th July 2010 06:13

Good idea...

Roverowner - Linköping, Sweden :D

djw40 4th July 2010 08:58

Reebs,

An excellent idea that I'm sure will catch on.

Whilst not mechanically minded I would gladly go to have a look at any vehicle close-ish on behalf of a member and would definitely ask around if I was the prospective buyer.

When I decided on a 75 Tourer the one I got was the 8th I had looked at.

SWMBO accompanied me on each trip. The trips back were not as nice as the ones there each time!!!

I did over 750 miles before finding the one I wanted :D

VVC-Geeza 4th July 2010 09:38

A very good idea and should prove helpful, but i was afraid of missing mine and drove the 200+ miles to Sittingbourne to view and then leave a deposit, having seen the dealers pictures on the net.I then collected a few days later via a one way £32 train journey.

I do agree though that a lot of time and money can be wasted viewing cars that are not as they first seem in the ad/pics.

ceedy 4th July 2010 09:45

Defin a Good Idea...

Altho' I did ask this a few weeks back for a potential buy and got not a single reply ?? :shrug:

Graham1961 4th July 2010 11:28

A suggestion to help when buying a car some distance away.

I think this is a very good idea..and i would be willing to do this for anyone.

MGStephen 4th July 2010 12:30

Yeah this sounds a good idea!

Would certainly do it for anyone that needed a car looking at Near Lanarkshire Scotland.

Anyone in bristol, that could look at a ZT-T? :o

Stephen

kevin 4th July 2010 12:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by MGStephen (Post 551618)
Yeah this sounds a good idea!

Would certainly do it for anyone that needed a car looking at Near Lanarkshire Scotland.

Anyone in bristol, that could look at a ZT-T? :o

Stephen

Last time I went to Bristol was to look at a 75 saloon a nice drive after working all night in London. Thinking of the great car I was off to see. (sellers words)
only to see as I pulled up a dent in the bumper knew right away I would not be buying it, but looked it over. to find it needed a new engine banging from bottem end. new wing and bumper and the inside need a good clean.

would be happy to look over any car near me (Hertfordshire) for a member

Chris K 4th July 2010 13:06

I travelled 150 miles to buy mine and upon my request the guy sent me loads close up photos of paintwork, under bonnet, under boot, interior, dash, controls, wheels & tyres + he also sent me photos of all documentation including V5, current and previous MOT's, service book including every single stamp. I also asked for copy of HPI clear document which he took photo of and emailed.

Didn't start to discuss price until i got all those.

So there quite a bit of spade work you can do before you travel a long way to take a look

It might seem like you're causing a lot a trouble, but you're spending lot of money and if they cant/wont be bothered I'd leave it

RovingDennis 4th July 2010 14:47

I'm able to help worcestershire area. Live in Redditch.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...cd7cd80d3f.jpg

James.uk 4th July 2010 15:56

I think this is already being done by the members, in fact some people, one of whom was 3discos I think, not only checked a car out but got it back on the road again.. I seem to recall it was a gift car?

And I remember Scribbler checked a car out for someone not long ago? :shrug:

And when I was car hunting I had lots of very nice offers regarding looking at cars for me mainly from the Yorkie lads. :D.

Reebs 4th July 2010 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by James.uk (Post 551709)
I think this is already being done by the members, in fact some people, one of whom was 3discos I think, not only checked a car out but got it back on the road again.. I seem to recall it was a gift car?

And I remember Scribbler checked a car out for someone not long ago? :shrug:

And when I was car hunting I had lots of very nice offers regarding looking at cars for me mainly from the Yorkie lads. :D.

That's really encouraging to hear James, members who go above and beyond should get the recognition they deserve. Perhaps then the thrust of this thread should be to remember those that have offered to help, and hopefully encourage others to be of service too....which I think from the replies so far is definately happening.

That's the real strength of this place, people genuinely wanting to help each other out.

Garaidh 4th July 2010 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richy (Post 551490)
Perhaps it might be an idea for all those willing to look at a vehicle on another members behalf to put their name on a list with where they live and the list be made sticky.

Regards
Paul

Paul that's a very good idea, building on what Reebs suggested... it would make it less vague and also each person who was happy to offer to help could specify conditions... i.e. I'd be happy to have a look at a 75 in the central Edinburgh or Leith areas (but not whole city) for someone in England / Wales or northern Scotland, for example.

I just bought a car in Derby and that took two visits so if I had known the club had a list of 'helper checkers' I'd have consulted it first and it might have saved £100 and a working day. (As it was the car was worth it, happily :D )

Cheers
Gary

loz1971 4th July 2010 18:56

Been there, done that!!:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...highlight=ives

And if anybody else needs help, just ask. As you will see from the thread, I give them a good going over (the cars that is!) ;);)

And Andy bought the car as well!!:D:D

Reebs 4th July 2010 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richy (Post 551490)

Regards
Paul

Good point, I've amended my original post to include a list of members who would be happy to help in this way. I will continue to update it, as and when people post on this thread putting themselves forward.

