The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cooling ZT 190 (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=312173)

kraanc 5th April 2021 12:18

Cooling ZT 190

ZT 190 has a problem. Coolant temperature rising, raditor fan is coming on even after medium long ride in cold weather. It was only +4C today and crazy wind, going 100km/h but still fan comes on, not cooled enough? no coolant loss, atleast that i can see, didnt need toping up, but i constantly have to bleed coolant pipe, as there is air in it from somewhere. Today i got also error code p0141, o2 sensor heating circuit. But sensor itself would not be the issue for air in the system, right? Any ideas?

vitesse 5th April 2021 12:54

Are you running it with economy or acc selected? If acc then the fan will run all the time. Run the onboard diagnostics to be sure what temperature you are getting, the analogue gauge is useless.

The lambda fault code could be a problem with the wiring and I believe unrelated.

Air in the system but no need to top up or leaks sounds odd, hopefully not compression gases.

Regards

kaiser 5th April 2021 12:56

Any air in the system, apart from the expansion space, is water lost!
It is not possible to constantly having to bleed, and not losing water.

kraanc 5th April 2021 13:00

Yes, i know about ACC fan stuff, had to sort that too some years ago. I was running on econ. setting. Still fan comes on and system is overheating, or it seems atleast.
Coolant level loss didnt show up in expansion tank, though today i noticed that coolant pipe, where breather plug is, Was totaly empy. Maybe it is normal. Toped up 1L and turned engine on, the pipe got some fluid and air pushed out through breather.

kraanc 5th April 2021 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiser (Post 2875225)
Any air in the system, apart from the expansion space, is water lost!
It is not possible to constantly having to bleed, and not losing water.

Where else should i look for air? It is in expansion and bleeder pipe, as above.

kaiser 5th April 2021 14:18

It should only be in the expansion box. The coolant level is not more than covering about one or two centimeters above the bottom of the tank with cold engine.
If the pipe is also empty, that is water lost.
That is from a leak or blown out by a leaking head gasket.
I suggest you top up a couple of times and see if it settles!
Do so when cold.
Leaks to look for:
Thermostat and pipes, radiator, all plastic parts, water pump, oil cooler, metal pipes in front of radiator (especially in the bends), crack in expansion box, radiator cap. There might be more, but this is what I can think of at the moment.
I have had all above, at one stage or another!!!

SD1too 5th April 2021 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by kraanc (Post 2875218)
... didn't need topping up, but i constantly have to bleed coolant pipe, as there is air in it from somewhere ...

Hi Alvis,

Have you had any work done on your engine recently involving draining the coolant?

Simon