The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   NOT ROVER, mot failure thoughts pls (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=314558)

sln8458 7th August 2021 13:25

NOT ROVER, mot failure thoughts pls

This relates to my daughters Ford KA (2)
can I just add that I am NOT allowed near the car normally!!!!

It failed it's mot this morning on tyres, Specifically:

"tyre tread pattern not visible over the whole tread area when a minimum depth required is 1.0mm. Nearside Front [5.2.3 (e)]"

ditto offside.

Now when I just looked at the tyres ALL tread depth markers are below the surface of the remaining tread, ie at least 1.6mm + remaining.
Yes the outer edges are worn, but what happened to the central 3/4 tread part of the rules???

I have been tasked with sorting new tyres, and will be done as soon as....

Just wondered if this is something new? ie the 1.0mm across the whole tyre area.

Oh, it was Halfrords and they quoted over £700 to fix ALL of the issues they found. She told them "I'll get dad to look at it!" their reply was "Oh"

Mike Trident 7th August 2021 14:05

The central 3/4 area is correct, but they will be failing it on no cuts, bulgers or bald patches.

Bogbrush82 7th August 2021 14:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2894724)
Oh, it was Halfrords and they quoted over £700 to fix ALL of the issues they found. She told them "I'll get dad to look at it!" their reply was "Oh"

Was that £700 just for the tyres? Because that's taking the urine if it is.

sln8458 7th August 2021 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Trident (Post 2894728)
The central 3/4 area is correct, but they will be failing it on no cuts, bulgers or bald patches.

There are no cuts, bulges or bald patches, save the outer edge worn.

sln8458 7th August 2021 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogbrush82 (Post 2894735)
Was that £700 just for the tyres? Because that's taking the urine if it is.

£400 was for 4 tyres (the rear 2 are showing signs of cracking, down as advisory), £300 was for a new caliper as it was sticking.

Best tyres I have found are Avon ZT7's at £50 corner fitted

edwardmk 7th August 2021 14:54

Sounds like you can save her £200 on tyres straight off.
How good are you on calipers and does she have enough brownie points for you to pick up the toolkit:D?
Halfords has to pay for it's massive overheads on premium stores.
There's bound to be a local alternative outfit that can do the job cheaper if DIY doesn't sound appealing. Good luck:}

macafee2 7th August 2021 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by sln8458 (Post 2894737)
£400 was for 4 tyres (the rear 2 are showing signs of cracking, down as advisory), £300 was for a new caliper as it was sticking.

Best tyres I have found are Avon ZT7's at £50 corner fitted

would have thought caliper can be serviced, cleaned, new seals, new brake fluid all round..... not £300 worth of work.
If the brake was sticking I would have expected it to show its self when hot and moving away from stationary and building speed

macafee2

AndyN01 7th August 2021 15:10

Sadly I suspect this is another one of the....

A lady goes into a garage.....and comes out with a string of half truths or just plain lies and a potential bill many times the actual amount needed to rectify the actual faults (if any).

Good luck with getting it sorted.

sln8458 7th August 2021 15:11

No issues with sorting the work, just confused by the MOT failure on the tyres!
The're not bald, no bald spots, no bulges, just worn on the outside edge. Wear makers show more than 1.6mm.???

victorgte 7th August 2021 16:45

First mistake was going to Halfords.
Their prices are a complete rip off.
I was stood next to a lady who agreed to have new front brake pads fitted to her Corsa, lifetime replacement of pads at any branch. £130.
To buy them from a motor factor is £18 and any garage will fit them for £40 max.
Your ability to get £130 worth of pads out of them is virtually zero. You will sell or px the car before you get that many sets of pads fitted. It’s cynical marketing that rips off those who don’t know.
This is why their MOT test price is usually “on special offer”