Oh, and just in case anyone who has already replied to this thread is wondering why their name isn't on the list, I've only actually included those members who have actually stated they would be willing to view a car for another.

Again, I can easily update the list if need be. I won't make it a sticky for the time being, lets see how big the list gets, then we can review it. There is always a danger that with too many threads being stuck, it takes members forever to scroll down to a fresh subject.

doublekite 4th July 2010 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by kissifer1972 (Post 551495)
Certainly wish I'd done this with mine.

I turned up to view mine, having bought a one way train ticket from Bradford to Birmingham, on my son's birthday.

It did influence my decision to buy. If the car had been closer to home I am certain I would have walked away and not bought it.

I have done exactly the same after my wife was shunted and had her Rover 400 written off. As she couldn't drive a long distance, we caught the train to York from Norwich, to be faced with a disappointing car. We were quite a way out in the country in late afternoon, so went ahead with the purchase. I would definitely have walked away if we had driven up.

Now my request! I am considering a car in Sutton in Ashfield, Notts, which looks good, even if a bit overpriced. If anyone can take a look I would be grateful.

mark d3 4th July 2010 20:38

excellent idea,add me to the list

James_Death 4th July 2010 20:44

Cracking idea had viewed a tourer some 120 miles away bloke sounded very good a undertaker and a car and bike collector and a freemason, it was a total waste of time.
This is a great idea and as said folks would need to know what the stipulations are for availability to view.
As a lot of us im sure are not that sure of exactly what we are looking to check mechanically.
A how to and what to check guide would be advantageous.
A check list that can be printed off would ensure nothing was missed.
Especially something like the lists you get when your car goes in for repair or you get a curtesy car you know the ones where its marked for what chips and scratches etc are on the body that would be good.

Reebs 4th July 2010 20:53

A bit like this excellent How-To by rrobson

General Car Checks ;)

Now also added to the first post in the thread :)

slickster 6th July 2010 09:20

So, how would this work?

Only I could be looking for a knowledgeable person to view a car (from a private seller) near junction 25 of the M25.

Thanks.

thomas 75 connie 6th July 2010 09:27

I would love to help out as there are loads of 75s on the island but they are so overpriced no one would want them anyway ie a club se y plate 1.8 80,000 miles £2795.

Reebs 7th July 2010 10:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by slickster (Post 552753)
So, how would this work?

Only I could be looking for a knowledgeable person to view a car (from a private seller) near junction 25 of the M25.

Thanks.

Well, unless any one else is closer, and can spare the time, looking at the list of members who'd be happy to take a look on your behalf (from post #1)

I'd send :smilie_re: Kevin who's in Hertfordshire a PM. ;)

sikelsh 7th July 2010 10:52

Will gladly help on this in the South Yorkshire Area.

I couldnt offer a true mechanical breakdown of a car, but could follow the list and report back.

Reebs 7th July 2010 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikelsh (Post 553581)
Will gladly help on this in the South Yorkshire Area.

I couldnt offer a true mechanical breakdown of a car, but could follow the list and report back.

Well done that man, I've added you to the list in Post #1 Simon :bowdown:

KO52ARY 12th July 2010 22:02

I very much appreciated Larry's (Loz1971) assistance when I found a 75 CDT on sale in St Ives, Cornwall. It was nearly 300 miles away and too far to travel based just on the seller's description.

Larry's feedback was invaluable. I'd asked just for his assesment of the external condition but he posted a very detailed report, based on his mechanical expertise.

It gave me enough confidence to travel to view a car that otherwise I would have discarded from my radar.

It's now in my garage and I'm very happy with it!!

HarryM1BYT 12th July 2010 23:15

OK, I don't have much spare time, but please add me to the list. Must admit I am a fair to middling DIY mechanic, but a terrible inpector of my own intended car purchases - I tend to be blinded by the thoughts of a new toy.

Another suggestion I could make is that we could perhaps offer to accompany a prospective owner to assist with the inspection. I like to always take someone along with a level head, to at least distract the seller.

Dave Goody 13th July 2010 12:43

You can add me too as I have already done this for members, SE Essex I could cover:} Dave

Cymrudragon 13th July 2010 13:22

Stick me name down if others not available ok. same as above done this for other members already alway willing to help.....

Scribbler. 14th July 2010 02:31

:) Thanks Jamesuk sir, yes I viewed a 75 at Wareham for Steve whom was impressed with the vehicle, (as indeed was I) he then drove down and purchased said car. *He offered `expenses' which I refused, suggesting instead he put A £10 donation in the RNLI charity box. This he did.
Please add my name to the list of those willing to view for members. :}
Mike.

