The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V6 versus Diesel (both auto). (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=289751)

MissMoppet 1st November 2018 20:42

V6 versus Diesel (both auto).

Today picked up a V6 auto (2003, 83K miles) to go with my Tourer diesel auto (remapped 160 and 117K miles) presuming it would be nippier, but it aint. I'm perplexed and disappointed.

OK runs smoothly enough but need to floor it to get kick-down and then nothing remarkable and putting in Sport mode really makes a difference to the diesel but neglible to the V6. The throttle is also much more sensitive in my old diesel, presuming that the sensor is better than a bowden cable? I could drive in slippers in the diesel but I think I'll have to find my wellies for the V6.

Is this normal chaps?

trikey 1st November 2018 20:47

Yep, afraid so, torque is king.

The V6 was never a powerful engine and has to be revved hard to get it to do anything.

BigRuss 2nd November 2018 00:02

As Andy says the torque of the diesel especially with the 160 wins hands down over the V6 so perfectly normal.

Are the Vis motors working ok, because that can make a big difference if they're not working properly ;)

Russ

stocktake 2nd November 2018 06:31

Also check the accelerator cable has no slack and is correctly adjusted

SD1too 2nd November 2018 07:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2683233)
... need to floor it to get kick-down and then nothing remarkable ... Is this normal chaps?

No Dave it isn't and I agree with Russ; your VIS actuators will be faulty (contact Stocktake, the author of the previous post, for a solution) and also your crankcase breather orifices will need clearing too. Both these items of maintenance will transform engine performance and gearbox response. :D

You don't say which engine you have: 2.0 or 2.5 litre? If the former, it is said that it has more Italian characteristics as far as revs are concerned but that's not true of the 2.5.

Simon

MissMoppet 2nd November 2018 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by stocktake (Post 2683310)
Also check the accelerator cable has no slack and is correctly adjusted

Yep I did tighten that up this AM, thanks.

MissMoppet 2nd November 2018 10:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2683319)
No Dave it isn't and I agree with Russ; your VIS actuators will be faulty (contact Stocktake, the author of the previous post, for a solution) and also your crankcase breather orifices will need clearing too. Both these items of maintenance will transform engine performance and gearbox response. :D

You don't say which engine you have: 2.0 or 2.5 litre? If the former, it is said that it has more Italian characteristics as far as revs are concerned but that's not true of the 2.5.

Simon

2.5L. I'll pursue your suggestions, many thanks.

MissMoppet 2nd November 2018 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2683358)
2.5L. I'll pursue your suggestions, many thanks.

I'm booked in for a T4 session next week to disable some options. Being of timid disposition and having delved into some VIS actuator threads I'm not excited about tackling this. Any chance the T4 will expose failures in the VIS area? (fingers crossed).

Dave.

SD1too 2nd November 2018 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissMoppet (Post 2683376)
Any chance the T4 will expose failures in the VIS area?

Yes it will.

Simon

Rick-sta 2nd November 2018 15:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2683319)

Simon

The vis motors were both working last time i checked. The top one which i think is the power one was clicking when first tested so i replaced that one with a working used one, tested once fitted and no clicking + made noticable difference. The other vis motor never made any clicking noise when tested.