The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rear disc (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306080)

paras659 2nd July 2020 14:14

Rear disc

2001 mg zt 160 rear brakedisc seems warped but itsnotbecause the new one doesn't same any ideas hub seems OK no play cheers

macafee2 2nd July 2020 16:47

disc not on squarely?

macafee2

bl52krz 2nd July 2020 18:36

Clean the front of the face that the disc fits onto. If the face of the hub is not cleaned of all dirt, it can cause the disc to run out.

marinabrian 2nd July 2020 19:07

Blimey Mark, how the devil are you?

The mating face of the hub, and the disc must be spotlessly clean, and no coppaslip or similar applied.

Sadly you cannot reliably check for runout with the disc fitted, unless you use a suitable spacer to refit a couple of wheel bolts to keep the disc firmly positioned to the hub ;)

Brian :D

edwardmk 2nd July 2020 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by bl52krz (Post 2822472)
Clean the front of the face that the disc fits onto. If the face of the hub is not cleaned of all dirt, it can cause the disc to run out.

Totally agree. I've just replaced the rear discs on my 190. Never done that kind of job before but was motivated to get my feet wet by a high quote from a local garage. Lots of good and much appreciated advice on this forum from other more experienced members. I was properly shocked when the new discs had worse run out than the old ones. It was a combination of two issues. Following forum advice, I seriously and thoroughly cleaned the hub with a wire cup brush on an angle grinder until all dust and rust was gone. Big improvement. Then I realised that if you're not very careful tightening the torx retaining bolt for the disc, it can pull the disc slightly off from square and still cause run out. You would definitely benefit from using a DTI gauge to know where you are. Another job that is superficially easy yet needs a little more care than certainly I first anticipated! After an hour or two of playing around I finally got a good result which was within spec from the workshop manual.

edwardmk 2nd July 2020 19:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by marinabrian (Post 2822479)
Blimey Mark, how the devil are you?

The mating face of the hub, and the disc must be spotlessly clean, and no coppaslip or similar applied.

Sadly you cannot reliably check for runout with the disc fitted, unless you use a suitable spacer to refit a couple of wheel bolts to keep the disc firmly positioned to the hub ;)

When I get around to doing the front brakes, I'll be following Brian's advice on using spacers and wheel bolts. :bowdown:The single torx screw is not a great idea from my observations. It definitely skews the disc unless you're very careful or just lucky!

paras659 2nd July 2020 23:29

Thanks guys hi Brian I'm fine mate got a load to do on different stuff at the minute not to mention a crankshaft in a discovery 4 , I did wire brush the surfaces so I guess ill go play tomorrow its miles out a good 8mm .. is there many left on here then Brian you got many cars left ?? ..

marinabrian 3rd July 2020 03:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by paras659 (Post 2822543)
Thanks guys hi Brian I'm fine mate got a load to do on different stuff at the minute not to mention a crankshaft in a discovery 4 , I did wire brush the surfaces so I guess ill go play tomorrow its miles out a good 8mm .. is there many left on here then Brian you got many cars left ?? ..

Hi Mark, I've still got a few.............8mm :eek::eek::eek::eek:

That surely cannot be right, .8mm do you mean?

paras659 3rd July 2020 11:45

no mate can see it wobble measured it 8mm

trikey 3rd July 2020 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by paras659 (Post 2822611)
no mate can see it wobble measured it 8mm

Something is definitely wrong here!!!!