Roger1 14th July 2010 04:31

An excellent initiative. I just helped some people here in NZ in the same way. They ended up getting a 2005 Conn SE in fab condition, with only 31,000 kms on the clock (19,000 miles) for the equivalent of 5,500 pounds. Not sure how that compares with the same model over there, but for here that's a pretty good buy. Made me envious!

75v6 2nd August 2010 23:08

need a professional in the yeovil, somerset area?

need a pro to look at a potential purchase for me - anyone know someone (hopefully with a T4)! in that area?

Frank Incensed 3rd August 2010 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 551486)
Buying a used 75 or ZT that is some distance from where you live, can at best be an incovienience, and at worst a complete waste of money and time.

I'll have a go at this.
Having dragged Mrs Incensed up and down the M6 several times until we found one we both approved of, I know what it's like. And that was relatively easy. I didn't have a car on the road on any of the other occasions I've bought a vehicle. (I didn't mean I'd dragged Mrs Incensed up and down the M6 without a car - she's much too difficult to drag by hand)

tonybubble 3rd August 2010 06:44

Please add me to the list. (Somerset).

Reebs 3rd August 2010 08:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by tonybubble (Post 567598)
Please add me to the list. (Somerset).

Added Tony, thanks. See Post 1 for fully updated list. ;)

kully 3rd August 2010 09:19

Great idea.

Pop me down as well, I can do around Basingstoke / Reading / Maidenhead.

Tractor Boy 3rd August 2010 09:33

I am willing to do Cambridgeshire and could pick anyone up from Ely train station if they want to see a car

Reebs 3rd August 2010 15:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Incensed (Post 567592)
I'll have a go at this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kully (Post 567637)
Great idea.

Pop me down as well, I can do around Basingstoke / Reading / Maidenhead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by beemer328 (Post 567641)
I am willing to do Cambridgeshire and could pick anyone up from Ely train station if they want to see a car

Gents, thanks very much for putting your names in the hat to help others look over a car near you,
you've all been added to the main list in post #1
:smilie_re: Here

RayB 3rd August 2010 17:09

I'm happy to do Wiltshire, I live in north Wilts and work in south Wilts so count me in, and i'm on my 3rd car with a K serise so can spot a bad one a mile off!

Ray

MangoMan 8th December 2010 20:18

Hi Paul, although not very well versed in Rover 75's (but getting there) I'm quite very well mechanically minded and would also be more than willing to help, in the SOUTHAMPTON/FAREHAM/PORTSMOUTH/SALISBURY/ROMSEY area, if you are unavailable/busy.

Regards, Bill.

trebor 8th December 2010 22:35

i agree with others this is a good idea - you can add me too for the Walsall/Wolverhampton area

Jake 8th December 2010 23:16

Hopefully this is something that the RS's will be helping with going forward.

Watch this space, if those interested could drop their appropriate RS a PM that would be great.

Best,

Jake

stocktake 9th December 2010 06:34

Goes without saying, add me please Paul :)

Jezzer 1 9th December 2010 06:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 567749)
Gents, thanks very much for putting your names in the hat to help others look over a car near you,
you've all been added to the main list in post #1
:smilie_re: Here

And if anyone needs help in Warwickshire or West Midlands areas do count me in :)

derekosb 9th December 2010 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeW89 (Post 632099)
Hopefully this is something that the RS's will be helping with going forward.

Watch this space, if those interested could drop their appropriate RS a PM that would be great.

Best,

Jake

Hi Paul,

I have already done this a while ago and would be happy to do so again. I am based in Glasgow and work in North Ayrshire so could cover a reasonable area of the West of Scotland.

And I agree with Jake that an approach to the relevant RS may also be helpful as I could then ask a member I know of in other parts of the country (Scotland is a big place) if they can help:}

Please add me to your list

Thanks

Derek

Tractor Boy 9th December 2010 08:15

Is it possible to make this a sticky ?

baconbuttyman 9th December 2010 08:30

add me to the list for the blackpool, thornton cleveleys, st annes and fleetwood area's
:D:D

suzublu 9th December 2010 11:33

Hi Paul, don,t mind doing Northeast.Cheers,Ronnie

Reebs 9th December 2010 12:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by beemer328 (Post 632165)
Is it possible to make this a sticky ?

Yes 'tis done :D , and many thanks to Mangoman, trebor, stocktake, Jezzer 1, derekosb, baconbuttyman & suzublu for offering to help too, all have been added to the list in post #1 :bowdown:

Zeb 9th December 2010 21:41

Happy to do what I can in this distant backwater Paul...;)

Robson Rover Repair 9th December 2010 21:45

Im based around Antrim area in Northern Ireland but im always willing to help people out with their cars, so proves the half dozen or so cars ive helped people purchase locally. Please add my name.

MacGyver - Northern Ireland (General Antrim area, but will help out elsewhere!)

