The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Wiper blades (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=125407)

Charles 29th September 2012 18:25

Wiper blades

Ordered a new pair of wiper blades over the internet and fitted them today. It's the first time I've done this myself. I noticed (too late) that the old blade on the driver's side had an anti-lift deflector on it; the new one doesn't. Does this matter? If so, is it possible to remove the deflector from the old blade and transfer it to the new one, or do I need to buy another new blade with a deflector for the driver's side and keep the one I have just fitted as a spare for the passenger's side?

oldcarguy 29th September 2012 18:33

Never had the need for a deflector and have driven in some terrible weather.

MangoMan 29th September 2012 18:37

The deflector, (spoiler) is an option of personal preference - I doubt if it will be removable.

pab 29th September 2012 18:42

The design of the Spoiler on the drivers side blade was to help keep pressure on the blade at higher speeds,for better performance.It seems to be a standard feature on Bosch blades.

alan richard 1st October 2012 17:04

Driving down motorway.
Got to about 85mph and had a mad screetching from what I thought was inside the clocks. Slowed down - noise stopped, Sped up - came back again. exactly at 85mph.
It brought to mind the old style cable driven speedo's and I started thinking I'd have to pull the instruments out and god knows what.

Eventually figured out it was my new flat wiper blade without a deflector vibrating against the screen.

7 quid each from Wilko's. Not very good though, wouldn't buy again.

-a

MangoMan 2nd October 2012 08:17

Yes, I'm afraid you do get what you pay for!

I've always, where possible, fitted Bosch Blades and have always been happy with the results! A couple of years ago I thought I would try a set of the 'cheaper' flat blades - they lasted the first day it rained.... I mean they were OK, but when measured up against a good quality blade, they were no contest, I suppose you could say if I had never tried the Bosch Blades then I might have been quite happy and put up with them, but having Bosch set the standard - no thanks amigo! Took them back and changed them for the 'proper' ones.....

Dave Goody 2nd October 2012 08:27

You get what you pay for?
well my Aldi £5 pair std blades worked perfectly, silently for 3 years. Just replaced with the same.
Why anyone would pay Bosch prices I don't know?

kfieldin 2nd October 2012 08:35

I have the A few years ago I put on Aero blades - cost ~£10 - never had a problem apart from slight lifting at the ends for about 1 inch - but this was at over 100mph. Now fitted Bosch Aero blades - a bit pricey at ~£20 and they are perfect - no lifting even at 120+

Before you start to slate me - both times was around Thruxton :-)

Singvogel 2nd October 2012 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Goody (Post 1107210)
You get what you pay for?
well my Aldi £5 pair std blades worked perfectly, silently for 3 years. Just replaced with the same.

Yes - you do get what you pay for.

I tried the cheap blades - once - (not from Aldi, I must admit) - for about 2 weeks then I couldn't stand it any more and bought the Bosch flat blades that I had before and didn't really appreciate.

Intermittent wipe at high speed was smeary with a single wipe of the cheapos.

With the built in deflector on the Bosch you also get much less flies hitting the screen - it must create more down pressure on the screen too, but it was the extra flies that really bothered me.

The Bosch Aerotwin blades are around £20 a set and I for one wouldn't buy any others.

However I do accept that it depends on the speeds and the annual mileage that one does.

Singvogel.

MangoMan 2nd October 2012 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Goody (Post 1107210)

Because obviously you've never tried them....... ;)