The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rear end noise (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=291792)

donc 10th January 2019 22:20

Rear end noise

Hi I've a well loved 75 contemporary 1.8t and a chattering noise from the rear end is driving me mad. The bushes on the rear arms have been replaced, springs and exhaust renewed and I am told the drop arms are OK. Has anyone any idea what could be the problem please.?

T-Cut 11th January 2019 13:05

I think it would be worth taking a look in the handbrake drum. Corrosion/breakdown of the backplate can cause the shoe mechanism to chatter.

TC

donc 11th January 2019 16:08

Thank you. Will investigate this.

COLVERT 11th January 2019 18:42

REAR END NOISE.

When I first read that I thought--What on-earth ??????

Then I read a bit further. Relief---:flushed:

donc 12th January 2019 15:34

Oh dear that proved not the problem!!

COLVERT 12th January 2019 21:37

Damper not done up tight ???

Wheel bolts loose ????

Exhaust brackets not tight ???

donc 13th January 2019 10:57

Wheel nuts ok as is exhaust. Not sure what you mean about damper? Sorry I must be a poor did mechanic!

COLVERT 13th January 2019 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by donc (Post 2702052)
Wheel nuts ok as is exhaust. Not sure what you mean about damper? Sorry I must be a poor did mechanic!

Shock absorber.---:D:D:D---Are the top and bottom fixings tight. Any play here could possibly make a knocking or rattling sound as the wheels go up and down over bumps.--:shrug:

donc 13th January 2019 19:11

Thanks again will check![/I]

suzublu 13th January 2019 19:23

Check the exhaust heatshield & the rubber hangers. Either could induce clattering noises.:cool:

Mike Noc 13th January 2019 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 2701527)
I think it would be worth taking a look in the handbrake drum. Corrosion/breakdown of the backplate can cause the shoe mechanism to chatter.

TC

Yep - the shoes can float if the pins come through the corroded backplates too.

minimutly 13th January 2019 21:29

Rover / zt noises were built in I think.
If your backplates and shoes are Ok (ie pins not pulled through and shoes not seperated from carriers), shocks ok, I would suspect a wheel bearing.
Mine went "duberdump, duberdump......" for months andmonthe before eventually making the usual grinding noise of a failed bearing, drove me nuts trying to find it.
Let us all know eh?

m2n 16th January 2019 10:40

I agree had same problem with my BMW tourer, when mechanic took off rear wheel and handbrake assembly, bits and bobs fell out, needed new handbrake shoes and springs.....

Rick-sta 16th January 2019 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2702149)
Shock absorber.---:D:D:D---Are the top and bottom fixings tight. Any play here could possibly make a knocking or rattling sound as the wheels go up and down over bumps.--:shrug:

Yes worth checking this, seems to be quite common for the bolt that goes in the bottom of the shock absorber to cross thread and not tighten up fully, which leaves the weight at the bottom of the shock absorber to rattle around. I currently have this issue on my recently acquired ZT-T, makes a constant knocking/wobbly rattle noise at the rear of the car.

chris75 17th January 2019 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by COLVERT (Post 2702149)

I had a problem with these fastenings : see the old thread here ……..
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...r+bolts&page=2