Reebs 9th December 2010 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeb (Post 632551)
Happy to do what I can in this distant backwater Paul...;)

Forgive me Zeb, but without any location for reference, I don't exactly know where your distant backwater actually is :shrug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGyver (Post 632553)
Please add my name.

MacGyver - Northern Ireland (General Antrim area, but will help out elsewhere!)

Many thanks, name added to post #1

Rabett_Rover 9th December 2010 23:28

Oh pop me on the list for Mid to North Essex and South Suffolk please Paul.

Reebs 9th December 2010 23:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabett_Rover (Post 632605)
Oh pop me on the list for Mid to North Essex and South Suffolk please Paul.

You are there Lewis :bowdown:

Gate Keeper 10th December 2010 19:04

An excellent idea and a good example of how the club is in growing in strength with the membership coming together and supporting each other as it expands. I bought S750 LJW, from afar, whilst I was in Nairobi, so could not actually see the car myself. Given the reputation of the previous owner and current registered keeper (Lewis), and the details 'as advertised', I had no need to ask any other forum member to 'check out the car for me' beforehand.

All in all, another incentive for becoming a paying member I believe :} that is if this is an offer from other members available only to other members? or is it available to non-members too?

As we know, other motoring organisations will charge a 3 figure sum to carry out a pre-inspection check.

Phil

rrobson 10th December 2010 19:21

id be happy to do west yorkshire :)

Zeb 11th December 2010 08:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reebs (Post 632599)
Forgive me Zeb, but without any location for reference, I don't exactly know where your distant backwater actually is :shrug:

Good point....:)

Lincolnshire / East Coast region...

baconbuttyman 13th December 2010 18:24

I would suggest that very detailed pics taken of any blemishes or anything that you may be unsure of.

Bernard LPG 13th December 2010 20:20

You can inlude me on this list.
I am roughly on the intersection of the borders of Worcesterhire, Warwickshire and Gloucestershire.

HarryM1BYT 13th December 2010 20:40

This is really taking off :xmas-smiley-031:, so can I suggest it might be a good idea to have some sort of standardised, printable basic check list?

Nothing too technical or too involved, just basic easy checks from a list.

rrobson 13th December 2010 21:41

there is one, on the first page :xmas-smiley-031:

nick nick 28th December 2010 17:45

This is a brill idea and wish it had existed a few years ago when i was looking
would of saved me a wasted journey to Buckinghamshire:smiley:

IceBlueNi 8th January 2011 07:59

Just curious, does this list only apply to viewing Rovers/Mg's or other makes.

Obviously not as a replacement for our beloved Rovers but maybe a second car or one for our significant others.

MangoMan 8th January 2011 08:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by IceBlueNi (Post 647508)
Just curious, does this list only apply to viewing Rovers/Mg's or other makes.

Obviously not as a replacement for our beloved Rovers but maybe a second car or one for our significant others.

Hi,

I will look at just about anything in my area, but I will say I have more knowledge of Toyotas, Mercs & obviously Rover 75's.

Cheers, Bill.

Dragrad 11th January 2011 00:38

Anymore volunteers for this worthwhile list (see Post 1) to assist our members in search of a "new" steed? ;)

kvnturner 11th January 2011 17:48

I would certainly go and see the car for anyone, using the list, taking pics and looking at documentation. I can only compare it to my car but would give honest oppinion for what its worth at the time, i am learning more daily using this site so will never be an expert but will have great knowledge. Count me in on the list.
Sussex West and East, Chichester maybe a bit further and go up as far as say Gatwick area.
Happy to help

Dragrad 11th January 2011 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvnturner (Post 649338)
I would certainly go and see the car for anyone, using the list, taking pics and looking at documentation. I can only compare it to my car but would give honest oppinion for what its worth at the time, i am learning more daily using this site so will never be an expert but will have great knowledge. Count me in on the list.
Sussex West and East, Chichester maybe a bit further and go up as far as say Gatwick area.
Happy to help

Thanks for that, your details have been added :D

scouseeric 12th January 2011 06:01

Merseyside

If i can help, am willing to give any potential purchase the once over.
not too sure about posting up photos but im sure i can learn!

Reebs 12th January 2011 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by scouseeric (Post 649720)
If i can help, am willing to give any potential purchase the once over.
not too sure about posting up photos but im sure i can learn!

