The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Duster vs MG GS (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=290455)

stocktake 24th November 2018 08:16

Duster vs MG GS

https://www.whatcar.com/news/New-Dac...ource=20181124

victorgte 24th November 2018 11:00

Budget SUV’s. One seems to be better around town and the other is good at motorway miles. It all depends on your needs but at the prices quoted they are good value for money.
Back in the day my Father looked at Lada, Skoda, FSO and Oriental offerings from Kia and such like. He went for a Lada 1500 estate which was a shocking car but gave him 8 years of cheap and practical motoring. I even passed my driving test in it! He paid £2400 for it from Tony Cox Motors, Sparkhill, Birmingham. Salesman was keen to tell him it had a passenger side door mirror and servo asssisted brakes! We fitted the aftermarket rear window heater ourselves. Happy days. Value yes, quality no.

ziggy72 24th November 2018 11:26

The MG ZS is a nice car for the money and the interior is stylish too and of decent quality.
The downside at the minute is parts availability. There is one in at work awaiting repair with 400 mile on the clock with front end damage. It's been standing there for 6 weeks so far awaiting a front bumper, bonnet, wing and headlight amongst other small items and there is no date of arrival given by the manufacturer to when they will arrive in the country.
Luckily the customer is understanding and has a courtesy car whilst it's in.

victorgte 24th November 2018 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggy72 (Post 2689191)
The MG ZS is a nice car for the money and the interior is stylish too and of decent quality.
The downside at the minute is parts availability. There is one in at work awaiting repair with 400 mile on the clock with front end damage. It's been standing there for 6 weeks so far awaiting a front bumper, bonnet, wing and headlight amongst other small items and there is no date of arrival given by the manufacturer to when they will arrive in the country.

That’s just not good enough. Why would people buy one now with that kind of service, courtesy car or not? I just don’t think MG is fully committed to the UK and it shows. My Father would be laughing in his grave right now after the service he got from Lada. :D

myfirstrover 24th November 2018 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ziggy72 (Post 2689191)

:eek: that's a worry , you never think about parts having to come from the other side of the world .

Number 6 24th November 2018 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2689216)
That’s just not good enough. Why would people buy one now with that kind of service, courtesy car or not? I just don’t think MG is fully committed to the UK and it shows. My Father would be laughing in his grave right now after the service he got from Lada. :D

I bought my wife a Lada Estate,,,she loved it,Yes it was old school and basic but she loved the upright driving position and she could see the end of the bonnet which she cant do in modern cars,,very reliable car....

ziggy72 24th November 2018 15:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by victorgte (Post 2689216)

It's the bodyshop where I work that have supplied the courtesy car not MG. It's paid for by the owners insurance company. There are a few obscure marques like ssangyong, microcar , Dodge etc that sell in small number over here where parts can be back ordered for several months. So it's not just MG.

Dallas 24th November 2018 17:11

We looked at the GS and the Duster, but SWMBO found both to be too large, so we opted for the smaller SUV, the Dacia Stepway. I didn't mind because it was even cheaper, but if I had a choice it would have been the new ZS.

marinabrian 24th November 2018 17:31

So a bargain basement bastardised Renault is better than a bargain basement Chinese offering.......according to the motoring press :shrug:

I'm sure you could draw a comparison somewhere, however the "MG" has about as much to do with quality motoring as a Leyland Atlantean has to do with modern public transport, similarly the Dacia.

I wouldn't have either given, not even if I were paid :getmecoat:

Who in god's creation needs automatic emergency braking? I mean if you cannot anticipate or read the road ahead to the point where gimmicks like this are necessary to keep you and other road users from having a collision, then perhaps driving is not for you.

BigBen 24th November 2018 21:39

I hate these supposedly like-for-like comparisons which are nothing of the sort. Yes, they're the current offerings from Dacia and MG, but the GS has been around for 3 years now, and they're putting it up against the new model just launched Dacia. :shrug:

When the HS replaces the GS in a few years will they do the same review again? I bet not. The Duster from 3 years ago is a woeful car.

I just wish they would put the 1.5tgi and 6 speed box in a "hot" version of the MG3. :}