The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Very localised wet headlining... windscreen leak? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=280616)

allegroman 13th March 2018 18:34

Very localised wet headlining... windscreen leak?

Possibly related to my K-bus issue covered on another thread (though I don't think so so far) is a recently developed damp area on the headlining, localised to the zone in front of the front interior lights. It was damp enough to cause a drip in heavy rain, but the rest of the headlining seemed dry to the touch, and I felt around inside the aperture that the lights/switch sit in as far as I could in all directions. I have a sunroof, but there's no evidence that the drains are blocked. I may temporarily tape up the sunroof to definitely exclude that as a cause though.

I've seen threads about leaking rear windows, but couldn't find much about windscreens. Could the windscreen be leaking somewhere along the top edge? I'm wary of starting to take the trim off the outside if it's totally unheard of, so has anyone had this happen to them?

Cheers!

Jakg 13th March 2018 19:41

Could it not be the rear screenwash hose?

(i'm not sure where that's routed).

allegroman 14th March 2018 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakg (Post 2606212)
Could it not be the rear screenwash hose?

(i'm not sure where that's routed).

The rear wash is working (I think) but if the pipe is routed that way then it could have split in the recent cold spell I guess... cheers for the idea I'll look into that.

COLVERT 14th March 2018 13:49

I'd go with a possible pipe leak too if it runs that way. Not heard of a front screen leak at the top here or in any other R75 forums.--:shrug:

ninaandphil 17th March 2018 22:26

Had a similar issue with mine when I first bought it. The front sunroof drain on the passenger side was partially blocked where it exits behind the wheel arch liner. I had to pour in quite a lot of water before it backed up into the sunroof recess. So it only leaked down the A pillar and above the interior lights when raining heavily. Not easy to spot, but very easy to fix, I snipped off the end of the drain pipe which is actually narrower than the tube, and out came a load of gunk! Not had an issue since... hope it helps....

Dawn 18th March 2018 08:37

My car leaks when the drains block, even though its been modded at the bottom. So if you have a sunroof, first port of call would be that. If you don't have a sunroof, I had to have a new screen on my Connie as it leaked. There were massive gaps in the sealant, but it was closer to the bottom, but I guess still possible on yours?

sewerman 18th March 2018 13:46

Had a relement seen on my tourer which occasionally in heavy rain ran down the inside of the screen so if it's a replacement could be a leaky seal

KWIL 18th March 2018 14:07

On the inside of the glass there is usually a foam strip all the way around between the glass and the trim + lining.. It is only just stuck in place. You may be able to peel it away locally and using a mirror and torch look up the inside to where the "seal" = bead of sealant is that holds the glass in place. Might help you to see if it is wet inside the top of the glass. I would try in the dark to aid vision.

allegroman 21st March 2018 08:32

The windscreen is original, but I do have a sunroof (which I 'thought' was draining ok).

Running the rear washer for a while didn't cause dampness to appear so I'm guessing it's not that (and I couldn't feel the pipe running that way). I have however taped up the sunroof and there's been no repeat of the dampness so it's probably a drain tube (it just seems a really odd place for the leak to manifest itself)...

Thanks all for your useful tips!

ozrover 21st March 2018 10:38

I had the same problem here- https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ght=headlining

Cut the ducks bill off per forum advice and the problem has not returned.