Thanks Eric, your name has been added :bowdown:

Richard999 17th January 2011 18:25

Hi, I would be glad to assist any member in having a look at any 75/zt's in the leeds and surrounding areas of west Yorkshire.
Richard

Dragrad 17th January 2011 20:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard999 (Post 653028)
Hi, I would be glad to assist any member in having a look at any 75/zt's in the leeds and surrounding areas of west Yorkshire.
Richard

Thank you Richard, you have been added to the list:D

tezzer 19th January 2011 20:59

looking for zt

hi guys, ive found a zt 1.8t at Croft Trade Centre in blackburn road, Darwen off te M65 Junction 4, just wanted to know if there is anyone near who could possibly go and have a good look round it to see if its worth me making the nearly 400 mile round trip. thanks regards Terry, (Tezzer):bowdown::shrug:

Dragrad 19th January 2011 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by tezzer (Post 654861)
hi guys, ive found a zt 1.8t at Croft Trade Centre in blackburn road, Darwen off te M65 Junction 4, just wanted to know if there is anyone near who could possibly go and have a good look round it to see if its worth me making the nearly 400 mile round trip. thanks regards Terry, (Tezzer):bowdown::shrug:

See post #1 and click on the member(s) the nearest to the location of the car and PM him (the link is the member's name) :D

EXILED FALCON 27th January 2011 12:47

Sorry if anyone has mentioned this below, but in line with this maybe information on the garage / dealer selling could be quite useful. Obviously via a private pm rather than a libelous for all to see post. I say this as I bought my car from a used car dealer near Bristol; the dealer went from doing a full service to just an oil change to nothing at all 'becase it didn't need it'. I also was slightly (to be polite) mislead as again we went from the car sailing through its MOT to requiring one new tyre to two new tyres. Three months later I have had to get all tyres replaced, plus new brake pads and brake discs. As I live in Glasgow I can't excactly nip down the M6 etc to complain. I may have been genuinely unlucky or he may have a reputation for this sort of thing, I don't know. My point anyway is, especially living so far away, if I had known of any dodgy past I would have maybe been more careful with any re-assuring utterances. Or I should have just lied and said I was from Bath but that's another story.

buchanan 30th January 2011 22:14

No Problem

I would gladly go and look at a Car for someone, i bought mine in Castleford and i was lucky that my brother in law only lived a few miles away.
So i know how helpful this idea is.

Reebs 30th January 2011 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by buchanan (Post 663487)
I would gladly go and look at a Car for someone, i bought mine in Castleford and i was lucky that my brother in law only lived a few miles away.
So i know how helpful this idea is.

Thanks Roy, I've put you on the list :}

IainThornton 13th February 2011 13:22

this is a great idea!
why don't more forums do this?

anyway, I'm very happy to participate

England - Shropshire
I guess I can do Telford, Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury if need be
or obviously anywhere in this sort of area

Dragrad 13th February 2011 14:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by IainThornton (Post 671784)
this is a great idea!
why don't more forums do this?

anyway, I'm very happy to participate

England - Shropshire
I guess I can do Telford, Wolverhampton, Shrewsbury if need be
or obviously anywhere in this sort of area

Thank you for that, you have been added to the list :D

graham2230 14th February 2011 09:22

Well I'd be willing to go and have a look, take pics and e-mail them to anyone if it helps.

I'm in Leeds so anywhere in the area please let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Graham

Dragrad 14th February 2011 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by graham2230 (Post 672422)
Well I'd be willing to go and have a look, take pics and e-mail them to anyone if it helps.

I'm in Leeds so anywhere in the area please let me know and I'll do my best to help out.

Graham

vindaloo 16th February 2011 20:55

I'm happy to help in Bolton, Wigan & surrounding areas.

Dragrad 16th February 2011 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by vindaloo (Post 674301)
I'm happy to help in Bolton, Wigan & surrounding areas.

Windslore 22nd February 2011 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 674308)

I'm in Bridport Wesr Dorset would be pleased to help buyers. I've travelled hundreds of miles looking at cars that have been inaccurately described.
John

Dragrad 22nd February 2011 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windslore (Post 678699)
I'm in Bridport Wesr Dorset would be pleased to help buyers. I've travelled hundreds of miles looking at cars that have been inaccurately described.
John

Thanks for volunteering. Your name has been added to the list :D

Captain Leisure 8th March 2011 10:03

Well I've just joined and I don't know much about 75s/ZTs but I do know my way around 2nd hand cars so I'm happy to oblige.

I can cover Aberdeen, South Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire and maybe a bit further if needed.

Not too many cars come up for sale up here and I'm sure not too many folk will come up here to buy them but you never know.....

A HUUUUGE thank you to Jezza1 for his excellent and comprehensive inspection of my new ZT-T and big thanks to the other members who were willing to go and check out other cars for me.

Much appreciated. :bowdown:

Jezzer 1 8th March 2011 10:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Leisure (Post 686665)
Well I've just joined and I don't know much about 75s/ZTs but I do know my way around 2nd hand cars so I'm happy to oblige.

I can cover Aberdeen, South Aberdeenshire/Kincardineshire and maybe a bit further if needed.

Not too many cars come up for sale up here and I'm sure not too many folk will come up here to buy them but you never know.....

A HUUUUGE thank you to Jezza1 for his excellent and comprehensive inspection of my new ZT-T and big thanks to the other members who were willing to go and check out other cars for me.

