The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Lower Sill. Abortion of a repair (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=265383)

Rev Jules 12th April 2017 08:29

Lower Sill. Abortion of a repair

As some of you may or not know, I recently purchased a LWB, in Metalic Silver
There was a faint bubble coming through on the drivers side lower sill, so I thought no real problem get it back to metal and make good, not my cup of tea, so put it into my regular garage, who I might add trust.
He does not do this work, but a little workshop a couple doors away renovates Morris Minors, agreed to do the work.

It went in last Wednesday, picked it up yesterday, My mechanic rang me up last Thursday telling me the bubble was worse than it looked and he has taken photos of the abortion of a repair that had been previously done, outwardly it looked okay nothing seriously to worry about.
After grinding the area down the hole got bigger and bigger till in the end it was at least 15 inches long, it had been repaired with two pieces of tin cut from could have been baked beans for all I know, these had been put into the hole and and secured with some sort of glue then expanding foam injected into the sill.
Was then had filler put over the top and sanded down, primed and sprayed.

They had to take off the chrome sill off because the rust had crept underneath it.

As far as I know this car had been in the ownership of at least three forum owners in the past, and they are far from regular users on here, so I dont really know them, the guy who repaired it has said this is not a private drive job so had to be from a garage, he saved all the bits that he had taken off, and looking at it he has made a really professional job, I have four photos of the bodge before it was repaired being on Whasap I don't know how to put them on here. in general I really love this car it is something I had worked up to. disappointed is to say the least, I shall be at Ragley Hall this weekend and Eden Camp later, if anyone wants to have a look please feel free to have a chat.

Rev Jules,

If any one knows anything about this car, or knows about the work done.
Contact me!!! work done

Lancpudn 12th April 2017 09:08

WoW! thats a ridiculously shocking repair gluing the metal piece in with expanding foam :eek: I've already had to weld around the r/n/s jacking point & outer sill on mine, It wont be the last lot of welding on my car either as I've noticed bubbling starting on the r/o/s sill too. :mad:

That's the trouble with this kind of welding job by the time you've cut the rot out & found good metal to weld to the hole ends up three times the size if not more.:mad:

The rot around the r/n/s jacking point on mine started as a golfball sized hole, but by the time I'd cut out & found some metal good enough to take a weld it was the size of a grapefruit.

Gate Keeper 12th April 2017 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2475316)

There was a faint bubble coming through on the drivers side lower sill, so I thought no real problem get it back to metal and make good, not my cup of tea, so put it into my regular garage, who I might add trust.
He does not do this work, but a little workshop a couple doors away renovates Morris Minors, agreed to do the work.

It went in last Wednesday, picked it up yesterday, My mechanic rang me up last Thursday telling me the bubble was worse than it looked and he has taken photos of the abortion of a repair that had been previously done, outwardly it looked okay nothing seriously to worry about.
After grinding the area down the hole got bigger and bigger till in the end it was at least 15 inches long, it had been repaired with two pieces of tin cut from could have been baked beans for all I know, these had been put into the hole and and secured with some sort of glue then expanding foam injected into the sill.

They had to take off the chrome sill off because the rust had crept underneath it.

As far as I know this car had been in the ownership of at least three forum owners in the past, and they are far from regular users on here, so I dont really know them, the guy who repaired it has said this is not a private drive job so had to be from a garage, he saved all the bits that he had taken off, and looking at it he has made a really professional job, I have four photos of the bodge before it was repaired being on Whasap I don't know how to put them on here. in general I really love this car it is something I had worked up to. disappointed is to say the least, I shall be at Ragley Hall this weekend and Eden Camp later, if anyone wants to have a look please feel free to have a chat.

Rev Jules,

Contact me!!! work done

I had a similar issue with LJW in 2014 and posted it up. The garage who did the repairs and welding Julien botched it and the car failed the MOT purely on the botch. A Rover garage begged me not to name and shame them on the OC. We then came to deal and the matter was resolved, LJW followed on and went through the MOT in shining colours. I posted it up on the enthusiasts forum and was referred to an Aston Martin Body Shop in Lincolnshire for high quality work and finish. The lesson I learned was to stick with the professionals. I appealed to all of the Rover 75 car forums/clubs to do the welding, but no one stepped up to help.

Brunty 12th April 2017 20:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancpudn (Post 2475333)
WoW! thats a ridiculously shocking repair gluing the metal piece in with expanding foam :eek: I've already had to weld around the r/n/s jacking point & outer sill on mine, It wont be the last lot of welding on my car either as I've noticed bubbling starting on the r/o/s sill too. :mad:

That's the trouble with this kind of welding job by the time you've cut the rot out & found good metal to weld to the hole ends up three times the size if not more.:mad:

The rot around the r/n/s jacking point on mine started as a golfball sized hole, but by the time I'd cut out & found some metal good enough to take a weld it was the size of a grapefruit.

Just paid £100 to have rear offside jacking point welded, rest of the car will probably rot out before this!

Saga Lout 12th April 2017 20:28

Sad.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2475316)

Rev Jules,

Contact me!!! work done

It makes me sad and angry that this kind of thing can happen, I've a repair on a ZT this year that has a perforated sill. I'm going to take out the seat and a piece of the inner sill to repair the outer one. There are too many bodgers out there I'm afraid, I do hope that it hasn't tainted your love of the car, we live and learn!

spyder 12th April 2017 20:44

I have just spent quite a few days under my 45, cutting and welding plates to fix two rust spots. Even on the drive it is not a hard job really (Albeit with the right tools).
If a garage did it, they should be ashamed of themselves.

I did have a Kia a few years back where the ABS lights was rewired to the oil pressure light.:eek:

Rev Jules 13th April 2017 14:32

2 Attachment(s)

Here are a couple of photos of what they took out before they could repair the sill.

Rev

Teflon 13th April 2017 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev Jules (Post 2476102)

Here are a couple of photos of what they took out before they could repair the sill.

Rev

:eek: That looks like the sort of repair I used to do on my old MK II Cortina. I had the excuse that I was 19 at the time and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I took the approach that if you couldn't see the rust, it was sorted!

Cliff

David Lawrence 13th April 2017 20:59

Here are the photos of Jules's op.
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psk4pcw0pi.jpg
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psbtyf4yse.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psy1yd8ltp.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/p...psvxjsoz9u.jpg

Teflon 13th April 2017 21:41

:eek: That's really not nice! (the "before" pics I mean).

Cliff