Did you buy it then :drool4:.

Dragrad 8th March 2011 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Leisure (Post 686665)

Thank you, your details have been added :D

autopia 17th April 2011 20:02

Lancashire

Happy to help in and around Lancs if I can?

pm me for telephone number?

best regards

Dragrad 17th April 2011 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by autopia (Post 708773)
Happy to help in and around Lancs if I can?

pm me for telephone number?

best regards

Thank you, you're name has been added to the list.:D

MangoMan 18th April 2011 07:17

Was just wondering, after 5 pages and nearly 100 posts, has anyone taken advantage of this yet?

Curious is all........

Dragrad 18th April 2011 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by MangoMan (Post 708921)
Was just wondering, after 5 pages and nearly 100 posts, has anyone taken advantage of this yet?

Curious is all........

Some have to my knowledge, but we cannot quantify as people can contact the volunteers directly by PM from the list.

MangoMan 19th April 2011 06:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 709289)
We cannot quantify as people can contact the volunteers directly by PM from the list.

This is true........ :shrug:

Dragrad 26th April 2011 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by pikeman (Post 713808)
anyone near peterborough ?

See post #1 for the list...... ;)

Not in any order except country though ... WIP ;)

guru 22nd June 2011 00:26

My time is fairly limited however I'd be happy to help in Norfolk or north Suffolk

Dragrad 22nd June 2011 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by guru (Post 746818)
My time is fairly limited however I'd be happy to help in Norfolk or north Suffolk

Thank you James :bowdown::D You have been added to the list. :}

Everyone's time is limited, but the volunteers on this thread are appreciated for offering their time and fuel to help out other members :D It all adds up to what this Club is about - the cars :)

Borg Warner 23rd June 2011 18:10

Stick me down as well in the Suffolk area(ish).

Having carried out a viewing for a member on the MGOC site re an LE MG Roadster which they travelled down from the Isle of Lewis to the West Mids to view and buy, it can actually be quite rewarding.

Dragrad 23rd June 2011 21:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borg Warner (Post 747993)
Stick me down as well in the Suffolk area(ish).

Having carried out a viewing for a member on the MGOC site re an LE MG Roadster which they travelled down from the Isle of Lewis to the West Mids to view and buy, it can actually be quite rewarding.

So done, and thank you :}

Trophy Blue Tourer 25th September 2011 18:34

I would be happy to help out with this also!!;)

Say around 15 mile radius from Bletchley/Milton Keynes

If you want to add me to the list??

Andy

Dragrad 25th September 2011 20:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue Tourer (Post 813020)
I would be happy to help out with this also!!;)

Say around 15 mile radius from Bletchley/Milton Keynes

If you want to add me to the list??

Andy

Thank you, you have been added to the list :D

Dragrad 14th October 2011 22:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregbuchanan10 (Post 826461)
I would definitely support this. :drool4:

Thanks for that, you too have been added to the list :}

yme402 23rd October 2011 18:17

Great Idea - Count me in.

I am in the north of Scotland, and can cover Inverness area.

Dragrad 23rd October 2011 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by yme402 (Post 833322)
Great Idea - Count me in.

I am in the north of Scotland, and can cover Inverness area.

Thank you, your name has been added to the list :D:D

FrazzleTC 29th October 2011 22:02

I'd be more than happy to take a look at any 75s or ZTs in Dumfries and Galloway for people.

Dragrad 29th October 2011 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrazzleTC (Post 838901)
I'd be more than happy to take a look at any 75s or ZTs in Dumfries and Galloway for people.

Thank you, your details have been added :D

pab 29th October 2011 22:33

If Harry or stocktake are too busy to look over a car in the Leeds area,I will try my best to be available.

Dragrad 29th October 2011 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by pab (Post 838927)
If Harry or stocktake are too busy to look over a car in the Leeds area,I will try my best to be available.

You can add yourself to the list :p:;):D:D

moretvicar 30th October 2011 04:36

I would be pleased to assist - could cover Herefordshire and surrounds.
Nick

blacknwhite 30th October 2011 10:19

Surprised there's no one on the list in the Newcastle area when there's loads of us.

Put me down.

This would have been very helpful when I bought mine from 150mls away. Had to take a chance, the car still has issues which I'm dealing with one by one (nothing too major) but loads of things became apparent after buying it, which were not identified in the ad. It would have been extremely helpful if someone had given it the once over before buying it. Still love it though and it gives me something to do. It would be boring if it was perfect, wouldn't it?

Dragrad 30th October 2011 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by moretvicar (Post 839019)
I would be pleased to assist - could cover Herefordshire and surrounds.
Nick

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknwhite (Post 839112)
Surprised there's no one on the list in the Newcastle area when there's loads of us.

Put me down.

This would have been very helpful when I bought mine from 150mls away. Had to take a chance, the car still has issues which I'm dealing with one by one (nothing too major) but loads of things became apparent after buying it, which were not identified in the ad. It would have been extremely helpful if someone had given it the once over before buying it. Still love it though and it gives me something to do. It would be boring if it was perfect, wouldn't it?

Thanks guys, you have been added to the list :D:bowdown:

Drewski 1st November 2011 18:15

I'm willing to look at any 75s or ZTs in East Anglia, wherever possible - and any bikes for that matter.

Drew.

Dragrad 1st November 2011 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drewski (Post 840916)
I'm willing to look at any 75s or ZTs in East Anglia, wherever possible - and any bikes for that matter.

Drew.

Thanks Drew, you've been added to the list ;)

RPWC 1st November 2011 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by blacknwhite (Post 839112)

Put me down.

Put me down as well,for Tyne and wear and Northunberland, Blacknwhite lives near me,and we could do the viewings together,on the basis that 2 heads are better than 1 LOL:)

Petetourer 1st November 2011 22:04

You can add me to the list if you want :D

Could do some of the areas of as Buckinghamshire and Berkshire... Possibly others....

Dragrad 1st November 2011 23:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petetourer (Post 841203)
You can add me to the list if you want :D

Could do some of the areas of as Buckinghamshire and Berkshire... Possibly others....

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPWC (Post 841194)
Put me down as well,for Tyne and wear and Northunberland, Blacknwhite lives near me,and we could do the viewings together,on the basis that 2 heads are better than 1 LOL:)

OK both added to the list and thank you. :D

MangoMan 2nd November 2011 07:24

Hi.
Can you please edit mine to only read; "Southampton, Fareham and Eastleigh" please.

Thanks.

Dragrad 20th November 2011 22:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwh74 (Post 856199)
Thats all good and well if you're good at geography and know where people are for the area you want them to look in, Geography wasnt my strongest subject in school thus why i asked. If i'd of known then i would of asked the people in that area in the first place, its not as if i didnt look :(

My post was meant in no way to reflect on yours. Just a timely reminder, after so many posts on the thread, to indicate to members where the list was situated ;):}

See also my sig:D

malcolm e boo 22nd November 2011 18:13

I am more than happy to help out. Anywhere in the Greater Manchester area.

I am also a time served mechanic and still work in the motor trade.

ChuffinEck 22nd November 2011 19:27

I can thoroughly and wholeheartedly recommend this service having availed myself of it recently, and thus purcheased a car in Liverpool :}:)

Dragrad 22nd November 2011 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by malcolm e boo (Post 857759)
I am more than happy to help out. Anywhere in the Greater Manchester area.

I am also a time served mechanic and still work in the motor trade.

You have been added ;):bowdown::D

andyg2011 27th November 2011 09:48

hay am in manchester so ill diffo go to have a look within my area take a look, maybe some pics of car and diffo look at paper work if it helps put me down pleaseeeeeee just pm with info

happy to help the club

Dragrad 27th November 2011 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyg2011 (Post 861757)
hay am in manchester so ill diffo go to have a look within my area take a look, maybe some pics of car and diffo look at paper work if it helps put me down pleaseeeeeee just pm with info

happy to help the club

You have been added :D

Xtra100 29th November 2011 11:35

Stick me down for Doncaster, Yorkshire.

Dragrad 29th November 2011 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtra100 (Post 863556)
Stick me down for Doncaster, Yorkshire.

And have been added :}

den-diggaler 8th December 2011 14:38

good idea i have often found cars that are a distance away
happy to check in my local area

Dragrad 8th December 2011 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by den-diggaler (Post 870441)
good idea i have often found cars that are a distance away
happy to check in my local area

And so added :xmas-smiley-025:

Dragrad 17th December 2011 00:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SapperGB (Post 876567)
Is anyone In the Acklam, Middlesbrough arera able to view a car for me this evening?

I know its VERY VERY short notice but the auction ends in 8 hours.

The way this works is that you view the members (post #1) who have offered their services that cover the area that the car that you need looking at. And then PM them, (the link is in the listings).

This thread is for those offering their services, and to provide a collated listing of members who are offering their services FOC..

If there is no member in the area that you require listed, then I would suggest that you post to the General Forum, for better coverage and speedier response :xmas-smiley-004:

Posting a requirement in here will elicit very little response due to the nature of the thread. :xmas-smiley-014::xmas-smiley-004:

trikey 4th January 2012 19:42

Happy do cover Durham & North Lincolnshire if anyone needs it!

Frank Incensed 6th February 2012 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony48 (Post 919314)
what a great idea,i would like someone to go have a look at one in manchester i live in newcastle,would gladly pay for there time.tony:}

Hi Tony
I've just responded to your PM, but I've just noticed that in another thread you've posted that you've already bought a car. I really don't mind doing this if someone is serious and I can fit it in. And I certainly don't want any payment for doing it, but I don't want to go on a wild goose chase either.
Please explain.
Regards
Robert

Canonite 8th February 2012 14:24

I'll be happy to check out a car for anyone in the west/south yorkshire area between Leeds and Sheffield, while i'm no mechanic I do know these cars and can provide top notch photos :)

Terrorfex 17th February 2012 14:44

I can offer to provide help in the Perthshire / Tayside area, Scotland.

Dragrad 22nd February 2012 00:09

List updated. Thank you guys for offering this free service to our members :D

Dragrad 22nd February 2012 00:25

A general request here does not really work.:( Look at the list in post #1 and click on the user name that covers the area where you want someone to look at the car you are interested in. Check out post # 1.;)

The link/name will take you to the PM for that member. And so PM him. ;) Any dialogue thereafter is by PMs..... Not in this forum. ;)

This is a FREE service provided by the members who have volunteered to do this to help out the members in acquiring the car of their dreams ;)

Please do not use this service frivolously :}

Kiltman 12th April 2012 07:32

Please add me to the list, can do Stoke, Staffordshire, Crewe,South Manchester.

Dragrad 12th April 2012 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiltman (Post 974947)
Please add me to the list, can do Stoke, Staffordshire, Crewe,South Manchester.

And so added, Thank you :D

Dragrad 30th May 2012 00:18

Any more volunteers? :shrug:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...86&postcount=1

There have been a few requests lately for areas not yet covered ;) :}

Les4048 16th June 2012 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragrad (Post 1015472)
Any more volunteers? :shrug:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...86&postcount=1

There have been a few requests lately for areas not yet covered ;) :}

I'd be willing to check any car in the Elgin, Moray and surrounding area

Dragrad 16th June 2012 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les4048 (Post 1030801)
I'd be willing to check any car in the Elgin, Moray and surrounding area

Thanks, you have been added to the list :bowdown::D

superdavid 30th June 2012 10:26

I would be happy to look over any cars Stourbridge, Brierley Hill, Dudley area postcode DY5.

Trained as a mechanic for the 1st five years of my working life and have looked after my baby well.

Dragrad 30th June 2012 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by superdavid (Post 1043012)
I would be happy to look over any cars Stourbridge, Brierley Hill, Dudley area postcode DY5.

Trained as a mechanic for the 1st five years of my working life and have looked after my baby well.

Thank you, and you have been added to the list :D

Drewski 30th June 2012 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj8work (Post 1043532)
Im looking at buying a ZT AUTO 2.0. i found this one on ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ZT-2-0-...item4ab4754d43

I was hopping someone close by could help me out.

Ideal i would like a simular car but in X-power grey.

Any help would be most welcome. Thanks

Check the first post for someone in that area and send them a PM.

Looks nice in red :cool:

Ian G 3rd July 2012 18:38

Another for the South, i'm happy to view anything Weymouth Dorchester area..
Cheers Ian

Dragrad 3rd July 2012 20:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redfive (Post 1045672)
Another for the South, i'm happy to view anything Weymouth Dorchester area..
Cheers Ian

Cheers Ian, your details have been added :D:D

MrDoodles 3rd July 2012 21:00

You can add me for South Lincs and North Cambs if you want! :)

Dragrad 3rd July 2012 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDoodles (Post 1045855)
You can add me for South Lincs and North Cambs if you want! :)

Thank you Mark, details added :D:D

Dragrad 1st September 2012 00:58

May I remind members, please to read the first post. This thread is for volunteers who offer their services to look at cars on behalf of other members. If you are looking for a member to look at a car of interest to you, then PM the member listed by clicking on the link and send your request.

This is not a request to view thread.:(

If you cannot find a member in your area, then please post a request in the General Forum which will ellicit a faster response... hopefully :D

Check the "volunteer's" forum history to see whether they are still active before you PM the member. This may assist you .....

Thank you.;)

(Errant posts have been moved to their individual threads or removed as being off topic)

oswestryalex 1st September 2012 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRAHAM1961 (Post 551599)
I think this is a very good idea..and i would be willing to do this for anyone.

Me too - even if my area is covered.
One other thought - it may be that if certain models are sought after and members are after them, if those who know the cars see one for sale, perhaps alert others to it? One of my thoughts are the monogram paint project cars - chromactive etc. - which are fairly rare, and perhaps even V8s and so on....?
Cheers,
Alex.:}

Dragrad 1st September 2012 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by oswestryalex (Post 1089418)
Me too - even if my area is covered.
One other thought - it may be that if certain models are sought after and members are after them, if those who know the cars see one for sale, perhaps alert others to it? One of my thoughts are the monogram paint project cars - chromactive etc. - which are fairly rare, and perhaps even V8s and so on....?
Cheers,
Alex.:}

Added to the list :bowdown::}

Well we do have a Wanted Section for members to post up their wants, and cars are included..... ;)